Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
4 output tubes, with 4 more smaller ones in series, so 8 exposed, and probably 8 inside the power supply.

I would start SE. You don't have to go balanced, it sounds fantastic anyway. And rolling tubes is easier to find out which suits your system, and with the high quality ones coming out it will make a big difference. Tube upgrade is high. Once you know your tubes go balanced

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Can't do without balanced. My system is full balance from DAC - Preamp - Amp all the way. :)

4 output tubes, with 4 more smaller ones in series, so 8 exposed, and probably 8 inside the power supply.

I would start SE. You don't have to go balanced, it sounds fantastic anyway. And rolling tubes is easier to find out which suits your system, and with the high quality ones coming out it will make a big difference. Tube upgrade is high. Once you know your tubes go balanced

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I am a bit disenchanted with the Lampi at the moment - still awaiting Lukasz to sort out my faulty amanero board and my GG does sound distorted with some, high output, program material using 242 valves.
I think they are crazy busy with PAC at the moment, hence the slower than usual response. Keep trying.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Same here..mine has issue with its AES/EBU input..I can only use its spdif input when connected to a CD transport. Right now, I have 2 CD transports. I have to plug and unplug every time I want to switch them. :(

I am a bit disenchanted with the Lampi at the moment - still awaiting Lukasz to sort out my faulty amanero board and my GG does sound distorted with some, high output, program material using 242 valves.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I would rather have the previous, frills free, price for sonics only style, rather than have to pay for aesthetics.

IMO that was inevitable. The price will not be increased because of that AFAIK.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
If it were true, my room will be an oven..right now GG uses 5 tubes, my preamp another 24 tubes, amp uses 38 tubes..Total is already 67 tubes..if Pacific uses 16 tubes, it will 78 tubes in total then. :p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think you should go analog and add a 3 box aesthetix IO eclipse with 26 tubes

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
If it were true, my room will be an oven..right now GG uses 5 tubes, my preamp another 24 tubes, amp uses 38 tubes..Total is already 67 tubes..if Pacific uses 16 tubes, it will 78 tubes in total then. :p

67 vs 78 ... doesn't sound like a big difference anymore ;)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Heh

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

Hi dctom,

I'm sorry if you're experiencing a delay--we are extremely slammed right now between RMAF, the upcoming launch party and several pre-orders of the Pacific. I'm not familiar with your case as you're outside of my territory, but I'm happy to follow up with Lukasz on your amanero when I speak to him later.

With respect to distortion, please know your DAC is NOT distorting, it is your amplifier. While the 242s are wonderful and probably my favorite, their gain does not make them universally well suited for all systems.

Best,

Fred

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had too, in March. I don't think Lukasz knew then either, tbh, they keep experimenting. Thing with Lampi dac is it gets better each year... So we stick to what we have and be satisfied, most of the upgrades before were cheap and tbh GG2 is fine. Pacific a bit expensive

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi Fred

Thanks for your reply. I spoke to Lukasz about my Dac back in August and Greg in the UK has been trying to sort it out - it is just frustrating that it has taken so long.

I have a passive transformer based pre amp - will this type of amp be susceptible to the distortion you describe?

Dave

Hi,

I had issues with response time as well. I think they are simply full up on capacity right now. Mine had gone in for installing the superclocks, repairing the spdif and getting the AES/EBU connection to work. It took more than a month and a dozen calls to chase up. So indeed frustrating but hopefully it's some consolation that you aren't alone.

By the way, my 2 cents on the Pacific - with a price tag, presumably, touching the 30k mark, while still potentially a giant slayer, it's by no means a 'value' buy anymore!

Cheers
Sujay

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing