Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
+the
I bought it with Valerio from Italian site audioantiquary.com , the tube was recommended by Trab, a fellow audiophile.
I bought 2 of them as I like their sound, I am affraid they are no longer available. Norman is right, this is Fivre 5r4gy from late 50’s, only 39 euro plus expensive shipment - 69 euro , still a bargain. I like it in my setup more than KR 5u4g RK which I still keep as a replacement. My PAC has an optional improved power supply to Amanero board, I recommend this upgrade very much to all of you who use usb as a main connection, together with FTA Callisto is a very good match.
My favourite Apricity usb cable does not work properly with PAC, during the test of LDMS it proved its quality though, the windows based music server works well with Apricity.

https://www.audioantiquary.com/en-us/categorie/valvole-rettificatrici/

They are commonly available on eBay.

I have a FIVRE 5U4G which I do use. Certainly preferable to Ked's KR 5U4G Anniversary rectifier but TBH I really didn't like that at all.

The FIVRE I have I would describe as slightly soft, spacious and easy on the ear. The KR I would describe as thin, steely sounding and overly etched. Horrid!

Reactions: Jazzhead

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
+the

They are commonly available on eBay.

I have a FIVRE 5U4G which I do use. Certainly preferable to Ked's KR 5U4G Anniversary rectifier but TBH I really didn't like that at all.

The FIVRE I have I would describe as slightly soft, spacious and easy on the ear. The KR I would describe as thin, steely sounding and overly etched. Horrid!

You should try again now that you have a different pre. for example, we both preferred the potato masher at yours to the KR, but in other systems the KR was just far superior to the masher, including on the Allnic

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
You should try again now that you have a different pre. for example, we both preferred the potato masher at yours to the KR, but in other systems the KR was just far superior to the masher, including on the Allnic

Hm. That's the problem, though. There is no right answer for everyone. The more you dabble the more you realise it.

I have a tough time thinking I'd ever like that KR but if you have a laid back overly warm system sound anyway it might help I guess.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hm. That's the problem, though. There is no right answer for everyone. The more you dabble the more you realise it.

I have a tough time thinking I'd ever like that KR but if you have a laid back overly warm system sound anyway it might help I guess.

Actually not. It is more about mating with the pre not whether it is laid back or not, valve or SS

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Another problem comes with NOS rectifiers. Some of those sold on eBay really aren't in top notch condition anymore. So comparing like with like is very hard. One person's U52 may be performing very differently to another's, for instance.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

KR or RK? The RK beats the regular KR.

Reactions: christoph

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Just tested my Chathams and they test brand spanking NOS.

20mA is new. The one I gave Ked is from the same batch so is in an excellent state.

Sorry about the sideways pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20191019_180716.jpg
    IMG_20191019_180716.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20191019_180636.jpg
    IMG_20191019_180636.jpg
    768 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20191019_181015.jpg
    IMG_20191019_181015.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
And the cheap Chatham has a mil spec both can only dream of.

Gotta love them for that alone.;)
Vaccum pressure higher in the RK.
I have a Chatham too (had 2 and gave Lukasz one 6 years ago for his amp project) and Al has every version A/B/Y.
RK is very good. So far only Tak beats it for sure.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Vaccum pressure higher in the RK.
I have a Chatham too (had 2 and gave Lukasz one 6 years ago for his amp project) and Al has every version A/B/Y.
RK is very good. So far only Tak beats it for sure.

Since you can't know what the vacuum pressure inside a Chatham is I'll say that's an educated guess? Or am I wrong?

Reactions: LampiNA

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Educated guess yes, but the vac pressure in the RK is 100x a normal recti. Its why the glass is so thick.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Educated guess yes, but the vac pressure in the RK is 100x a normal recti. Its why the glass is so thick.

Well if that's actually true they should say it on Best300B, instead.of "9th degree of vacuum" as it sounds a lot better.

Glass is thick to reduce microphony too. Trouble is I think it alters the character of the KR tubes in a non-positive way. But that's based in my sample of 1 RK valve, the 300B. So I could be very wrong. It might work well in the others for all I know.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Recti is not the same as output tube. I speak of the RK recti...though 2 people I know live the RK px25.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
And the cheap Chatham has a mil spec both can only dream of.

Gotta love them for that alone.;)
But my ears don't care about mil spec, they care about music.
As pleasing as the potatoe masher sounds, I much prefer both the KR 5u4g and even more so the RK 5u4g recti over the PM because both KR recties let me hear way deeper into the music ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Recti is not the same as output tube. I speak of the RK recti...though 2 people I know love the RK px25.
M and I? :p

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

I am hoping to be on that list too but Best300B has still not yet shipped my tubes which I ordered over 3 weeks ago.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
But my ears don't care about mil spec, they care about music.
As pleasing as the potatoe masher sounds, I much prefer both the KR 5u4g and even more so the RK 5u4g recti over the PM because both KR recties let me hear way deeper into the music ;)

Now I am using Luxman C-800F/M-800A, which is absolutely stunning the result could be different for me, because that combo sounds entirely different to my 211 monoblocks.

I doubt it though I still primarily use the Chatham.

Audio Note love the Chatham. They put it in a lot of their amps.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing