Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Which is why I never recommend balanced. I don't know a single guy with a balanced dac who succeeded in optimizing his Lampi by trying different tubes. He stuck to what he has. Audioquattr ls an exception who religiously bought many for his balanced dac.

I know theoretically you might think keep everything balanced, but I also think a well done single ended Lampi is more nuanced without losing anything else including in a balanced system. Provided you have RCA inputs to pre, of course.

Jazzhead is running a single ended in a balanced system. It sounds so good he won't change to balanced. He has both the Koda 15 and the trinity pre, only the Koda allows single ended, and he had trinity dac, aqua formula, the top Stahltek dac and transport, neodio origine, and TAD CD player. He sold off everything and uses TAD as the transport to his GG 1 with KR 242 tubes.

I don't need balanced. It just happens to be the model that is being sold here...your analogy with analog rigs is a good one though.

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Before starting my speakers journey ( cf my thread in the speakers section) , I was actually looking for a DAC to replace my Chord Dave /Mscaler combo ( had dCS Vivaldi 3stack before). On my short list I had Totaldac,ChP,Msb ref, Esoteric D1x, Emm Labs and the Pacific.
All those DACs are sounding good,some really great but long story short I have the Pac ! ( the fact that I could test it at home greatly contributed ) This is the SE version with PX25 tube without VC but with a low gain/high gain switch. ( I have also some Emm 300b XLS tubes that I did not try yet). I am extremely pleased with it. I have the density that I was looking for without sacrificing anything in terms of dynamics,resolution or clarity.
I tried the Pacific with different set of speakers ( the Avantgarde Zero and the YG Sonja) and different preamp/power amp ( Accuphase,Soulution) and the pleasure was there with every combo.

PS: Now I did not test the other contenders at home so maybe (maybe not...)I would have reached the same level of enjoyment with some of the other DACs.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Before starting my speakers journey ( cf my thread in the speakers section) , I was actually looking for a DAC to replace my Chord Dave /Mscaler combo ( had dCS Vivaldi 3stack before). On my short list I had Totaldac,ChP,Msb ref, Esoteric D1x, Emm Labs and the Pacific.
All those DACs are sounding good,some really great but long story short I have the Pac ! ( the fact that I could test it at home greatly contributed ) This is the SE version with PX25 tube without VC but with a low gain/high gain switch. ( I have also some Emm 300b XLS tubes that I did not try yet). I am extremely pleased with it. I have the density that I was looking for without sacrificing anything in terms of dynamics,resolution or clarity.
I tried the Pacific with different set of speakers ( the Avantgarde Zero and the YG Sonja) and different preamp/power amp ( Accuphase,Soulution) and the pleasure was there with every combo.

PS: Now I did not test the other contenders at home so maybe (maybe not...)I would have reached the same level of enjoyment with some of the other DACs.

Thanks for the journey summary. May i ask what rectifier you are using? Also i didn't know there was a low gain/high gain option??

Reactions: christoph and Golum

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Thanks for the journey summary. May i ask what rectifier you are using? Also i didn't know there was a low gain/high gain option??

I am using the 54ug RK edition. I did not compare with any other rectifier but based on my reading this was a very safe (and wise) choice.
Regarding this switch, this is an option that I chose after discussion with the very nice and helpful people from Lampizator : giving you more flexibility ( whatever your tube choice or downstream gears) without having a VC . I can also confirm this was a gd choice: using low gain with my headphones rig ( and Avantgarde speakers ) , high gain with the Sonja speakers .

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I am using the 54ug RK edition. I did not compare with any other rectifier but based on my reading this was a very safe (and wise) choice.
Regarding this switch, this is an option that I chose after discussion with the very nice and helpful people from Lampizator : giving you more flexibility ( whatever your tube choice or downstream gears) without having a VC . I can also confirm this was a gd choice: using low gain with my headphones rig ( and Avantgarde speakers ) , high gain with the Sonja speakers .
Thanks for the tip Moby regarding high/low gain switch!

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks. Do you know the voltage for each gain setting?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Just checked - now each Pac unit w/o VC has this low/high gain switch which is cool to have.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I am using the 5u4g RK edition. I did not compare with any other rectifier but based on my reading this was a very safe (and wise) choice.
I would also recommend the RK edition 5u4g rectifier and the new RK edition PX25 output tubes with the Pacific. This combo sounds extremely good in the Pacific in quite a wide array of systems I heard so far and is therefore an optimal starting (and probably end) point.
I have many different output tubes myself (and apart from the very expensive Takatsuki holy trinity), the RK 5u4g with RK PX25 combo is an extremely good sounding match in the Pacific. In my ex-Golden Gate 1.9, I preferred the KR 242 output tubes over the PX25 but not anymore in the Pacific.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Just checked - now each Pac unit w/o VC has this low/high gain switch which is cool to have.

So does my Big 7 MKII. This was added with the upgrade.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
2V and 6V ( with PX25 tube). It can be customised .
Oh dear, again an update ;)
BTW, PAC with KR PX 25 and Italian smooth rectifier from late 50s here, SE with no VC.

Attachments

• 05B27A9C-B550-43A2-A084-A55572651E38.jpeg
    05B27A9C-B550-43A2-A084-A55572651E38.jpeg
    615.9 KB · Views: 35

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
DSG-COLLAGE-312-page-001.jpg
For our friends who will be attending Capital Audiofest, please stop in and hear the Pacific DAC in room 312 where we will also have the World Debut of the LampizatOr KT-150 amplifier and Audionec Evo 2 loudspeakers.

Attachments

• DSG-COLLAGE-312-page-001.jpg
    DSG-COLLAGE-312-page-001.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: abeidrov

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Oh dear, again an update ;)
BTW, PAC with KR PX 25 and Italian smooth rectifier from late 50s here, SE with no VC.

Can you provide a link to this rectifier, please? I am not familiar.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Can you provide a link to this rectifier, please? I am not familiar.
I bought it with Valerio from Italian site audioantiquary.com , the tube was recommended by Trab, a fellow audiophile.
I bought 2 of them as I like their sound, I am affraid they are no longer available. Norman is right, this is Fivre 5r4gy from late 50’s, only 39 euro plus expensive shipment - 69 euro , still a bargain. I like it in my setup more than KR 5u4g RK which I still keep as a replacement. My PAC has an optional improved power supply to Amanero board, I recommend this upgrade very much to all of you who use usb as a main connection, together with FTA Callisto is a very good match.
My favourite Apricity usb cable does not work properly with PAC, during the test of LDMS it proved its quality though, the windows based music server works well with Apricity.

https://www.audioantiquary.com/en-us/categorie/valvole-rettificatrici/

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing