Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Dac listens for me at shows are usually negative instead of positive, so they are worse than a data point

It is why you have to listen a lot in different conditions, ignore the many negatives and seriously consider the few positives.

When I get new equipment I do not expect it to sound immediately wonderful - but I already have a few data points I know it can match.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Tang,

The lite 7, big 7 and golden gate can take the 300b and also do PX4, PX25, 101d, 45, and 242. These are all output valves, and the valve you see in the front of the dac you posted is the rectifier which is 274b or 5u4g. Valves can be had from various NOS as well as special ones made by KR and EML.

The heat sink, power supply, parts, circuitry improves as you go up the chain. The Pacific will be twice that of the GG in size.

So in the link you posted there are 2 output valves and one recti. Pacific will have additional 4 in the power supply (not exposed, I think). It will also have 4 output valves instead of 2, as it will have the pair in series. So with the rectifier and 4 output valves, that is 5 exposed valves, plus 4. Hope that clarifies.

I seriously doubt that. If there are 2 triodes per single ended line-level output it makes much more sense for one triode to be used as a plate load for the other. So the balanced version will have 8 DHT power tubes? Lol...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, there is one pair DHT, and the other pair in series is a small tube

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Actually, there is one pair DHT, and the other pair in series is a small tube

Maybe you can ask for more details on the circuit, if that's the case I'd have to guess cathode follower output to reduce and standardize output impedance. A follower would also be in series, so this makes more sense.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The pics are on Facebook

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Maybe you can ask for more details on the circuit, if that's the case I'd have to guess cathode follower output to reduce and standardize output impedance. A follower would also be in series, so this makes more sense.

Cathode followers are not fashionable at all ... :D

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Cathode followers are not fashionable at all ... :D

I know... but it is possible to build one that is very transparent. Like driver stages, the simplest cathode followers are not ideal and sound bad (imo). Using a circuit with 2 triodes like a White cathode follower offers many advantages that can make a circuit sound better than without. It reduces the load on the amplifying triode and also reduces output impedance, which reduces or eliminates the effect of the following device's input impedance and current requirements.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Hello All,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I will have the new LampizatOr Pacific DAC and Super Komputer in my room at RMAF.

Please visit us in room 5030 for a listen where we will debut our new statement pieces alongside room partners Salk Audio and Wywires.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Fred

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
That is what I call progres - laser engraved rear panel:

USPaUA.jpg

I hope they will become standard on all models.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Nice step up , the previous labels had a strong whiff of a d.i.y er at work . Rather crude it was , this looks propah !

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice step up , the previous labels had a strong whiff of a d.i.y er at work . Rather crude it was , this looks propah !

I would rather have the previous, frills free, price for sonics only style, rather than have to pay for aesthetics.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I would rather have the previous, frills free, price for sonics only style, rather than have to pay for aesthetics.

That is now called GG2 - original chassis with updated electronics - and an upgrade path is available to existing GG owners.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That is now called GG2 - original chassis with updated electronics - and an upgrade path is available to existing GG owners.

Great - I don't doubt Pacific sonics will be worth the upgrade, I don't want to pay for a sexy looking finish is all I am saying, for any component, except in some cases the speaker because it forms such a large part of the living room. And turntables, possibly

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Great - I don't doubt Pacific sonics will be worth the upgrade, I don't want to pay for a sexy looking finish is all I am saying, for any component, except in some cases the speaker because it forms such a large part of the living room. And turntables, possibly

Sure and understood though there are also differences between the circuitry of these two models, especially on the digital side. Once the units start shipping in a month's time, then the user reports on sonics can begin to trickle through.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes I have no doubt the new circuitry and additional tubes as well as new DHTs will take it to a much higher level than the GG or the GG2. I would just have to not spend 500 quid or 1k or 2k or whatever percentage of the upgrade cost on the finish :)

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

Notice the 300B designation, will it accept other tubes?
PCM only listed as 384khz, why not 768Khz?
DSD512 overprinted on other text.
Co. , should be Co.,

I accept it's only a prototype so some further work to do.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Notice the 300B designation, will it accept other tubes?
PCM only listed as 384khz, why not 768Khz?
DSD512 overprinted on other text.
Co. , should be Co.,

I accept it's only a prototype so some further work to do.

Yes, it will accept other tubes as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing