Dec 11, 2013
On any outlet Lampi the recti is paramount in sound
On the pacific not so much. Yes better is better but not like before

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Was just looking @ my GG2

it has KR PX4s and a KR 5G4U 2016 Lampi SE, not PSVANE PX4 as I said earlier.

What caps do you have?

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
Lampizator Pacific: Comparing LAN input to USB input

Setup USB: Sonore UltraRendu configured as Roon endpoint powered by UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 fed by LAN from Aquvox AQ-SWITCH SE. Output is a two inch USB type A to B adapter link by Kreder Audio Tuning into the Pacific´s USB input.

Setup LAN: LAN from Aquvox AQ-SWITCH SE.

After listening to my new Pacific in the LAN configuration since setup nine days ago I installed the USB path which took me some time. Right from cold start it sounded worse in comparison to what I was used to. Bad integration of “s” sounds, more nervous, more “hifi”…
For an hour or so I did my best to like it and couldn´t.
Then I switched back to LAN input and relaxed right away. More organic and musical, more information, more detailed space representation, cleaner.
In my chain and to my ears LAN is a clear winner over USB.
This is consistent with what Pawel Derkowsky of Lampizator said without hesitation when asked.
Hth
Charlie

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Wow that’s complex can you try the usb right out of your sever and comment please

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Wow that’s complex can you try the usb right out of your sever and comment please

Sorry but I´m so sure the USB out of my music computer will sound even worse that I don´t want to go there. LAN rules!:)

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Wow a loaded deck comment ok then carry on

Sorry, I don´t understand "loaded deck comment" because my English vocabulary is not good enough and the internet didn´t help this time.
I don´t want to be impolite or offensive.
It´s just that I feel it´s an unnecessarry husstle. I have been optimising my USB connection for several years, built my own music computer (thanks to Computer Audiophile threads and help), went from MicroRendu to UltraRendu, added the UltraCap supply, optimized cables, added ifi iUSB 3.0, and all that jazz... I really don´t feel I have to go back to USB right out of the computer. Been there, done that.

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Interesting information indeed.

Are direct from your server. Or to an ethernet switch? Do you use high end ether cable?

Thx

Hi jturbo!

I did write some of that today at 4:44 (not my local time): Aquvox AQ-SWITCH SE.
http://www.myhifishop.de/Devices/AQ...h-End-Network-Switch-audio-LAN-isola::87.html
There is a TP-Link fibreglass connection in between the router and the switch for galvanic isolation.
The LAN cable out of the Aquvox is the top of the line Aquvox (which I didn´t find in their online shop right now). The other LAN cables are "Supra Cables Cat 8 STP Patch network cable 2000MHz Ethernet>40Gb OFC" from eBay.
Hth
Charlie

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Hi jturbo!

I did write some of that today at 4:44 (not my local time): Aquvox AQ-SWITCH SE.
http://www.myhifishop.de/Devices/AQ...h-End-Network-Switch-audio-LAN-isola::87.html
There is a TP-Link fibreglass connection in between the router and the switch for galvanic isolation.
The LAN cable out of the Aquvox is the top of the line Aquvox (which I didn´t find in their online shop right now). The other LAN cables are "Supra Cables Cat 8 STP Patch network cable 2000MHz Ethernet>40Gb OFC" from eBay.
Hth
Charlie

Thanks, I missed the switch info when reading your earlier post.

Are you using a single ethernet port on the roon server for control/streaming and playback towards the lampi?

If the server has an internet/control facing ethernet port and a second port towards the DAC ... Im wondering if maybe a dedicated ethernet connection between the roon server and Lampi would be best? I guess maybe im wondering if the switch between the server & DAC is beneficial in some way.

Thanks!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Has anyone used this to isolate data over enther net
It’s cheap , 1000 mhtz rated , true Galvonized isolation
Uses no power or electronics
Is RFI EMI insulated.
Any thoughts ?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
The EMO devices are quite well known on Computer Audiophile, especially the EN-70 model. Acoustic revive / Baaske / Giso / SoTm also offer similar galvanic isolation transformers.

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks, I missed the switch info when reading your earlier post.

Are you using a single ethernet port on the roon server for control/streaming and playback towards the lampi?

If the server has an internet/control facing ethernet port and a second port towards the DAC ... Im wondering if maybe a dedicated ethernet connection between the roon server and Lampi would be best? I guess maybe im wondering if the switch between the server & DAC is beneficial in some way.

Thanks!

Yes I´m still using only one (onboard) ethernet connection out of my music computer but I know I should be using this:
https://jcat.eu/product/net-card-femto/
And I intend to after selling my surplus USB stuff.
The Aquvox switch is very beneficial, surprisingly so to my ears.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The EMO devices are quite well known on Computer Audiophile, especially the EN-70 model. Acoustic revive / Baaske / Giso / SoTm also offer similar galvanic isolation transformers.

I read some of the threads on there. The modle I picked has the lowest insert loss of all the models they sell
The posted results on there forums seem rather odd at times to me.
Regarding usb to lan inputs on DACs. I personally feel usb is better if one takes care of isolation and uses a good source.
Network interface I view as a new flavor more than a better interface but it seems there are many groups who have made up there minds from others not there own through testing.
While I build my own servers and have tried many methods in pursuing great digital I don’t see the gains in sound
I have a Nuc and a HB they both work well as a NAA for usb ina convenient way not a better sound.
Network isolation is paramount if one uses a sever that has outside drives as i a NAS or SAN.
But few truly isolate there networks right
An audio network must be on its own network so data traffic is not with anything else but the audio devices
Most fixated on expensive cables and network switch’s but leave out the above.
A router never should be in a audio network other than being the dhcp for s dedicated network.
LPS is a must but special network sws while harmless have less effect and are costly
Make all your devices static
Use one switch just for audio alone
Use an isolation device at its input from outside network
Use isolation at dac usb input a must for DACs and cut power at sever for usb if dac does not need it.
Use a isolation for usb that also cuts the shield as well at the dac.

My setup is a three pc setup and I have yet to find a NAA input to best a usb input some gdt close or have little effects but none clean completely a bad source
Some now use a low power nuc and run a operating system
On it with a player too. It’s the new fad that for me does not work well.
A low power nuc or HB Is a good NAA only not a OS or player it’s just a pass on and this is where it’s best used
Some say they have built severs and have given up and claim network is just better , I feel they have not done so well and must be missing a simple concept
The OS is paramount on a server and for me there is only two kinds that yield good results
But I’ll bet the ones that Work well were not used.
Don’t look st this post as a bash to others but look at it as a true guide to build on better sound
Expensive network sws or data cables may sound better to some but of the server , network is inplimemted well it’s not needed.
I don’t use any expensive stuff in my setup

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Al

In your experience, is it better to go directly from the Server (in my case Lampi SK) via USB into the DAC (Lampi GG) than via NAA?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes
for me usb gives me the best sound but must be done well. Usb power cutter and usb iso device I use a shirt block made by empirical audio.
NAA is also a good sound but for me is just behind usb no matter what I do. but again it must be done well.
A good HB fed from a LPS is very good but why add this if it’s not for remote playback. At some point simple wins but if done well network may be close enough

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing