Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The WVL room was not good sounding with the small speakers. I didn't get to hear the larger ones with the augmented full range driver...

For Munich I thought it was nice. Didn't see any other small room I liked

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
For Munich I thought it was nice. Didn't see any other small room I liked

For that type of speaker/amps I thought Voxativ was pretty good (they made the room small by orientation of 90degrees) and Supravox downstairs in a really small room (much smaller than the WVL room and IMO much better sounding but not with analog). I agree with you that the Lampizator is not at all indicative on the open floor. Question is then why bother with sound at all?? Just do static display.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I didn't hear the supravox nor the voxativ, though I have never liked the later in Munich nor the 100k ampeggio due I heard in a private system

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I didn't hear the supravox nor the voxativ, though I have never liked the later in Munich nor the 100k ampeggio due I heard in a private system

The new Ampeggio with field coil was very nice sound...best Voxativ yet that I have heard...although I would still probably use their nice dipole subs to augment the deep bass.

Supravox was a very pleasant surprise as their single driver speaker was smooth and open with some real bass (the TQWT enclosure seems to be well done). What was really impressive was the three-way open baffle design that is technically still a prototype but will sell for about 10K euro when released...this shoots right up to the top of the heap in the price class...and beyond! Ridiculously good for that money and should shame others on their exorbitant pricing. Surpavox are not at all cheap drivers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Where are they located in EU?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks, will go there once

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Hi All,

Just placed the order to trade my GG2 to a Pacific. Im unfamiliar with tube choices for the pacific. My GG2 has Psvane PX4s, which I havent compared to anything else.
What will the pacific ship with? Are there choices that I should request?

Thanks.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have been lucky to have the pacific in my setup for about 3 weeks or more. I own a fair amount of tubes and will be posting part of the pacific. While I have my favorites many tubes sound great with it. As I recall the px 4 is nice polite tube it doesn’t do any wrong
A passive type of sound. For me I have large speakers and like a I am there stage and what every drop of presence when playing
The RK 300b is a nice tube a bit above the px 4 type of staging. The pacific Does no wrong with tubes in fact tubes I didn’t like had less of dislikes and more of likes.
The recti used can make or break a tube set
The RK is a good recti too.
Ask Lampi and post what they say. I’ll be positing my tube roll soon.
Enjoying the ride is a big part of owning a Lampi. The sound or no house sound of the dac is of its best feature after it’s massive level of details ina level of refinement.

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
The new Lampizator Pacific replaced my “old” (2 years) Golden Gate one (bought from Shakti by the way) a week ago and has been running in since then. I had to make my choice of tubes beforehand, decided on T 100 and am very happy with my choice. The DAC is very quiet, the volume level is in the – 40 dB range for normal listening and the output impedance seems to be perfectly right for my PS Audio BHK 250 amp (no loss of heights). My speakers German Physiks PQS 302 really came alive.
Soundwise the Pacific surpasses the GGI to my ears by about the same margin that DAC surpassed the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC I had before. In other words it sounds pretty dam much better…
… and still running in. Audiophile nirvana reached right now…:)

Charlie

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
welcome to WBF!
looks like, that I need the Pacific too ....

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The new Lampizator Pacific replaced my “old” (2 years) Golden Gate one (bought from Shakti by the way) a week ago and has been running in since then. I had to make my choice of tubes beforehand, decided on T 100 and am very happy with my choice. The DAC is very quiet, the volume level is in the – 40 dB range for normal listening and the output impedance seems to be perfectly right for my PS Audio BHK 250 amp (no loss of heights). My speakers German Physiks PQS 302 really came alive.
Soundwise the Pacific surpasses the GGI to my ears by about the same margin that DAC surpassed the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC I had before. In other words it sounds pretty dam much better…

Charlie
Wonderful news Charlie!!!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Charlie

Hi Charlie, congrats.

Which caps did you have in your GG, were they Mundorf, Jupiter or duelund? Also, what valves were you using with your GG?

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Hi Charlie, congrats.

Which caps did you have in your GG, were they Mundorf, Jupiter or duelund? Also, what valves were you using with your GG?

Hi Bonzo!

The caps I do not really recall, might have been Duelunds. The tubes were four KR 45 and Emission Labs 5U4G.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bonzo!

The caps I do not really recall, might have been Duelunds. The tubes were four KR 45 and Emission Labs 5U4G.

Ok, just wanted to understand... Your compare is between GG with KR 45 and the Pacific with T100?

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Ok, just wanted to understand... Your compare is between GG with KR 45 and the Pacific with T100?

Yes and out of memory because the GG was returned on arrival of the Pacific. And I used USB out of an UltraRendu into a DDC and an AES/EBU signal into the GG. I´m using LAN into the Pacific now so its comparing apples with oranges anyway. Never heared a GG two either.

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing