Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Dac listens for me at shows are usually negative instead of positive, so they are worse than a data point
    It is why you have to listen a lot in different conditions, ignore the many negatives and seriously consider the few positives.

When I get new equipment I do not expect it to sound immediately wonderful - but I already have a few data points I know it can match.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : conrad Johnson GAT, Lamm M1.2, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables ...

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Tang,

The lite 7, big 7 and golden gate can take the 300b and also do PX4, PX25, 101d, 45, and 242. These are all output valves, and the valve you see in the front of the dac you posted is the rectifier which is 274b or 5u4g. Valves can be had from various NOS as well as special ones made by KR and EML.

The heat sink, power supply, parts, circuitry improves as you go up the chain. The Pacific will be twice that of the GG in size.

So in the link you posted there are 2 output valves and one recti. Pacific will have additional 4 in the power supply (not exposed, I think). It will also have 4 output valves instead of 2, as it will have the pair in series. So with the rectifier and 4 output valves, that is 5 exposed valves, plus 4. Hope that clarifies.
    I seriously doubt that. If there are 2 triodes per single ended line-level output it makes much more sense for one triode to be used as a plate load for the other. So the balanced version will have 8 DHT power tubes? Lol...
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Actually, there is one pair DHT, and the other pair in series is a small tube
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Maybe you can ask for more details on the circuit, if that's the case I'd have to guess cathode follower output to reduce and standardize output impedance. A follower would also be in series, so this makes more sense.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Likely as a gain or driver tube. The dealer info pack doesn’t go into any detail on this.
    Owner www.sablonaudio.com, PF & 6M award winning custom audio cables

Reseller for Lampizator and SGM Music Server

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    The pics are on Facebook
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

The GG has different number of exposed tubes between SE and Balanced models. I wonder if the same will apply to Pacific DAC?

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    not even...its a one off dac for his tube company. only 1 ever made.

i am now hearing that the pac may have 5 exposed tubes.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    uh, why is a Lampi thread on this forum?
    nice catch! at least someone is paying attention. :-)

just ask the mods to move it....and wal-la....it's moved.

please move this to the Lampi or digital forms.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, Tara GME w/HRX 2m RCA's. *Tripoint Troy Sig, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Maybe you can ask for more details on the circuit, if that's the case I'd have to guess cathode follower output to reduce and standardize output impedance. A follower would also be in series, so this makes more sense.
    Cathode followers are not fashionable at all ...
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : conrad Johnson GAT, Lamm M1.2, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables ...

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Cathode followers are not fashionable at all ...
    I know... but it is possible to build one that is very transparent. Like driver stages, the simplest cathode followers are not ideal and sound bad (imo). Using a circuit with 2 triodes like a White cathode follower offers many advantages that can make a circuit sound better than without. It reduces the load on the amplifying triode and also reduces output impedance, which reduces or eliminates the effect of the following device's input impedance and current requirements.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345