Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This is a nice analysis. Looks like T100 is the way to go based on the description, in the Pacific (not GG)

Having used the T100 for around a decade (in the KR VA350i) as an amplifier tube, I can confirm that it is a beefy yet transparent sounding tube. I am curious though how it is being used here as an output tube without an output transformer as it has a quite high impedance compared to the other tubes compared. With this tube in that configuration it might be hard to match it properly to the rest of the chain. Or is it being used as a cathode follower, which would give a significantly lower output impedance. I know that the 300B can be lowered through the right choice of operating point to around 1Kohm, which is tolerable but a big transmitter tube usually starts around 10Kohm...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
There is still a lot to pay on top. The question is for what? The GG is too good and so easily malleable with two valves, I can make it sound the way I want with the electronics I have. To better it a bit is not my goal. Academically I would be interested in the comparison. The other things I have to buy from scratch, so definitely more important than an upgrade.

On the other hand, as you don't have any of those other things yet, you have the chance to start with a top of the line source first and tailor everything else to that component...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On the other hand, as you don't have any of those other things yet, you have the chance to start with a top of the line source first and tailor everything else to that component...

I already have a top of line source I can tailor to :D. The delta won't get me further.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Having used the T100 for around a decade (in the KR VA350i) as an amplifier tube, I can confirm that it is a beefy yet transparent sounding tube. I am curious though how it is being used here as an output tube without an output transformer as it has a quite high impedance compared to the other tubes compared. With this tube in that configuration it might be hard to match it properly to the rest of the chain. Or is it being used as a cathode follower, which would give a significantly lower output impedance. I know that the 300B can be lowered through the right choice of operating point to around 1Kohm, which is tolerable but a big transmitter tube usually starts around 10Kohm...
I wonder if its an RK special T100 with different parameters to the "normal one"?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This 300b too is very different and was made as a cross between the 300 and the 242

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
This 300b too is very different and was made as a cross between the 300 and the 242
That I didnt know. No wonder Gopher really likes it.

The RK tubes are a different beast in any case. They all seems a step up from the already classic KR tubes.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I wonder if its an RK special T100 with different parameters to the "normal one"?

It seems unlikely to have totally different values...it wouldn't be the same tube type anymore.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Anyone taken delivery of one yet? A friend of a friend ordered one and it is 2 months over the estimated 2 month lead time.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Anyone taken delivery of one yet? A friend of a friend ordered one and it is 2 months over the estimated 2 month lead time.

Heard they are in the final stages. The case finish is being done...all else complete for the first 6 units and 6 more almost done.
They seem VERY pleased with the outcome and will not rush until totally ready.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

I'm pleased to report four final specification Pacific's have shipped to the US in the last week with several more on the way.

Here's some feedback I received today from a happy new owner:

Hi Fred,

Here's the latest update:

The special Riccardo Kron Anniversary tubes reached a breakthrough after 100 hours of burn in and are now noticeably superior to the (already outstanding) KR PX4 and 5G4U tubes. I fully expect the Riccardo tubes will continue to improve with another 100 hours of burn in time. Compared with other tubes, they have an immediacy, intense clarity, and delicate rendering of micro details with no exaggeration of tonalities and with zero harshness or grain.

The Pacific DAC is now at a mind-bending level of musicality unlike anything I've ever heard; it's more than twice as good now as it was right out of the flight case. There's a pervasive elegance and depth to each piece of music. The Pacific has an assured, confident strength, never forcing its will upon the music but allowing every nuance and subtlety within the recording to be expressed without coloration or distortion in a three dimensional space that in many ways recreates the experience of a live performance. There's a full expression of dynamic range and a startling immediacy of each note without hardness or artificiality. The music envelops you with a deep, enrapturing quality that stays with you long after the music ends. Ahhhh....

Best regards,

Christopher

Photo Guy

Apr 10, 2018
Portland, Oregon area
I've had my Pacific DAC for almost two weeks now and continue to be astonished by the dramatic upgrade it is from my Golden Gate DAC (used a Big 7 DAC before the GG). The GG is absolutely top-notch but the Pacific goes way beyond that: even deeper, clearer bass response, richer textural quality to the music... if music was a fabric, it would shimmer and sparkle in the sunlight of the Pacific, not in an artificial way, but showing the subtle nuances and depths of colors, the fine texture of the weave, and the nature of the materials used. Enough chatting for now, I'm going back for more...

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Any feedback on Pacific’s performance at Axpona?

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Any feedback on Pacific’s performance at Axpona?

https://audiobacon.net/2018/04/19/axpona-2018-show-report-day-2/8/

Room 654: Daedalus Audio, Lampizator, Linear Tube Audio, Skogrand Cables. This Lampizator Pacific DAC ($29,995) with its 300B/5U4G/6H6P tubes is beautifully shiny and sounds phenomenal. This config also includes: Lampizator SuperKomputer ($8,500), LTA MicroZOTL preamp ($3,850), Ultralinear ZOTL power amp ($6,800). Daedalus Apollo 11 speakers ($22,800). The combination of these fantastic products simply forms a tonal gestalt of euphoria and bliss. A perfect balance of clarity, detail, warmth, and texture. Just a very organic and inviting sound that keeps you in your seat. One of the few standouts at the show.

Reactions: Bliesc

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I can't wait to get ours

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing