Torqueo ordered

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you have an opinion on Garrard vs Lenco vs Torqueo ? Other than the looks, where does the Torqueo score over the usual suspects ?

Lenco is much more dynamic and bassier and larger stage than the Garrard - also more than the 124. The best Lencos I heard were the PTP and the OMA Anatase...I also prefer the Schopper TD 124. That said all 3 have a very different sound, and if one likes all, he will have to buy all. I would like to own both the Schopper and the Anatase and sell one off after a longer listen. Then I would like a DD, not sure which one. I have no idea about Torqueo waiting for it to reach Gian.

Pani

Jun 4, 2013
Lenco is much more dynamic and bassier and larger stage than the Garrard - also more than the 124. The best Lencos I heard were the PTP and the OMA Anatase...I also prefer the Schopper TD 124. That said all 3 have a very different sound, and if one likes all, he will have to buy all. I would like to own both the Schopper and the Anatase and sell one off after a longer listen. Then I would like a DD, not sure which one. I have no idea about Torqueo waiting for it to reach Gian.

Thanks Bonzo, Artisan Fidelity also makes a version around Lenco, it is called "Achates". It has got some good reviews too and seems to be well designed and a very clear step forward from the usual Lenco builds.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Bonzo, Artisan Fidelity also makes a version around Lenco, it is called "Achates". It has got some good reviews too and seems to be well designed and a very clear step forward from the usual Lenco builds.

Yes but you will be paying a lot for art, I.e looks of plinth etc

Pani

Jun 4, 2013
I am rather interested in the modifications they do to the Lenco. Can’t we ask them to make a Achates Lenco in a simple “looking” plinth ?

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Pani

I am sitting on the fence to read at least one serious user review before I make a buying decision around Torqueo turntables

You make a valid point. In truth, with all due respect to the effort put into this tribute, there is likely a very good reason the Rek-O-Kut Rondine L34's never achieved cult audiophile status like Garrard 301, 401, Lenco L75 and Thorens TD124, especially considering the model has been around since 1955.

Still, they are beautiful works of art :)

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Pani

I am rather interested in the modifications they do to the Lenco. Can’t we ask them to make a Achates Lenco in a simple “looking” plinth ?

A friend of mine asked them the same thing earlier this year, they said absolutely yes regarding the scaled custom design requests. Furthermore, the Achates SE model lies one up from the Achates, and it has a much smaller footprint, although its very heavy and a true no holds barred Artisan Fidelity Lenco based idler drive.

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
bonzo 75

Yes but you will be paying a lot for art, I.e looks of plinth etc

Greetings! After having listened intently to both the OMA Anatase and Artisan Fidelity Achates in person, I can vouch for the later having far greater engineering enhancements that the former. ie. OMA - Slate plinth, solid chassis plate, OMA bearing, OMA Idler wheel. ie. Artisan Fidelity - AF hardwood composite and Panzerholz plinth, AF solid ss chassis plate, AF heavy Copper alloy platter, AF Idler wheel, AF inverted Sapphire main bearing, Stillpoints Ultra, AF dual arm capable. IMO, equates to better value and playback capability with the Achates, not to mention the divine aesthetics. Full disclosure, not really a fan of the Slate plinth's tonal attributes, merely a personal preference, used to have a Technics OMA Sp10Mk2 slate plinth model so this I established very early on.

Agreed with the TD124 comparison, much prefer a properly implemented Lenco based drive any day of the week. Listened to the Schopper TD124 many times, always just felt it was "ok" to be quite honest. Cannot agree with your Garrard vs. Lenco comparison, but then again I am biased, as my Garrard 301 based front end is far from typical. :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi thanks good feedback. PTP too moved away from slate plinth for his Lenco, and I did hear what you say about tonal attributes from other sources, but I think OMA at his place combines all together well for the system the Anates is in.

I see you have both AF sp10 mk3 and the Garrard. What is your preference for classical?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
FWIW, Vic the designer of my direct rim drive Salvation tt, took apart many Lenco L70 tts in developing the tt, worked out what made Lenco a success, built upon that (he tells me), and created his baby.
He swears by a slate plinth, and I have the tt on a 95kg slate isolation platform.

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
PTP too moved away from slate plinth for his Lenco, and I did hear what you say about tonal attributes from other sources, but I think OMA at his place combines all together well for the system the Anates is in.

bonzo75, Right, OMA has their own philosophy with Slate but to each their own, these decks simply leave me cold after comparing to others. No disrespect to those who like Slate, naturally system balance and individual musical preferences as always play a vital role.

I see you have both AF sp10 mk3 and the Garrard. What is your preference for classical?

Good question! :confused: Rather perplexing comparison between the Garrard 301 Statement and Technics Sp10Mk3 NGS, as they both provide exemplary playback of classic recordings. If one were splitting hairs, I'd say the NGS remains true to the source in every manor of speaking, the arm+cart+recording+phono stage attributes travel through unbridled meaning that the recording quality shines through immediately and without reservation. When it's magical, it's really magical and when the recording is mediocre, its just that. With the NGS, its a chameleon, the presentation can knock your socks off with grand scope & scale, see through transparency, clarity, focus and separation but if the recording is small and intimate, then it scales back down to in the room size. The contrast can be spooky at times. On the other hand, the 301 Statement delivers symphonic music with thrilling grand scope and scale, dynamics and air with thundering bass aplenty and is also sensitive to LP quality and recording characteristics. Right now, with the present arm+cart combo I'd likely lean towards the NGS direct drive for my daily classical fix. :cool:

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. What is your arm cart combo on the technics, Garrard and the MS respectively?

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States

Thanks. What is your arm cart combo on the technics, Garrard and the MS respectively?

As of this moment..... :cool:

Micro Seiki SX8000 + Fidelity Research FR64fx + Miyajima Mono Zero
AF Technics Sp10Mk3 NGS + Kuzma 4Point (11") / Lyra Atlas & Lyra Etna
Garrard 301 Statement + Ikeda IT407/ Koetsu Jade + Schroeder Reference/ Koetsu Coralstone
Kuzma XL DC + Kuzma 4point (14") + misc.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Your radar must be beeping. If you were to choose one of his fabulous set ups I think I know which.

Kind regards,
Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My Torqueo Limited is ready,
Next week will arrive

I never see and never listen,hope sound good

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
My Torqueo Limited is ready,
Next week will arrive

I never see and never listen,hope sound good

cant wait for mine to arrive!
will be glad to see pictures and your thoughts about it when it will land at your place!
congrat's Gian!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is my Torqueo limited that will arrive end of next week
Torque did picture and sent to me

View attachment 41520

It looks very beautiful Gian. Is there a separate power supply or motor controller unit?

Kind regards,
Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Ciao Tang,
there is not external power supply,but they are doing an external regulation to control the speed,i don't understand well for now how it works
This is the prototype

PHOTO-2018-05-11-13-30-27.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing