Torqueo ordered

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
SMKL,

thanks for the heartfelt review, very much enjoyed it.

in 1998 I bought a Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum for my Basis 2500/Graham 1.5tc. for a couple of years it was my reference and then I moved on to a Clearaudio Insider Gold as my reference for a couple of years, and then to a series of vdH Colibri's as my reference. but for 10 years I retained the RSP as a fall back cartridge and always enjoyed it's lovely approach to the music. I would install it for a month or so and enjoy the warm embrace, bloom and flow. maybe missing some, but not much, of the tension, agility and detail. like a mistress waiting patiently (never tried that in real life).

just checking to see if your Rosewood Sig was a Platinum or not. I never directly compared the Rosewood Sig, to the Platinum version, so don't know how different they were.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
SMKL, I’ve got a hankering for one of your home made sourdough loaves .

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
Omitted to mention that the ZYX is tracking at 2g with antiskate dialled in at 1.5 whilst the Koetsu is tracking at 1.9g with antiskate failed in at 1.0.

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
Fantastic review. I have a couple of friends who want to write like you but they need to add a Zyx to their arsenal first.

Can you please say what were the differences between the two Zyx's you had? Were they minor or significant

The family sound is maintained whilst the sense of realism is heightened. I enjoyed this cartridge much more over the Premium Omega, in particuler, the vocals are so "real" sounding. The soundstage appears to be deeper with instruments presented in a life size manner that's isn't exaggerated.

I would share some recordings with you for comparison if you wish to have a listen. DSD or WAV?

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
Hello SMKL,

Welcome to What Best Forum, you are in good company here with a turntable like your Micro / SAEC..

It sounds like you have experimented already, so no doubt you have excellent sound, and if you use Baerwald (lofgren B) you will be very good, i will check the null points I use when back home later, and will post a Vinyl Engine graph with my settings in too..

Best Regards,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Managed to get a snapshot of your settings?

Best wishes,

SM

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
SMKL,

thanks for the heartfelt review, very much enjoyed it.

in 1998 I bought a Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum for my Basis 2500/Graham 1.5tc. for a couple of years it was my reference and then I moved on to a Clearaudio Insider Gold as my reference for a couple of years, and then to a series of vdH Colibri's as my reference. but for 10 years I retained the RSP as a fall back cartridge and always enjoyed it's lovely approach to the music. I would install it for a month or so and enjoy the warm embrace, bloom and flow. maybe missing some, but not much, of the tension, agility and detail. like a mistress waiting patiently (never tried that in real life).

just checking to see if your Rosewood Sig was a Platinum or not. I never directly compared the Rosewood Sig, to the Platinum version, so don't know how different they were.

Hi Mike,

Mine is a Rosewood Signature. My Mistress is a Grado, The Reference cartridge but I fear that the Koetsu will soon replace her. Have a good evening.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, SMKL, for that fantastic comparison! I really appreciate it!

Just out of curiosity have you ever mounted the Koetsu on any other tonearm?

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
Thank you, SMKL, for that fantastic comparison! I really appreciate it!

Just out of curiosity have you ever mounted the Koetsu on any other tonearm?

Hi Ron,

I have mounted it on my FR-64FX previously and it performed well. Got bumped off as I have to decide on the mounting permutations for Koetsu, ZYX and Miyajima Zero. It’s either that I left the Koetsu one the FR-64FX and matched the ZYX with the more relaxed nature of the longer SAEC 506/30 to obtain a balanced presentation or build on the strengths of both cartridges and have the Koetsu on the SAEC and XYX on the Fidelity Research. The Miyajima Zero went on to a 407/23 on a BL-111.

Cheers,

SM

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
SMKL, what a wonderful review! i enjoyed it a lot! thank you.
great writing.

i had never got the chance to add a Koetsu to my stable, though i had plenty of "Japanese" cart's in hand over the last 10 years...
a friend of mine have the blue lace and the rosewood in the past, so i got my share to listen to both in his system.
may be i need to get me a Koetsu too to evaluate what they really are against my other cartridges.
i am getting the new "Sumile" nest week and the SPU Synergy till the end of the month too... so having so much new stuff to play (adding my 2 weeks old Colibri XGW) i think it will be a while till il get something substantial in the Koetsu line

any suggestions to what i "must" getting from them? (lets say the stones are out for now, unless its like "the most greatest Cart in the world)

thanks.
A

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
SMKL, what a wonderful review! i enjoyed it a lot! thank you.
great writing.

i had never got the chance to add a Koetsu to my stable, though i had plenty of "Japanese" cart's in hand over the last 10 years...
a friend of mine have the blue lace and the rosewood in the past, so i got my share to listen to both in his system.
may be i need to get me a Koetsu too to evaluate what they really are against my other cartridges.
i am getting the new "Sumile" nest week and the SPU Synergy till the end of the month too... so having so much new stuff to play (adding my 2 weeks old Colibri XGW) i think it will be a while till il get something substantial in the Koetsu line

any suggestions to what i "must" getting from them? (lets say the stones are out for now, unless its like "the most greatest Cart in the world)

thanks.
A

Hi Byrd,

I’m grinning from cheek to cheek with Rosewood signature. Perhaps that’s a good start. I haven’t had the pleasure of owning any other Koetsu models hence am limited in experience.

However, the Miyajima Madeke with a snakewood casing is a good alternative if you already have the budget to accommodate a Rosewood Signature. It sounds very similar to the Koetsu coral stone and I do like it very much when my friend did an A-B text at his house sometime back. That would be the next cartridge for me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

SM

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hopefully Gian will give his Torqueo impressions in late Feb/Mar.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi Byrd,

I’m grinning from cheek to cheek with Rosewood signature. Perhaps that’s a good start. I haven’t had the pleasure of owning any other Koetsu models hence am limited in experience.

However, the Miyajima Madeke with a snakewood casing is a good alternative if you already have the budget to accommodate a Rosewood Signature. It sounds very similar to the Koetsu coral stone and I do like it very much when my friend did an A-B text at his house sometime back. That would be the next cartridge for me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

SM

thanks SM
i know the madeke pretty well, the local myajima distributer is a close friend of mine and we listen to all the Myajima line on several set ups, arms etc.
regarding to Koetsu cartRidges, i might order some of the URUSHI line, maybe the TSUGARU.

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
thanks SM
i know the madeke pretty well, the local myajima distributer is a close friend of mine and we listen to all the Myajima line on several set ups, arms etc.
regarding to Koetsu cartRidges, i might order some of the URUSHI line, maybe the TSUGARU.

Consider getting another tonearm to mount a Miyajima Zero. Once you have listened to the original mono jazz recordings, there’s no turning back. I love mine heaps.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Consider getting another tonearm to mount a Miyajima Zero. Once you have listened to the original mono jazz recordings, there’s no turning back. I love mine heaps.

1754107-torqueo-audio-turntable-t34-exclusive.jpg

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel

Daytona,
this is what i was ordered for myself. the T34 EXCLUSIVE ZEBRANO.
you can add the "Pilastro" and put it on the back for another arm option.
but i already have the AF3 and it got 4 arm places... so i'm pretty much covered :).

i will mount on it the IKEDA 407 OR the SAEC 506 i ordered with it from Torqueo (in turns, or what will turn to be the best for me on it).

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing