Torqueo ordered

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Gian,

You have chosen a Copper mat(?), do Torqueo prefer this over SAEC SS 300 mat would you know?

Rgds,
Paul

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gian, do Torqueo have demo facilities?
I'm in discussion w them re Marsala Exclusive full width model and SAEC 506 refurbed arm.
Paul has kindly offered to help me set things up if I go down this path, but I really need to hear (and see) this tt in the flesh.
I might make a Euro tour to take in PTP Solid idler drive rebuild, Primary Control Kinea DD/Arrow 10.5", as well as the Torqueo/SAEC 506.
Are they able to have me at their workshop to show the tt?

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
I know Halcro, I have studiously gone through many of your old posts on various forums :). I know you liked Zyx best on the Grandezza, but what did you think of Zyx on this or the FR 66 especially for classical?
I'm flattered Bonzo.....:)
Without derailing this Thread.....I've wanted to tell you that I've followed all your tales of the 'Great Horns Quest' and finally was able to hear for myself at Munich this year, the AvanteGarde Trios with triple stacked BassHorns......
I am fully in agreement with you about these. If I had the room.....I would have written the cheque there and then :cool:

Back on theme.....
I've also had the SAEC WE-308N and the 407/23
fullsizeoutput_1bd6.jpg
fullsizeoutput_65e.jpg

Some suggest that the SAEC tonearms are 'poor-man's SME'....both being double knife-edge designs, but the reverse may be closer to the truth.
The SAEC ceramic headshells (which fetch outrageous prices) are really difficult to match successfully with many cartridges and after-market shells are the 'go' with these arms.

The Grandezza is long gone Bonzo....could not cut it with my other arms and the UNIverse has recently met a similar fate.
Too many better sounding vintage models.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gian, any thoughts on the Cu-2900 Copper mat and T-Clamp?
Do you feel these are essential accessories to get most out of the Torqueo? It does add about €1k to the overall bill.
The T-Base of no interest to me, I'll be using the Marsala Executive Full Width version w armboard integrated into plinth, and only one arm, and the tt would go on my Stacore Adv passive platform, so I'm covered there.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Halco / Henry,

Out of interest, which other headshell's have you tried with your SEAC's? Schick Graphite by any chance? I have 2 ULS-3, and also a Nasotec Swing which I havent mounted yet, (it only just arrived) ordered out of curiosity so will not judge until I try it.

Marc,

Good to chat yesterday, and no doubt we will meet sometime!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Paul, well if I swing to the Torqueo/SAEC, then we will DEFINITELY meet LOL
Indeed, any purchase if this system pretty much depends on you being to help me
I'm due a day to Brighton soon, maybe then?

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Hi Paul,
I've had good results with the Yamamoto HS-1AS Ebony wood and the Ortofon LS-8000 wood shells on my SAECs....but lately I've discovered the Yamamoto HS-4 Carbon Fiber headshell to be almost unbeatable on most of my arms.....

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Thanks,
i see you are distributor also for Etsuro,
can you tell us the sound of this cartridge and if you compared with other top cartridges?

It is amazing. HIGHLY resolving and very accurate. Has detail in spades with better arms can get a lot of body to the music. On par with the best cartridges out there.

Peter B said that the Bordeaux is just as good as the Lyra Etna, but for less money. They have a new model coming out I am very eager to try and after Audio Exotics I think this will be the one to get.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Which model or color will arrive to you?

Got this exact model the Zebrano Compact and the Pilastro Mk2 Base for use with a 9in Primary Control Reference Arm. I am going to see about getting another Pilastro base and Primary Control new FCL tonearm later next year.

21151727_10213580738373865_932549191620149919_n.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I like that Pilastro arm tower :D.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Got this exact model the Zebrano Compact and the Pilastro Mk2 Base for use with a 9in Primary Control Reference Arm. I am going to see about getting another Pilastro base and Primary Control new FCL tonearm later next year.

View attachment 35330

That's an attractive turntable. Congratulations. I am curious about the arm tower/pod design. If the tower is free to move anywhere relative to the spindle, why does it have the cantilever section at top? I would think that the system would have less resonance if the arm were directly mounted to a solid, thick plate centered on the top of the tower and not hanging out over the edge as shown in the photo. Perhaps it is to accommodate some cable designs which exit out the bottom of the arm pillar. The cable often introduces issues because of weight and orientation. The photos always look better without the cable.

I have read an opinion that one of the primary requirements for any top turntable is to maintain (hold constant) a pivot to spindle distance in each axis. How heavy is the arm tower and how does it interface with the supporting surface?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
They told the compact is little better and the Pilastro is heavy and cannot move,
I dont understand well until i don't see and try
You need a solid base like their T BASE with the weight of 26 kg,or similar,so i think when all is set up could be no problem

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Joshua, can I ask how you find the sound of the Torqueo so far?
There is no UK distrbr (so far), and so abs no chance of hearing this tt w'out travelling to the one or two European countries that deal with Torqueo, and that's obv not very practical.
I'm very much in tune w the idler sound running a rim drive tt and having heard good results w modded Garrards and Lencos.
So, I think I'd get on w the Torqueo, but we'd all benefit from first hand experiences of the table.
I'm assuming w the name Torqueo, this is a high torque design as w all other idlers?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Paul, well if I swing to the Torqueo/SAEC, then we will DEFINITELY meet LOL
Indeed, any purchase if this system pretty much depends on you being to help me
I'm due a day to Brighton soon, maybe then?

Certainly Marc, you'd hear a taste of the SEAC sound, and possibly the SME V may be fitted by then for comparison..

Rgds,
Paul

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Paul,
I've had good results with the Yamamoto HS-1AS Ebony wood and the Ortofon LS-8000 wood shells on my SAECs....but lately I've discovered the Yamamoto HS-4 Carbon Fiber headshell to be almost unbeatable on most of my arms.....

Thanks Henry, that's most useful. I did fit the Nasotec last night, it take's time and patience as there is more to get right, but 5 LP's later I knew it is something pretty special, if you have the opportunity on any of your arms I recomend a trial. Not cheap and very quirky but it does a very fine job indeed..

Gian / Marc, this headshell may be an option also, in place of SEAC ULS3..

Rgds,
Paul

sony-tts-8000-9.jpg

Last edited:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
The new model of Etsuro will be better than the Bordeaux?

Yes, there will be a gold edition that uses a diamond cantilever. Should be remarkable

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
That's an attractive turntable. Congratulations. I am curious about the arm tower/pod design. If the tower is free to move anywhere relative to the spindle, why does it have the cantilever section at top? I would think that the system would have less resonance if the arm were directly mounted to a solid, thick plate centered on the top of the tower and not hanging out over the edge as shown in the photo. Perhaps it is to accommodate some cable designs which exit out the bottom of the arm pillar. The cable often introduces issues because of weight and orientation. The photos always look better without the cable.

I have read an opinion that one of the primary requirements for any top turntable is to maintain (hold constant) a pivot to spindle distance in each axis. How heavy is the arm tower and how does it interface with the supporting surface?

I would agree on the mounting except that would likely necessitate just a handful of choices on arms. It is not much different then the Kuzma except the arm is positioned relative to the arm board and not directly over the base.

8kg on the base

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing