Review: DC power supplies for the AQVOX audio grade switch

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
This is a review for dc power supplies using the AQVOX audio grade switch. For those not familiar with the AQVOX here are details from the manufacturer :
http://www.myhifishop.de/Devices/AQ...e-Network-Switch-8x-Giga::75.html?language=en

It is only available directly at a cost of 390€. I have been using the switch for the last 6 months and can say that it does make for a more natural and open sound. It is connected via a LAN cable from your hub to the switch and another LAN from switch to server/streamer etc. Your shortest cable should be from the switch to your components. AQVOX make at a very good LAN cable which can also be bought directly. The switch houses a reclocker and isolator and has 8 ports. There has been a positive discussion about this switch on Devialet Chat. I have also written about it on Audio Shark with some good feedback from a AS member in Spain about using the standard ps compared to one by Kenneth Lieu, which is considerably more money.

After using the switch for a while using the standard wall mart style ps supplied with the switch, I wondered if i could find a better 5V dc ps.

This review is a work in progress since I would like to try other ps not covered in this review.
The ps used were as follows:

King Rex
Uptone LPS1 with feed as supplied
Uptone LPS1 with 12v MCRUS feed
Uptone LPS1 with 12v Sbooster

Others I would like to test in the future:
Sbooster 5v
Paul Hynes
HDplex
Sotm

The system: BT infinity hub, AQVOX switch, connected with AQVOX LAN cables, fidata NAS, Lumin S1 using digital output, Vovox USB, Mola Mola pre/dac, Mola Mola mono block power amps, HiDiamond XLR 3 interconnects, HiDiamond speaker cables, toetapaudio/Bybee speaker bullets, Boenicke W11 loudspeakers. All components and the switch and hub have Bybee Signal Enhancers underneath them. Room acoustic tuning devices by Bybee and SteinMusic Harmonizers. Dedicated mains spurs to each component. No mains switches or fuses in line apart from equipment fuse and RCBO in consumer unit.

Music: streamed from Tidal and downloads.

I started with the King Rex. This is made in Taiwan and retails for £350. It's a small neat black box with a blue LED light on the front, IEC socket and switch plus XLR output which is a better connector than the usual 2.1 jack found on other ps. Compared to the AQVOX ps, this is better. The sound is more transparent, less grain, a bit more open and three dimensional.

The Uptone LPS1 needs a feed and comes with a small ps with IEC socket and flying lead with 2.1 jacket. The LPS1 with its own ps was better than the AQVOX ps but did not match the sound of the King Rex.

LPS1 with MCRUS feed produced better results about on par with the King Rex. This is a more costly set up LPS1 £450 and MCRUS £300 approx.

LPS1 with Sbooster (£260). This set up was better than the King Rex, producing a sound that was even more transparent, relaxed and free flowing. The Sbooster I match with the Lumin D1 for a much improved sound.

Conclusion.

The King Rex offers good results at a reasonable cost. The LPS1/Sbooster is the best sounding set up but costs twice as much. Unfortunately, I don't have a 5v version of the Sbooster to try on this occasion, but will test this at a future date. I would also like to test a Paul Hynes ps at some stage (is there anybody that would like to lend me one?). Review to be continued.

MHT

Aug 22, 2017
Buffalo (Melco's parent) also makes an audio-grade giga-switch (BS-GS2016/A) at a similar price-point to the AQVOX product. It's available via Amazon Japan.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
AQVOX is bringing out a upgrade switch, which will sell in parallel to the current model. Estimated price around 600/800€.

I should also tell you about how the port arrangements and grounding make a considerable difference, more in fact than different power supplies. If you have or are getting the AQVOX switch then connect input to port one and output to port eight. From the grounding screw at the back run a wire to a convenient grounding post on your equipment, grounding box or mains adaptor plug. This makes a big difference. Also I suggest experimenting with different types of grounding wire. I have tried thin and heavy copper, the heavy copper being much better. The best though was an old pair of silver phonos which I cut off the plugs. I twisted the two pairs together and the silver shield cable and this has been the best solution so far. Btw I tried attaching the shield at one end only and then at both ends. Both ends attachment gave the best result. The difference between that set up and no grounding is extreme.

MHT

Aug 22, 2017
Many thanks for the info.
Would the upgrade switch still be a reworked D-Link device?
Re: grounding, my choice would be the Entreq Poseidon Box I have plus an Eartha Apollo Spade cable.
The Buffalo machine doesn't seem to have a dedicated grounding terminal so I assume I could use one of the spare ethernet ports.
Anyway, looking forward to learning more about the upgrade AQVOX switch.

AQVOX is bringing out a upgrade switch, which will sell in parallel to the current model. Estimated price around 600/800€.

I should also tell you about how the port arrangements and grounding make a considerable difference, more in fact than different power supplies. If you have or are getting the AQVOX switch then connect input to port one and output to port eight. From the grounding screw at the back run a wire to a convenient grounding post on your equipment, grounding box or mains adaptor plug. This makes a big difference. Also I suggest experimenting with different types of grounding wire. I have tried thin and heavy copper, the heavy copper being much better. The best though was an old pair of silver phonos which I cut off the plugs. I twisted the two pairs together and the silver shield cable and this has been the best solution so far. Btw I tried attaching the shield at one end only and then at both ends. Both ends attachment gave the best result. The difference between that set up and no grounding is extreme.

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
Hi MHT, not sure if it is based on d-link. I'll chase them for more info today and let you know.

Please tell me more about your experience with Entreq and what the best value buys are. I'm also looking at the one by CAD.

MHT

Aug 22, 2017
The Entreq Poseidon box is used in my system to ground all the source-related components - Streamer, DAC, Server and my current switch which is the Apple Time capsule.
While the box has 3 binding posts, one cable provided splits into two spade terminals allowing for 4 connections.
The addition of the grounding box has considerably lowered the noise-floor and taken out grain which I heretofore didn't realize existed. The improvements were noticed AFTER considerable additions to the mains supply quality - ASI liveline cables (IeGO terminals) for all source components, Isotek EVO3 Sigmas conditioner - connected to the wall via a Transparent Opus power cord.
I'm so impressed that I'm now looking at the Entreq Tellus for my amps/speakers.
I can't comment much on the value proposition vis a vis other models in the Entreq line-up having never tested them. You could try a single Silver Tellus on one component to see if it makes a difference. The Entreq Poseidon (plus cables) would be more expensive than the CAD GC3. Roy Gregory seems to rate CAD slightly higher in performance than Entreq and much higher in appearance! I'm not sure an apples-to-apples comparison can be done given the larger variety in grounding cable choices with Entreq. For example, I use the best cable (Atlantis) for the streamer and the lower grade (Apollo) cables for the rest. I'm definitely not complaining.

There's always be another product to lust after - you've probably read rave reviews on this site about the Triton grounding boxes but we're talking about more than 10x the price!

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
The Entreq Poseidon box is used in my system to ground all the source-related components - Streamer, DAC, Server and my current switch which is the Apple Time capsule.
While the box has 3 binding posts, one cable provided splits into two spade terminals allowing for 4 connections.
The addition of the grounding box has considerably lowered the noise-floor and taken out grain which I heretofore didn't realize existed. The improvements were noticed AFTER considerable additions to the mains supply quality - ASI liveline cables (IeGO terminals) for all source components, Isotek EVO3 Sigmas conditioner - connected to the wall via a Transparent Opus power cord.
I'm so impressed that I'm now looking at the Entreq Tellus for my amps/speakers.
I can't comment much on the value proposition vis a vis other models in the Entreq line-up having never tested them. You could try a single Silver Tellus on one component to see if it makes a difference. The Entreq Poseidon (plus cables) would be more expensive than the CAD GC3. Roy Gregory seems to rate CAD slightly higher in performance than Entreq and much higher in appearance! I'm not sure an apples-to-apples comparison can be done given the larger variety in grounding cable choices with Entreq. For example, I use the best cable (Atlantis) for the streamer and the lower grade (Apollo) cables for the rest. I'm definitely not complaining.

There's always be another product to lust after - you've probably read rave reviews on this site about the Triton grounding boxes but we're talking about more than 10x the price!

Thanks for the information. Just got off the line talking to Entreq and it was an interesting conversation. I'm going to be testing out some product soon so will let you know. Is there a separate thread on Entreq? Not heard of the Triton range, I will check that out.

MHT

Aug 22, 2017
Sorry I meant Tripoint, not Triton.
Tripoint's flagship product is the Troy Signature grounding box. Their premium grounding cable is the Thor SE master. This is reference level stuff.
Both Entreq and Tripoint are well discussed in this website.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Mixing DC power supplies with Tripoint and Entreq is a challenging subject. From a classical point of view, a floating power supply, such as a battery, would be desirable, as it does not introduce loops (capacitive, inductive and resistive) that inject RFI noise in the circuits being powered. However, a ground connection can be desirable if we think that the power supply should also absorb the noise produced by the device.

MHT

Aug 22, 2017
Toetapaudio, did you find more information about the new upgraded AQVOX switch in the pipeline? Thx MHT

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
Toetapaudio, did you find more information about the new upgraded AQVOX switch in the pipeline? Thx MHT

Yes, it’s ready to ship. 799€ some details on their website. I think what they are proposing for existing AQVOX switch owners is an exchange plus the difference in cost. I need to qualify this though. No external clock connection going my the photos. The switch by SOtM would be another worth looking into.

Tecknik1

May 29, 2017
HCM VietNam
The Aqvox does improve over the supplied PS with a LPS as Toetapaudio points out so well. I use the W4S LPS1 with great results and got even better results in the chain with the Router using the W4S Hi current module increasing the Aqvox effect along with a more saturated TV picture. My next project well be replacing the stock power cords on the LPS to see what improvements can be had. Would love to try the new SE version one day.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing