Review: DC power supplies for the AQVOX audio grade switch

MHT

Aug 22, 2017
I finally bought the Buffalo Switch and achieved a meaningful improvement by placing it between the server and my streamer - lower noise floor, more micro-details, deeper sound stage etc.
I figure some of this step-up is due to the integrity of the switch itself. A lot of this result must also be attributed to taking the router (Apple Time Capsule in my case) out of the musical chain.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Paul Hynes has recently brought out a new model called SR4 which uses the same regulator as his SR5 and SR7 models. It features user switchable voltage, which gives good flexibility for future use, and they are being built in batches of 10 each month. I have ordered one for delivery in early June to replace the ifi psu on my modem and there is some discussion about it on the CA thread linked below

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/38614-the-paul-hynes-sr4-psu/

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
My Hynes SR4 arrived earlier and is sounding very promising on the router after just 4 hours. I expect things will improve considerably by the weekend since it also has a fresh cable harness to burn in and will report back anon.

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
My Hynes SR4 arrived earlier and is sounding very promising on the router after just 4 hours. I expect things will improve considerably by the weekend since it also has a fresh cable harness to burn in and will report back anon.

Thanks for sharing. Have you thought about trying one of the OXCO router options? Paul Pang offers one, and there is another company that I think is making the same thing in different chassis.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Tbh I wasn’t even aware of such a thing! Will have a chat with my colleagues at SGM about the concept since we have a shared interest in optimising network installations.

Last edited:

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
So what is the final consensus, or have we gotten there yet? Should we ditch our standard switch (powered by LPS) for something like the Aqvox?

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
Hard to say. I know a LPS absolutely improves performance of Routers/Switches, so it is not out of the realm of possibility that different or better routers and switches could improve sound. I do hear subtle differences between a Netgear or a Belkin for example, but it is not allot vs. what the linear supply does for them.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015

One week on, the SR4 is burning in nicely and is making a pleasing improvement in sound quality. You’d think I would be happy but no, I just spent the morning making a number of tweaks to it to drop the noise floor even further :rolleyes:

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
One week on, the SR4 is burning in nicely and is making a pleasing improvement in sound quality. You’d think I would be happy but no, I just spent the morning making a number of tweaks to it to drop the noise floor even further :rolleyes:

Can you tell us what you did?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing