Don't believe everything they tell you

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

I was reading a Lampizator thread here on WBF and one of the links lead me to this article:

http://lampizator.eu/HERESY/heresy.html

I was wondering what the WBF membership thinks about these so-called "myths".

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
It must be true, I read it on the internet. :eek:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I was reading a Lampizator thread here on WBF and one of the links lead me to this article:

http://lampizator.eu/HERESY/heresy.html

Not worth the time I spent reading it. Most of the time it manages to make very simple thinks look confusing. If people did not know before reading they will not understand what is really happening. Most of these "myths"can "truths" in certain cases by reasons that are not even referred.

And unfortunately the author does not resist to insult people who disagree with him. As always, YMMV.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep Micro, and we can add another "myth" to the list, viz that GG beats everything out there.
If I was sappy enough to take everything the Lampi fanboys say at face value, I'd be crying tears of hurt every time I listen to my non-Lampi digital.
Hey, put it in the list! LOL

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Most of what he says is true. However, the article is more of a show-off sometimes, and may unnecessarily confuse people . Example:

> The so called "signal" does not flow along some PATH...The circuit response is everywhere at the same time, all elements at the same time. No flow. Input receives - output responds. At the same moment.

Yes, we know. "Signal path" does not mean flow, we all know what we mean by "signal path"

A couple of things could have been said better. For example:

> Amplifiers, what they effectively do, is REDUCE the output impedance of the output device. So they increase the current available at small impedance loads.

True, but I would have instead said: amplifiers' goal is to modulate the DC voltage of their power supplies to match the input waveform as best as possible, and MAY offer higher output voltage and/or current, but they can also reduce the input voltage [and give examples]

> The signal (current) enters via RCA jack, and the first thing it sees is usually a parallel resistor or some kind of parallel pot. The signal sinks to the ground through this resistor and that's all. Yes. The journey is over.

I think a more accurate depiction is: PART of the signal sinks to ground.

Last edited:

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Now that's a weird way of thinking about electronics. Not technically wrong if you use his frame of reference. But almost incomprehensible to most humans.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
But there is also humor:

> This voltage is then being "read" by the grid electrode of the tube, or in non-hifi units - the base of transistor

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Now that's a weird way of thinking about electronics. Not technically wrong if you use his frame of reference. But almost incomprehensible to most humans.

Well, except he seems to think capacitors can't power electronics... and he doesn't seem to understand all the physics of speakers and spikes.

It's fairly incomprehensible to people that should know what he is talking about. And a lot of it isn't described well, or correctly. Some bits are merely opinion.

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang

No.1 - Signal path - I agree, a myth.

No.2 - Amplification - nonsense. He's forgotten about crest factor, a very basic error.

No.3 - tweeters use less power, not less current. That's why tweeters have small VCs. Tweeter wire is thin so as not to invoke skin effect which makes the resistance rise with frequency.

No.4 - looks correct to me, a corollary of no.1 about signal path.

No.5 - looks correct, there are no digital signals, only digital interpretations of analog signals.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing