Manley labs SteelHead phono stage

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
thought maybe open it in a new thread....

I know its been a while when the Manley "steelhead" was the "HOT STUFF..."
but i cant stop wondering.... why no one was referring to it this days.. (its lost his charm?, audiophile keep looking for the new Hot stuff and moved on?)
i remember 8-15 years ago, EVERYONE talked about it and want one.. (maybe Mike-f "fault"?)
do you think it still can hold it own compering to a 10-30K phono stages of today? sound wise.... (now days his versatile nature seen with a lot of equipment not like it was 15 years ago)

its no secret that 10-15 years ago HIGH END audio was a lot less expensive... (relativity)
now days everyone are just get a high $$ price tag and trying to get the most attention
from the heavy buyers. no matter how good (or less) they are. and sending their equipment for a RAVE REVIEWS... across the web.

the steelhead still have the looks (for whom in to that industrial looks), versatility, design, etc like the best of today...

your thoughts?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I can only comment as an owner

It was good

And flexible

And configurable

It had a sort sound to it, I could never get rid of, which annoyed me

However that was a classical musical lover

Personally given all the hype back when..a bit disappointed in it

Not sure if was me or the product

I should mention the support of Manley is wonderful...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I know folks who did a shootout including the Steelhead on Zu loudspeakers - a $900 Jasmine unit sounded better apparently. I wasn't there, but know the ears involved.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing