Oct 25, 2016

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Lady Anna is singing now. I can now understand why MikeL only play with the GFS, Steve listens mostly to his Zyx, and Gian did not write about the sound of A95 after he installed it.

20171026_103312_resized.jpg

Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Lady Anna is singing now. I can now understand why MikeL only play with the GFS, Steve listens mostly to his Zyx, and Gian did not write about the sound of A95 after he installed it.

Tang

the MC Anna is a sweet cartridge. it makes great music in my system and I went 4 years without any urge to change. i loved the dense inner textures and refined musical views. i would expect it to thrive on the EMT 927. but it's not the last word in excitement, or ultra detail.....but is ultra smooth and balanced. it's not blunted or rounded so presents an uncolored view on the music.....but meaty and solid.

Last edited:

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
the MC Anna is a sweet cartridge. it makes great music in my system and I went 4 years without any urge to change. i loved the dense inner textures and refined musical views. i would expect it to thrive on the EMT 927. but it's not the last word in excitement, or ultra detail.....but is ultra smooth and balanced. it's not blunted or rounded so presents an uncolored view on the music.....but meaty and solid.
Mike, out of interest: what is for you the current last word in ultra detail retrieval?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, out of interest: what is for you the current last word in ultra detail retrieval?

at this point in time, excepting my better tape master dubs, my reference is my Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement on my Durand Telos Sapphire. it digs out musical nuance from my records I've not previously heard anywhere.

I've not heard all the cartridges out there, so this is just my personal preference.....nothing absolute.

is the GFS as good as any of those? I really don't know. I would say that likely my whole equation (system+vinyl front end) is right up there with any....and i'm thrilled with what i'm hearing in my system. so many moving parts to an 'ultra detail' question.

the Neumann(sp?) cartridge on the American Sounds tt at ddk's was pretty awesome but hard to relate the different systems in terms of detail.....as the presentation is so very different. and I've heard so much more music here. it would not surprise me if the Neumann was better.....particularly on the best current arm such as my Telos Sapphire (or ____'fill in the blank').

obviously I felt strong enough about what I heard from the AS-Neumann to make a significant tt purchase decision.

hopefully my incoming American Sounds AS-2000 with the Telos/GFS in my system will be a winning combination.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing