Ortofon A95

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I am listening A 95 since 2 hours,so its early to give a judgment
I put on Bergmann where i listen GFS,Coralstone and Opus 1.
Sorry my poor English,is difficult to explain well.

First impression A 95 is not in the same league of other 3 but for the price list in Italy 5.000 euro can be a best buy.

The sound is light,similar to Atlas,that i listen always from my friend and GFS,is not fast and explosive like other 2 but details are very good,and with records with few instrument all is very well separated and very good.Only the mid/bass is little light
The mid and voice are not natural like Coralstone and Opus 1,also the depth is less and the image is smaller than other 2.
Has not the deep bass of Atlas and Opus 1 and the mid bass is little light,so some voices has no weight.

These are small details but at the end i am appreciating A 95 because seems good general sound,mainly with few instruments is very good,with a good tonal balance and very good details

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I am listening now Jazz at the Pawnshop and being little light on mid bass,the details and the vibraphone in the mid is very transparent and exciting,
so the best solution is to have different arms and cartridges,because is impossible find one cartridge perfect for everything,could be there is but i don't know

Other i would like to try are ZYX,MSL Platinum and Soundsmith,Hyperion or Straingauge

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I am listening A 95 since 2 hours,so its early to give a judgment
I put on Bergmann where i listen GFS,Coralstone and Opus 1.
Sorry my poor English,is difficult to explain well.

First impression A 95 is not in the same league of other 3 but for the price list in Italy 5.000 euro can be a best buy.

The sound is light,similar to Atlas,that i listen always from my friend and GFS,is not fast and explosive like other 2 but details are very good,and with records with few instrument all is very well separated and very good.Only the mid/bass is little light
The mid and voice are not natural like Coralstone and Opus 1,also the depth is less and the image is smaller than other 2.
Has not the deep bass of Atlas and Opus 1 and the mid bass is little light,so some voices has no weight.

These are small details but at the end i am appreciating A 95 because seems good general sound,mainly with few instruments is very good,with a good tonal balance and very good details

Actually detail isn't an issue with the A95 nor deep bass, it's all there but presentation is on the softer side which has it's place for me. It works very well with idlers and torquier, beefier belt drives probably not great with your Bergmann which is also a lightweight itself.

david

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Sure Bergmann is not the perfect match,i will try on TD 124 Schopper

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Sure Bergmann is not the perfect match,i will try on TD 124 Schopper

Both the SPU 95 & the A95 have a lighter sound than their previous versions and even other Ortofons but they don't lack any detail. I like them because most of my other cartridges are all very full bodied and these two fill a gap in my cartridge collection.

david

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
For those of yall with A95 experience.
Do you think it would be better in a Acoustic sound Arche (Metal) or Schick (Graphite) headshell? Copper or Silver Leads? I have these two in my closet.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Actually detail isn't an issue with the A95 nor deep bass, it's all there but presentation is on the softer side which has it's place for me. It works very well with idlers and torquier, beefier belt drives probably not great with your Bergmann which is also a lightweight itself.

david

Dear Khun David,

Could you pls give me some tips and or recommendation in setting up Anna to the Ortofon 297. You are the master chef in these things.

Kind regards,
Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Khun David,

Could you pls give me some tips and or recommendation in setting up Anna to the Ortofon 297. You are the master chef in these things.

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Khun Tang,

First is yours the RF stereo version or type A mono? You can adjust VTA on the RF. There's not much you can do with the 297, just set the tracking force with the knob in the back and you don't even need to balance the arm first. The 297 was designed for EMT & Ortofon GM type cartridges, ie 30mm designs. You need to buy a headshell, star configuration for the Ortofon that will hold your Anna in the 30mm position. Meaning 30mm from the edge of the headshell's collar to the stylus otherwise the geometry will be off; see picts below.

_DSC1651-web2.jpg

_DSC1653-b2-web.jpg

david

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Khun Tang,

First is yours the RF stereo version or type A mono? You can adjust VTA on the RF. There's not much you can do with the 297, just set the tracking force with the knob in the back and you don't even need to balance the arm first. The 297 was designed for EMT & Ortofon GM type cartridges, ie 30mm designs. You need to buy a headshell, star configuration for the Ortofon that will hold your Anna in the 30mm position. Meaning 30mm from the edge of the headshell's collar to the stylus otherwise the geometry will be off; see picts below.

View attachment 35323

View attachment 35324

david

Dear Khun David,

My 297 has been transformed from mono to stereo since 50 years ago. I also had Hans change from star to normal sme headshell connector. I will be using Arche headshell and will see if I could hold the Anna at 30mm.

Thank you very much for your guidance, Mr. K.

Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Khun David,

My 297 has been transformed from mono to stereo since 50 years ago. I also had Hans change from star to normal sme headshell connector. I will be using Arche headshell and will see if I could hold the Anna at 30mm.

Thank you very much for your guidance, Mr. K.

Tang

I remember now we already discussed the SME style connection, in this case it's easy to find suitable headshell. If I remember correctly the the Arche is a very heavy headshell, more than 500g, it's not the ideal choice for this Ortofon arm. Did your 927 come with the acrylic or glass platter?

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I remember now we already discussed the SME style connection, in this case it's easy to find suitable headshell. If I remember correctly the the Arche is a very heavy headshell, more than 500g, it's not the ideal choice for this Ortofon arm. Did your 927 come with the acrylic or glass platter?

david

I think I might have to go to plan B on 297. The Arche is 50mm. and the distance from front most edge of arm to tip of stylus has to be 30-32mm. as you said. Even if I change to a shorter headshell I dont think I would be able to fit the Anna and its connecting wires within 30mm. Or is it possible to do it sir?

Actually, I have a second arm the EMT 997. If I set an arm tower like Torquo and put the 997 on I could use just about any headshell and cart because I could adjust the distance from arm to center of spindle to offset the longer length of headshell.

This is fun :).

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I think I might have to go to plan B on 297. The Arche is 50mm. and the distance from front most edge of arm to tip of stylus has to be 30-32mm. as you said. Even if I change to a shorter headshell I dont think I would be able to fit the Anna and its connecting wires within 30mm. Or is it possible to do it sir?

Actually, I have a second arm the EMT 997. If I set an arm tower like Torquo and put the 997 on I could use just about any headshell and cart because I could adjust the distance from arm to center of spindle to offset the longer length of headshell.

This is fun :).

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Tango,

Yes you could do that with the 997 or even replace the Ortofon with the EMT which is a more flexible tonearm, sonically they're close. I don't have an mc Anna here at the moment but if recall the dimensions correct it would fit in the linked above headshell; you should buy a couple of those headshells anyway.

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
you should buy a couple of those headshells anyway.

david

Khun David. Specifically, what headshells. EMT?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Khun David. Specifically, what headshells. EMT?

That EMT or any other heashell suitable for 30mm geometry.

david

PS. We've gone off topic in this thread, best to start a new one for your 927 Khun Tang.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
PS. We've gone off topic in this thread, best to start a new one for your 927 Khun Tang.

Apologize for going off topic. I will start a thread in Member's Gallery sometime.

Kind regards,
Tang

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Setup my A95 last night

AF301-- Ikeda 407-- Schick Headshell-- Furutech Silver Leads-- EAR 868PL loaded at 1:20. SRA 91 deg. VTF 2.25. Lof B IEC with SmarTractor. Adjust+ Azimuth adjustment at -1deg. 29.5/29.5 channel sep. I will revisit settings after 20 hours.

The cart isn't broken in but in my system the sound is very full with the deepest bass I have heard. Incredibly dynamic. Doesn't add warmth. Great tracking and instrument separation. My system leans on the warmer side of things so this cart is a great match. I agree with others that this is a great hi-end bang for the buck. So far, so good. My next cart will be a Lyra Etna SL/ Atlas SL. Since I won't be able to hear them in my system I am leaning toward the Atlas since the system is dynamic with plenty of midrange. Other carts I have/ had in this system: Koetsu Blue Lace, Lyra Skala, Benz LPSMR, Charisma MC1, Miya Zero, Miya Kansui, Ortofon 2m Blue and a few others that escape me.

Last edited:

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Setup my A95 last night

AF301-- Ikeda 407-- Schick Headshell-- Furutech Silver Leads-- EAR 868PL loaded at 1:20. SRA 91 deg. VTF 2.25. Lof B IEC with SmarTractor. Adjust+ Azimuth adjustment at -1deg. 29.5/29.5 channel sep. I will revisit settings after 20 hours.

The cart isn't broken in but in my system the sound is very full with the deepest bass I have heard. Incredibly dynamic. Doesn't add warmth. Great tracking and instrument separation. My system leans on the warmer side of things so this cart is a great match. I agree with others that this is a great hi-end bang for the buck. So far, so good. My next cart will be a Lyra Etna SL/ Atlas SL. Since I won't be able to hear them in my system I am leaning toward the Atlas since the system is dynamic with plenty of midrange. Other carts I have/ had in this system: Koetsu Blue Lace, Lyra Skala, Benz LPSMR, Charisma MC1, Miya Zero, Miya Kansui, Ortofon 2m Blue and a few others that escape me.

Reads great!
What is a AF301?
Gerrard 301 based? Can you photo your analog?
Thanks and enjoy! The A95 is an awesome cart! I myself using among things the Anna and like it very much!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing