Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fidata HFAS1-S10U

Quote Originally Posted by paul79 View Post
    I will reply based on some of my findings in this area in general:

Why Twonky instead of Roon? I prefer a couple other players over Roon for sonics in my setup.
    Paul, Have you found this to be true when Roon is used to stream to a DAC's ethernet renderer or only for playing files to a USB?
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Flux-50s, Outlets, PC's. Star ground.
    Cables - Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin (phono).
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Sig Ascona MKII, TA-9000 arm, Lyra Atlas.
    Digital Source- MSB Reference DAC, Femto 33.
    Amplification - Soulution 721 Pre and 501 Monos.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Acoustic Frontiers Design, RPG Plates, Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom Helmholtz Traps.
    Stands - Solid Walnut by Timber Nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pb Blimp View Post
    I am looking seriously at the Fidata, Melco, Innuos, and Mojo. The Fidata has some very positive attributes but several problems IMO:

Why Twonky instead of Roon?

Why cheap TDK switching power supplies instead of high performance linear?

Why middle grade EVO as opposed to PRO Samsung SSDs?

Why no support on USA?

For an alleged "all out assault" on ethernet performance these decisions are quite odd to me.
    Roon Core, can only be installed on servers that have an x86 processor. Melco does not have it and I think Fidata does not either.
    Lumin A1 + Kenneth Lau LPSU /Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref 5 SE /Constellation Inspiration 1.0 Stereo / Rockport Atria I / MIT Magnum MA Speakers / Neutral Audio XLR Cables/Göbel and AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet Cables / Shunyata Denali 6000 T / Shunyata Alfa and Sigma Power Cables /Kenneth Lau LPSU for Aqvox Switch and Router / Stillpoints Ultra SS and Mini/ Entreq Poseidon and Silver Tellus, Entreq Olympus and Apollo Infinity Cables

Roon streamed to an endpoint is how I tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by paul79 View Post
    Roon streamed to an endpoint is how I tried it.
    Thanks Paul.
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Flux-50s, Outlets, PC's. Star ground.
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Sig Ascona MKII, TA-9000 arm, Lyra Atlas.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Acoustic Frontiers Design, RPG Plates, Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom Helmholtz Traps.

fidata launch their own app for iOS.
    UK Audio Dealer for Mola Mola, Boenicke, Lumin, fidata, SST, Nord, Vovox, Bybee, Acoustic Revive.

I am looking seriously at the Fidata, Melco, Innuos, and Mojo. The Fidata has some very positive attributes but several problems IMO:

Why cheap TDK switching power supplies instead of high performance linear?

Why middle grade EVO as opposed to PRO Samsung SSDs?

Why no support on USA?

For an alleged "all out assault" on ethernet performance these decisions are quite odd to me.

Answers from fidata

The UPnP AV / DLNA server is common in the world of network audio.
    You can expect to connect with many devices.
    Especially, Twonky Server has adopted it because its history is old
    and it is a server that can say de facto standard.

2) Why cheap TDK switching power supplies instead of high performance linear?
    We adopt the switching power supply of high level sound quality by
    audibility evaluation.
    Also, we are designing to reduce the noise sufficiently on the board side.
    In HFAS1-XS20U, two "Linear Power Conditioner" are adopted, and noise
    reduceof a higher level is realized.

3) Why middle grade EVO as opposed to PRO Samsung SSDs?
    The grade of the product certainly "PRO" is high.
    However, in our auditory assessment, "EVO" adopted "EVO" because the
    quality was higher.

4) Why no support on USA?
    We have not distribution route in the US yet.
    We still looking for the distributor.
    UK Audio Dealer for Mola Mola, Boenicke, Lumin, fidata, SST, Nord, Vovox, Bybee, Acoustic Revive.

Quote Originally Posted by toetapaudio View Post
    Answers from fidata

The UPnP AV / DLNA server is common in the world of network audio.
    You can expect to connect with many devices.
    Especially, Twonky Server has adopted it because its history is old
    and it is a server that can say de facto standard.

2) Why cheap TDK switching power supplies instead of high performance linear?
    We adopt the switching power supply of high level sound quality by
    audibility evaluation.
    Also, we are designing to reduce the noise sufficiently on the board side.
    In HFAS1-XS20U, two "Linear Power Conditioner" are adopted, and noise
    reduceof a higher level is realized.

3) Why middle grade EVO as opposed to PRO Samsung SSDs?
    The grade of the product certainly "PRO" is high.
    However, in our auditory assessment, "EVO" adopted "EVO" because the
    quality was higher.

4) Why no support on USA?
    We have not distribution route in the US yet.
    We still looking for the distributor.
    Thank you very much for this effort. Is indeed helpful. Wish they were set up in the USA. Maybe down the road.
    Paul

Speakers - Raidho D3.1

Maybe I'll add few cents. I've had the HFAS1-S10U server in my system in December 2016 after Mr. Sugimori of Fidata visited me in my city.
    I used it as a media server only (via ethernet) with my JPLAYStreamer setup. The fidata server works with UPnP and OpenHome standards, so it was plug & play for my JPLAYStreamer renderer which is also OpenHome based.
    I compared it to my highly optimized PC media server running windows 2012 server and MinimServer as a media server software. The server is fully tweaked based on industrial motherboard, low-power Xeon CPU, industrial ram, SLC industrial SSD for the OS, low-power low-rpm drive for music library, audio-grade sata cables for the drives, JCAT NET Card FEMTO for network, everything on linear power.
    Fidata is a great sounding server, a big improvement over a standard PC or NAS. However my server simply sounded better, but it took me years to get to this level of performance and it's still a PC with all its advantages and disadvantages. For an average user who is not very tech savvy, wants a great sounding product and trouble-free operation, I'd definitely recommend the fidata server. It's beautifully finished too and can sit on an audio rack next to any hifi component looking nothing like a computer. Unless you need more options like roon or want to upgrade hardware once in a while - then a PC music server would be a better choice.

btw - MSB network renderer module will not work with roon. It needs a UPnP server and roon doesn't support UPnP

BR
    Marcin
    JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Marcin_gps View Post
    Maybe I'll add few cents. I've had the HFAS1-S10U server in my system in December 2016 after Mr. Sugimori of Fidata visited me in my city.
    I used it as a media server only (via ethernet) with my JPLAYStreamer setup. The fidata server works with UPnP and OpenHome standards, so it was plug & play for my JPLAYStreamer renderer which is also OpenHome based.
    I compared it to my highly optimized PC media server running windows 2012 server and MinimServer as a media server software. The server is fully tweaked based on industrial motherboard, low-power Xeon CPU, industrial ram, SLC industrial SSD for the OS, low-power low-rpm drive for music library, audio-grade sata cables for the drives, JCAT NET Card FEMTO for network, everything on linear power.
    Fidata is a great sounding server, a big improvement over a standard PC or NAS. However my server simply sounded better, but it took me years to get to this level of performance and it's still a PC with all its advantages and disadvantages. For an average user who is not very tech savvy, wants a great sounding product and trouble-free operation, I'd definitely recommend the fidata server. It's beautifully finished too and can sit on an audio rack next to any hifi component looking nothing like a computer. Unless you need more options like roon or want to upgrade hardware once in a while - then a PC music server would be a better choice.

btw - MSB network renderer module will not work with roon. It needs a UPnP server and roon doesn't support UPnP

BR
    Marcin
    Thanks Marcin. I presume this comment does not override your recommendation of the Mojo with JCAT Ethernet over Fidata, Innuos, and Melco? Also, just fyi -- MSB has a new roon compliant renderer.
    Paul

Speakers - Raidho D3.1

Thanks Marcin. I presume this comment does not override your recommendation of the Mojo with JCAT Ethernet over Fidata, Innuos, and Melco? Also, just fyi -- MSB has a new roon compliant renderer.
    No, Mojo Audio server is close to mine, so I'd recommend it over Fidata if SQ is your top priority.
    Thanks for the info about the new MSB renderer & roon. I was not aware of it.

BR
    Marcin
    JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12