Looking for cart rec"s on my vpi system

Robes

Aug 21, 2017
Bigfork, Montana
Hi All-

I have narrowed my TT search to a VPI Prime (or maybe one of the Scouts). Plan to buy an "open Box, or B stock" table. I hope to make a Cart selection so it (if available) can be installed/setup from the dealer. I really am lost in this process but realize so much is dependent on the Preamp specs. I'm attaching my preamp & amp specs and 2 pics of pre amp, front & back panels. I know it will work with MC or MM carts but don't understand the high/low output of carts and which will work on my system. The TT will likely be the strongest point of my system and for that reason think I probably don't need a real high end Cart if I can't hear the subtleties. Current Amp is the Yamaha M-65, AudioControl C-101 Spectrum Analyzer Equalizer & JBL Control Monitors Model 4312.

Maybe a cart in the range of a few hundred USD to less then a 1000 USD?

Preamp. See back view attachment, under Phono Gain what is "Normal & -10dB" red switch for or when is it used? It has always been in Normal setting. See front view "PHONO", all these settings I assume, are settings to be used with specific carts? Looks like MC carts have just two settings and all other settings are for MM carts? So MM settings are in ohms and ohm/pF settings , what is pF?

Arms. How do you know what weight arm I have? I see where some carts recommended for light or heavy arms, how can that be if eg. you tracked a cart at 1.5 grams on either light or heavy arms? I wouldn't think an arm would matter just weight applied-

Basically how do I look for a cart that will be appropriate for use with my system using the Prime 3d arm. Just guessing but I would think the 3D arm is "light weight" by looking at it. What specs on an MC or MM do I need to find to be optimum for my preamp? Any suggestions on a cart here?

Thanks Robes

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 5.2.JPG
    5.2.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 75
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 71

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I recommend the Hana SL. It sells for about 800 bucks. I've heard it at a friend's and I think it is quite good. Certainly a bargain. WBF member Dre J reviewed it quite favorably in TAS.

Reactions: RickS

RickS

May 23, 2018
NW Indiana
I did the same deal. Ordered an “open box” (ended up being a brand new in the box table) VPI Prime and spent the savings over an NIB Prime towards a cartridge. Really was hoping to get a package deal with a Dyna 10x5 but Music Direct was out of them. So I went up a notch and bought the Hana SH as a package deal and it has been phenomenal! What a great cartridge for the money. Running through a Parasound Halo JC3+ preamp now which is another utterly amazing piece for the money. When I bought the VPI-Hana combo all I had for amplification was a Rega BrioR hence the choice of the high output Hana. I’ve since redone the whole system. Low output MCs from here on out.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The Hana elliptical and Shibata (entry and mid level) may require a heavy screw kit to increase mass as they are quite light weight.

Reactions: RickS

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing