Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Pass Labs/Martin Logan a good match?

Addicted to Best! thedudeabides's Avatar
    Had the 250.5 with the legacy Summits. Great combo in my system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadd View Post
    No. Too polite.
    utter nonsense ..........
    Cheers - Dave

Hello and good morning to you, twitch. Instead of disagreeing, how about telling us why you disagree backed up with some experience you may have with the components. It wouldn't hurt to be a little bit more polite in your response either.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Hello and good morning to you, twitch. Instead of disagreeing, how about telling us why you disagree backed up with some experience you may have with the components. It wouldn't hurt to be a little bit more polite in your response either.

Tom
    Gladly Tom.........

I have owned and enjoyed various dipole speakers (Logans and Maggies) over the past 35 years and have done so with several of Nelson Pass's designs, all with great results. Along with this I have been a member of the Martin Logan Owners forum for the past twelve years, serve as it's forum administrator, sat in on numerous listening session at various locations with Pass powered Logans providing the great sonic pleasures. Also ten years ago I organized a two day pilgrimage to Lawrence, Ks where we were part of a 'beta' test for new Logan products under development. During those two days we enjoyed multiple listening sessions with the latest Logan speakers, driven by ......... Pass amplification.

As for my response, well I guess you understand why I wasn't as 'polite' as Greg feels the amps are !
    Cheers - Dave

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    utter nonsense ..........
    ...Why I did not respond. Go ahead. Learn the hard way.
    Last edited by Gregadd; 10-28-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friendly to one, and enemy to none.
    Benjamin Franklin

My initial response to the Pass labs was on the ML Owners forum. It began a downward spiral that led to my being banned.
    My opinion that the ML / Pass is to polite is my opinion. Sad that it could never be accepted as such.
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friendly to one, and enemy to none.
    Benjamin Franklin

I have owned prodigy and now CLX ART

I have tried a lot of amplifiers both valve and solid state

My own opinion is Goldmund are the best I have heard with CLX

Pass is one of the amplifiers often suggested as well as Conrad Johnson

I think it comes down to personal taste which is better

But the Goldmund is the only solid state I have heard that seem to handle all the issues the CLX presents

I would lamm also do this with aplomb though not powerful enough in my room

I would suspect the big pass labs would perform well if the Lamms do

My room is big so it’s not a criticism of the amps to run out of puff ...
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    HI Awsmone, power for your room aside, which amps do you think could sound right based on the amps that you have tried.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

...Why I did not respond. Go ahead. Learn the hard way.
    LOL............but you're entitled to your 1% opinion !

My initial response to the Pass labs was on the ML Owners forum. It began a downward spiral that led to my being banned.
    My opinion that the ML / Pass is to polite is my opinion. Sad that it could never be accepted as such.
    go get 'em 1% er !!
    Cheers - Dave

No. Too polite.
    My opinion is that it depends on which Pass Labs amp. I have the ML Renaissance 15A and indeed, I found either the XA30.8 or the XA60.8 mono blocks too polite and maybe even too warm. Move up to the XA100.8 and even better, the X350.8 and not too polite or warm at all. Add either the XP-22 or Xs Pre and OMG, simply heavenly! I went through a multitude of amps including the Merrill Thor/Veritas, Burmester 911 Mk3, Luxman M-900u, and Constellation Centaur II and for my tastes, the Pass Labs won out. The Burmester had the fastest transients (and perhaps was the most transparent sounding) with the Merrill amps sounding the most neutral but the Pass Labs X350.8 paired with at least an XP-22 was not far behind. Compared to the others, the Pass Labs had more air, better tonal weight, better (more realistic) decay, better textural detail, and that seductive Pass Labs tonal sweetness that brings to life my Martin Logans.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast