Pass Labs X 260.8 and XP 10. What loudspeaker

Heidrun

Sep 3, 2017
Hello.
I am in despair here.
Here in Norway there are no-one that sells Pass Labs, and i want to buy the Pass Labs X 260.8 mono block and XP 10 Pre. But i am thinking. What loudspeaker should i go for. Because to buy without listening is not my first thought.
So i am thing. What about Focal Sopra n2, Dynaudio Contour 30, B&W 803 D3 or maybe Martin Logan electrostat.
What i look for in a sound is open and airy sound with dynamic sound and rytmic behavior. But dynamic is the most important thing here. And of course a good sound on low volume. Because i have been listen to many loudspeakers that ar doll on low volume. The loudspeaker cant be in a way that i have to sit in the sweet spot all the time. Sop the loudspeakers need to deliver music to the whole room.
Hope you understand my meaning here

Best wishes from
Haakon
Norway

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard good things about Pass with a variety of speakers including ML and Wilsons. if you are looking for dynamics, Wilsons do well here. In regards to being able to listen at low volume, in my experience in addition to your equipment...you could very find significant benefits in ensuring you lower the noise floor of your system as much as possible:
- good quality power
- good isolation
- good signal grounding (Tripoint/Entreq)
- look to reduce/shield EMI/RFI...Entreq again

In my system, the lowered noise floor has dramatically improved our ability to listen at very, very low volumes (1 on the volume knob) and not feel at 2am like we are missing any details. That took 3 years to do as we did each of the above one at a time, but it really has made a huge difference.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Haakon, have you considered the new Pass XP-12 pre, which is the follow-on to the XP-10 and is now available? US list price is approximately 10% higher than the X-10.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Haakon, one other suggestion to consider based on positive reviews and user comments on the net: the Pass X350.8 stereo amp, which is at about the same price point as the X260.8 monos. If you have questions about Pass product selection and speaker matching, I have found Kent English at Pass to be very candid and helpful.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I attest to the Pass / Revel combination.........superb !

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Hello.

What i look for in a sound is open and airy sound with dynamic sound and rytmic behavior. But dynamic is the most important thing here. And of course a good sound on low volume. Because i have been listening to many loudspeakers that are dull on low volume. The loudspeaker cant be in a way that i have to sit in the sweet spot all the time. So the loudspeakers need to deliver music to the whole room.

I drive my Sound Lab Ultimate U-1PX electrostatic speakers with Pass Lab X-260.8 mono block amps. The sound is fantastic and IMHO exactly what you seem to desire. While my preamp is not from Pass Lab, I have no doubt the XP-10 would be excellent as well. I highly recommend you contact Mark at Reno Hi-Fi (www.renohifi.com), a major Pass Lab dealer (no affiliation to me) who would probably be happy to ship to Norway. If you are interested in Sound Labs, please contact me via a PM. They will surpass Martin Logan speakers in every way, energizing all the air, even in a very large room, with full spectrum sound anywhere in the room, with the "sweet spot" being desirable only for optimal imaging. Unlike ML speakers, there is no "beaming." And, being single driver, there is total coherence.

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Tom and Dave,

Re: the X260.8, do you find because of the higher Class A output, 34wpc vs 17wpc typically for other X amps, that the sound is warmer/sweeter from your amps?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Hi Tom and Dave,

Re: the X260.8, do you find because of the higher Class A output, 34wpc vs 17wpc typically for other X amps, that the sound is warmer/sweeter from your amps?

The X series of Pass Labs are Class A/B, and thus have the full 260 watts available when needed. But they remain in Class A almost all the time except on high peak demand. Sound Lab speakers, being a reactive load, are a difficult load for many amps, but the X-260.8 amps handle them with aplomb, and are firmly in command. I have owned many other amps over the years, all driving Sound Labs, and the Pass amps surpass anything else I have tried, including the much more expensive Ayre MXR Twenties they replaced. The MXR's are rated at 300wpc, but seemed to run out of power at times. Mark at Reno HiFi recommend the X260.8's over the pure Class A models for that very reason. "Warmer/sweater," perhaps; I have not compared them to other Pass Lab amps.

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Tom,

Thank you very much. I'm sure Sound Labs and Pass is a superb combo. I'm so happy you love the amps.

mikey8811

Dec 24, 2014
Hello.
I am in despair here.
Here in Norway there are no-one that sells Pass Labs, and i want to buy the Pass Labs X 260.8 mono block and XP 10 Pre. But i am thinking. What loudspeaker should i go for. Because to buy without listening is not my first thought.
So i am thing. What about Focal Sopra n2, Dynaudio Contour 30, B&W 803 D3 or maybe Martin Logan electrostat.
What i look for in a sound is open and airy sound with dynamic sound and rytmic behavior. But dynamic is the most important thing here. And of course a good sound on low volume. Because i have been listen to many loudspeakers that ar doll on low volume. The loudspeaker cant be in a way that i have to sit in the sweet spot all the time. Sop the loudspeakers need to deliver music to the whole room.
Hope you understand my meaning here

Best wishes from
Haakon
Norway

I would think Pass works well with any of the speakers you have listed. From my own experience, they are a good match with Dynaudio's, the Contour series you mention.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I would think Pass works well with any of the speakers you have listed. From my own experience, they are a good match with Dynaudio's, the Contour series you mention.

again....agreed, but for the life of me why would you select an amp ahead of your speaker ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing