Need help with my room

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010
I had the projector mounted to the ceiling but it overheats. It has a fan in it but it doesn't work that well up higher I guess. It is an Optoma HD20 and does a pretty good job actually but I'd like to get an Epson. To answer another question above, I have only measured from the back and side wall. I have not measured to the listening position which is what I will do today. I moved them in some last night but will spend the afternoon/evening playing around with everything. I am going to try to bring them out a little more as well and see how they sound but I do think my not measuring them to the listening position is key. Thanks guys for all your help.

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010
Great advice all around. If I may add to what Steve said, perhaps a two seater love seat would be a good alternative to your lounge chairs so you and the hubby can still watch and listen together and you can get the sweet spot all to yourself when he's not in. I don't think ceiling mounting your projector should be a problem.

By the way I spy your Proceed amps. I still own my BPA-3. They're kind of rare. Congratulations on your Watt/Pups! The 5 is the most iconic one as far as I know.

Do tell us what you are hearing as Kal said. :)

I love these amps and the one on the right in the pic I bought in 1995 when I got the Aerial 10T's. I had a Levinson 331 to power those and I could kick myself for selling that one. They are nice amps

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Z06-I knew that you would get lots of good help and advice here. Any man who is an audiophile has to respect a woman who drives a Z06 and is into high-end audio(and willing to install foam on her walls). I wouldn't be surprised to see some pictures in a week or two of half of the WBF over at your house with saws, hammers, nail guns, and wood building and installilng all sorts of acoustic devices in your room.

Please let us know how you progress with speaker placement and your room treatments.

Mark

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010
Z06-I knew that you would get lots of good help and advice here. Any man who is an audiophile has to respect a woman who drives a Z06 and is into high-end audio(and willing to install foam on her walls). I wouldn't be surprised to see some pictures in a week or two of half of the WBF over at your house with saws, hammers, nail guns, and wood building and installilng all sorts of acoustic devices in your room.

Please let us know how you progress with speaker placement and your room treatments.

LOL! See Mark, you already know me well. Okay, here is what I now have and about the best I can do with speaker placement in this room. Both speakers are 48" now from the back wall. It is exactly 8' from tweeter to tweeter and 7.3' to the listening position which, to my surprise, does not effect the projector because it is in front of it. The only thing I am still working on is the toe in. I just got some new tubes so I am going to pop them in and see what I have so far. As for the room treatments Mark, I will be adding some treatment further up the wall like was suggested last night with the mirror trick and I will do some ceiling treatments. I do have alot to learn but I feel like I am getting somewhere now with everybody's help. ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
So how does it sound now with your speakers moved further from the side walls and closer together? Also, what do you have that uses tubes? I missed that part.

Mark

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Can you either move the speakers closer together so that the ratio at the very least is 1:1 (tweeter to tweeter = same as listening distance). Robin you should try to get at least that. As I said earlier mine is 1.1

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010
Can you either move the speakers closer together so that the ratio at the very least is 1:1 (tweeter to tweeter = same as listening distance). Robin you should try to get at least that. As I said earlier mine is 1.1

Yes, I can do that. Now in the listening position, is the sound suppose to sound like it coming from the center because that is the way it sounds?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Yes, I can do that. Now in the listening position, is the sound suppose to sound like it coming from the center because that is the way it sounds?

Do you mean the voices sound like they are coming from the center or everything does? If everything does, something isn't right.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

Speaker-to-speaker distance, distance to listening position, toe-in, and program material will all affect where the sound seems to appear from. We are working on a WBF demo/test CD which all the members could use as a reference in discussions like this. It sure would be nice to have a common reference for comparison between our systems. In the absence of that CD, we can suggest some common reference recordings that could help us sort out your system's presentation.

Lee

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010
Do you mean the voices sound like they are coming from the center or everything does? If everything does, something isn't right.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. The voices sound like that and I don't think I've heard it like that before. It sounds like a live concert. I just got through moving them to the 1.1 ratio Steve gave me and I am stunned really. I have a cd in of James Taylor and Carole King, Live at the Troubadour and it sounds fantastic. I can see that room treatments will help significantly

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010
I have been reading the links that Ethan posted above and I'm not sure I understand what the difference is b/w what occurs on the wall behind the speakers vs the side walls, ceiling, etc. I guess what I am asking is where does sound go when it comes out of the speaker? i know that answer determines what treatments I need to do. Also, are treatments speaker specific according to the sound of that type speaker? I hope these questions make sense. I appreciate everybody's patience with my questions and understanding everything.

Robin

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Robin-Different types of speakers have different radiation patterns as you indicated an awareness of. Bipolar speakers radiate to the front and rear as well as electrostats and planar magnetic speakers. Your Wilson speakers radiate out the front only. I'm sure there are some people on this forum who understand the radiation pattern of the Wilson Watt/Puppy speakers and they can give you some definitive answers on their radiation patterens and how that applies to room treatment.

Have you walked around your room yet and clapped your hands to see if you are having echo slap/ringing issues going on? Another clue is if you are listening to music at what I would term realistic levels and the music stops, but yet your room is still ringing.

Mark

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010
Robin-Different types of speakers have different radiation patterns as you indicated an awareness of. Bipolar speakers radiate to the front and rear as well as electrostats and planar magnetic speakers. Your Wilson speakers radiate out the front only. I'm sure there are some people on this forum who understand the radiation pattern of the Wilson Watt/Puppy speakers and they can give you some definitive answers on their radiation patterens and how that applies to room treatment.

Have you walked around your room yet and clapped your hands to see if you are having echo slap/ringing issues going on? Another clue is if you are listening to music at what I would term realistic levels and the music stops, but yet your room is still ringing.

Mark

Mark I meant to tell you yes on that and I do not have echoing, etc with that. It sounds the best right now with what I have done today than at any other time since I got the speakers. Bringing them out more into the room and moving them closer has helped tremendously. I was curious about what I read on those links because I have never thought about "reflection" points and wanted to make some sense of that. I have never heard any dipole speakers that I can recall but I have never really thought about the differences b/w reflection, diffusion, and absorption. I am sitting here looking at this room imagining what would go where. Lol

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing