Need help with my room

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
If you want to do serious listening and can't have all the room treatments you'd like, you can also use "portable" acoustic treatment panels. This way, your room won't be permanently covered with bass traps, etc. Ethan makes stands that hold his bass traps, etc. So, you could pull out all the room treatments (that you don't want to permanently mount) and place them when you're ready to listen.

Not always a super-convenient method, but helps when traffic flow, etc. won't allow you to have stuff in place all the time.

Lee

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Lee-I think Robin is more concerned with making her room sound as good as possible rather than be concerned with the overall looks. I know that flys in the face of most guys' experience with their wives/significant others. Remember, Robin has already installed foam on her rear wall which is more than most married guys could pull off with their wives in a living room. I do believe that Robin is a kindred soul with those of us on this forum.

And Robin, keep asking questions as they come to you. I am confident that everyone here is going to do everything they can to help you.

Mark

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark I meant to tell you yes on that and I do not have echoing, etc with that. It sounds the best right now with what I have done today than at any other time since I got the speakers. Bringing them out more into the room and moving them closer has helped tremendously. I was curious about what I read on those links because I have never thought about "reflection" points and wanted to make some sense of that. I have never heard any dipole speakers that I can recall but I have never really thought about the differences b/w reflection, diffusion, and absorption. I am sitting here looking at this room imagining what would go where. Lol

Robin-Good news that you don't hear any slap echo and I'm glad that you have already improved the sound. I thought it would be better if you moved your speakers closer together and more away from the rear wall as we discussed yesterday.

Mark

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010
If you want to do serious listening and can't have all the room treatments you'd like, you can also use "portable" acoustic treatment panels. This way, your room won't be permanently covered with bass traps, etc. Ethan makes stands that hold his bass traps, etc. So, you could pull out all the room treatments (that you don't want to permanently mount) and place them when you're ready to listen.

Not always a super-convenient method, but helps when traffic flow, etc. won't allow you to have stuff in place all the time.

Lee

I don't think I'll have any problems with permanent treatment. I have wall space that I can mount panels. I do have a question though = what about the lower part of the wall behind the sofa? Since the sofa sits in front of the wall, do you treat that as well or only areas "open" so to speak?

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010
Lee-I think Robin is more concerned with making her room sound as good as possible rather than be concerned with the overall looks. I know that flys in the face of most guys' experience with their wives/significant others. Remember, Robin has already installed foam on her rear wall which is more than most married guys could pull off with their wives in a living room. I do believe that Robin is a kindred soul with those of us on this forum.

And Robin, keep asking questions as they come to you. I am confident that everyone here is going to do everything they can to help you.

Mark

Lol Mark! You are so right. I have always said, and my husband agrees with me, that my concern is never to be a fashion statement. My mother walks through and shakes her head but hey, she doesn't live here so I get a good laugh out of that. You guys are helping me more than you know. Another thing i am doing is removing my rear speakers and moving them. When they were installed [they are aerial rears], the guys for some reason, attached them up near the ceiling. They cut the crown moulding and mounted them up there. I have no idea why but Dan [dwr] encouraged me to move them and I am going to do that tomorrow. They can be mounted on the wall behind our seats on the area on each side of the archway. That should make for nice surround.

Mark, you will enjoy this. When I put the foam up, Keith [husband] had no clue I was going to do it. He came home that night, walked through the room as per usual, rounded the corner to go into the bedroom when I heard him say, "I could swear I just saw cones on the wall." I absolutely cracked up. When he came out he said, "Don't tell me. I don't want to know." LOL

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010
Robin-Good news that you don't hear any slap echo and I'm glad that you have already improved the sound. I thought it would be better if you moved your speakers closer together and more away from the rear wall as we discussed yesterday.

Mark

The sound fills the room now more than ever and, as I told Dan, the imaging is worlds better. Now I'm psyched about more treatments.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Robin, the journey you are going through has only a hand written note when it comes to directions and maps :). Acoustics is 40% science, 40% experience, 20% dogmatic opinion :). You can get two experts here and more often that not, they will disagree based on the latter two. That's why even if you spent months researching this, you will still not be able to become an expert at it.

That said, there are a few simple principals. One is that low frequencies are a different problems than high frequencies. Sound expands in all directions at low frequencies whereas the higher frequencies work more light in being rather directional. Bass traps are a solution to low frequencies. Panels on the side walls are for higher frequencies. You can try some of our suggestions blind but ultimately, this is a complex field which many leave to experts to come and do.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Robin-You are too cool. Most married guys wouldn't have the onions to install a bunch of foam on the rear wall of their wife's living room while the wife was at work. You would really have to sell that one and pay some serious penance. I am one of the lucky married guys who has his own listening room that is sound isloated from the rest of the house and I can *decorate* it however I want.

Mark

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Robin, the journey you are going through has only a hand written note when it comes to directions and maps :). Acoustics is 40% science, 40% experience, 20% dogmatic opinion :). You can get two experts here and more often that not, they will disagree based on the latter two. That's why even if you spent months researching this, you will still not be able to become an expert at it.

That said, there are a few simple principals. One is that low frequencies are a different problems than high frequencies. Sound expands in all directions at low frequencies whereas the higher frequencies work more light in being rather directional. Bass traps are a solution to low frequencies. Panels on the side walls are for higher frequencies. You can try some of our suggestions blind but ultimately, this is a complex field which many leave to experts to come and do.

Amir-I agree with everything you just said. I know some on this forum won't agree, but I do think every room is unique and requires some trial and error. I have read some stories about people that had Rives treatments done only to have to tear them out and start over.

Mark

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010

Amir you are exactly right. I am going to try to do enough in this room to enjoy it and when I finish the upstairs, I will turn that over to the experts. It is totally unfinished and I plan to have it done specifically for 2 channel listening. I am mesmerized by this stuff. I'm not sure why other females are not given the more sensitive hearing that we are said to have.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
When I put the foam up, Keith [husband] had no clue I was going to do it. He came home that night, walked through the room as per usual, rounded the corner to go into the bedroom when I heard him say, "I could swear I just saw cones on the wall." I absolutely cracked up. When he came out he said, "Don't tell me. I don't want to know." LOL
We commonly use WAF when discussing gear and room treatment, but your post made me think that in some instances we also have to use the acronym HAF!

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010
Well, I have done some work to my room. I decided to remove the door and get one of those accordion type doors for the time being. I also ordered the burgandy foam and redid the entire wall and added bass traps. I actually just got my JL F113 sub today and it sounds soooo good. I am really happy with the progress that has been made. I'm definitely heading in the right direction I do believe. Anyway, here is a pic:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looking really swell Z06gal!!!!!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It blows my mind to know that women like Z06 exist. I don't know too many guys who could take over the living room and glue foam on the walls and not come up missing some body parts after their wives came home and saw their handiwork. It looks great by the way Robin.

z06gal

Sep 1, 2010
It blows my mind to know that women like Z06 exist. I don't know too many guys who could take over the living room and glue foam on the walls and not come up missing some body parts after their wives came home and saw their handiwork. It looks great by the way Robin.

Lol mep! The fedex guy that delivered my JL f113 sub happened to be a neighbor which worked out good because I was trying to figure out how I was going to get in in the house let alone in the corner of the room. The thing is that I this equipment is bigger than I am and moving it is really an experience but I'm getting pretty good at it. Anyway he rolled it right in the room, stopped, turned and looked at me and said, "Are you serious?" I said, Yep..quite serious actually. I rarely see him and he has not been in the house till then. So, we opened it and he helped me get it set up. I can't wait to get another one to finish my sub set up. Anyway guys, I am waiting for my acoustic curtains to deal with the opening of the foyer. When they arrive and I get them up, I'll take a couple pics of the whole room for you. Now for the fireplace....LOL I'll admit it, I'm addicted.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing