Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Nelson Pass saying very limited future improvement in Amps/Pre Amps?

Is Nelson Pass saying very limited future improvement in Amps/Pre Amps?

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...nd-end-science

Techies and Engineering types........Is this true?

What are your thoughts?

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/...nd-end-science

What are your thoughts?
    Very interesting comments on the different effect of second harmonic distortion on positive and negative phase of the signal - I would love to hear from other designers concerning this aspect.

Except that nothing really new, but again he clearly refers to audiophile preference:

In the end, the subjective experience is what our customer is looking for. Our taste in sound may not appeal to everyone, but it's what we have to work with, and we only need a small segment of the market to be successful.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/...XfAMVKagiX3.99
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Soundlab A1 Px's while waiting for the XLF successor, EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, Lamm ML1.2 Ref, Lamm L2ref, Stealth Dream speaker , Crystal Dreamline ICs, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

I don't think he's pointing to no developments. Perhaps the issue of amplifier development is like traveling by plane across the US. Getting there in one piece is a settled thing. Amplfication is handled with audio much as staying airborne in a plane is handled. But that doesn't mean the trip can't be more comfortable, quieter and faster.

I suspect that Nelson is refering to the seeming truth that equipment performance advancements, both objective and subjective, are becoming more and more slight. In mathematics there is concept known as an asymptote. An asymptote is a line that approaches another line an progressively decreasingly manner, so that the two lines never actually meet. Speaking for myself, this seems to be occuring in audio equipment performance. Performance improvements appear to be in the realm of rapidly diminishing returns, increasingly minute in magnitude - while increasingly large in cost, by the way.

The bigger question is how close are we to achieving convincingly live sounding reproduction? In other words, if, as Nelson seems to be suggesting, we are nearing an audio equipment performance asymptote (which is a product of present technology), is that approaching asymptote near or relatively still far from the objective of convincingly live sounding reproduction? If it is relatively still far, one conclusion is that convincingly live reproduction will require an paradigm shift in technology, or technical approach, giving a new advancement line who's asymptote comes much nearer to the goal of convincingly live reproduction.

I once tried to ask how close people think we are with reproduced music. Some thought 5% like the real thing, others closer to 80-90%. It is all over the map and totally subjective. Would anyone blindfolded ever be able to confuse reproduced music with live music? If the answer is "no", does that mean that there is a huge gap in the difference, or that they sound very much alike, just slightly different enough to know which is which.

It is sort of like watching a good TV. Never do I think I am looking at real explosions or small actual people talking in front of me in my TV room. However, it is very easy for me to get lost into what I am watching, forget that it is all artificial, and simply immerse myself in the story telling experience and visual spectacle. It is the same with good music reproduced on a good system.

For either of these experiences to become more convincing and at the point of being indistinguishable from the real thing, on a subjective level, a real paradigm shift in technology will have to occur.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I once tried to ask how close people think we are with reproduced music. Some thought 5% like the real thing, others closer to 80-90%. It is all over the map and totally subjective........................................ .................
    I would think that it's closer to 5% than to 80%. But any improvements will come in transducers (mics & speakers), rooms and recording techniques.
    Kevin

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    I think he's right. All the best basic topologies have been out for decades. Everyone is just tweaking, adding their own special sauce....save for Class D which I suppose is relatively new compared to SE, Push/Pull class A and Class AB switching amps.
    Christian

System Gear

As in technology or software advances become increasingly hard to come by;the technology is mature. Speaker management and digital seem to be still fertile ground.
    Speakers: ParAcas Satellites ParAcas Dual 16 subwoofer Velodyne FSR18 Fulton Little Maestros Mission speakers
    Electronics: Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks Accuphase C200 preamp Accuphase P300 amplifer Parasound amplifier ParAcas Sierra electronic crossover
    Digital: Monarchy NM24 DAC Sony DVD Transport
    Tuner: McIntosh MR78
    Cables: NBS Statement,Pro,Master Cables, Nirvana Digital SPDIF Cable
    Turntable: Linn LP12 Technics 1200
    RTR: Ampex 350,351,440BC,MR70
    Studer C37 60hz,Crown 2-844,824

The recordings are becoming the biggest obstacles if you ask me.

We see new stuff, but revolutionary we don't. However I wouldn't proclaim that you shouldn't expect to see new and exciting things. The tougher the circumstances, oftrn the better the innovation.
    Industry Affiliation: Folsom

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I like Nelson's approach - simplicity, finesse rather than brute-force numbers of transistors. But what did he mean by

The objective needs of amplifier users are largely solved on a practical level...

I wonder? I don't see that a cheaper, better sounding amp will not be appreciated by users.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast