Hi from sunny Perth, Western Australia,

just a quick question, I have just bought a continuum S2 integrated
amplifier. All is working fine. I'm just curious about the volume controls
levels. To get say average listening levels I need at least 50 showing on
the display with 60 being better, loudish is with 70 showing. Is this
normal. With the volume maxing out at 99.5 , its seems odd to have the
volume over halfway all the time.

Listening room is 5 meter wide x 4 m long x 2.4 m high. Source is a Yamaha
cds2100 CD player connected to the con s2 via xlr/balanced connections.
Speakers are Dynaudio Confidence 5.

Regards dave

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Probably depends on the sensitivity of your Dynaudio's...which are known to be not that sensitive a speaker--and as such are harder to drive. You also have a fairly large room...and we don't know what you consider to be 'loudish'.
I would think that 50 to 60 would sound about right on your volume scale...given the sensitivity of your speaker and the size of your room. I wouldn't worry about this...Jeff's amps are very durable and this volume shouldn't really faze it.

Corks67

Sep 1, 2017
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. I got in touch with JRDG and yep they replied it was normal. Guess just seemed weird, I had a LSA integrated and 9 o'clock was loud and 10 o'clock was really loud. And like likewise on my previous W4S stp-Se pre + Bryston 4b 30 out of 85 was loud and 40 was really loud.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I have the JR 625 S2 amp and Corus preamp. Most of my listening is done with the volume between 60-70.

Corks67

Sep 1, 2017
I have the JR 625 S2 amp and Corus preamp. Most of my listening is done with the volume between 60-70.

Hi Ric,

Thanks for that, I think I saw on stereonet , you owned a continuum S2 integrated before more to the separated

Cheers Dave

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Hi from sunny Perth, Western Australia,

just a quick question, I have just bought a continuum S2 integrated
amplifier. All is working fine. I'm just curious about the volume controls
levels. To get say average listening levels I need at least 50 showing on
the display with 60 being better, loudish is with 70 showing. Is this
normal. With the volume maxing out at 99.5 , its seems odd to have the
volume over halfway all the time.

Listening room is 5 meter wide x 4 m long x 2.4 m high. Source is a Yamaha
cds2100 CD player connected to the con s2 via xlr/balanced connections.
Speakers are Dynaudio Confidence 5.

Regards dave

The Dyn's definitely have less sensitivity than your average speakers so they are harder to drive. I've had a Jeff Rowland Concerto Integrated amplifier (250W in 8ohms, 500W in 4ohms) and I used to keep the volume between 50 and 60 with Raidho's that are definitely more sensible than your Confidence 5 loudspeakers. No stress for the amp whatsoever... :)

Corks67

Sep 1, 2017
The Dyn's definitely have less sensitivity than your average speakers so they are harder to drive. I've had a Jeff Rowland Concerto Integrated amplifier (250W in 8ohms, 500W in 4ohms) and I used to keep the volume between 50 and 60 with Raidho's that are definitely more sensible than your Confidence 5 loudspeakers. No stress for the amp whatsoever... :)

Hi John

Thank you for your reply and. Information , most appreciated dave

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing