Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: JRDG Continuum S2 integrated volume level question

  1. #1

    JRDG Continuum S2 integrated volume level question

    Hi from sunny Perth, Western Australia,

    just a quick question, I have just bought a continuum S2 integrated
    amplifier. All is working fine. I'm just curious about the volume controls
    levels. To get say average listening levels I need at least 50 showing on
    the display with 60 being better, loudish is with 70 showing. Is this
    normal. With the volume maxing out at 99.5 , its seems odd to have the
    volume over halfway all the time.

    Listening room is 5 meter wide x 4 m long x 2.4 m high. Source is a Yamaha
    cds2100 CD player connected to the con s2 via xlr/balanced connections.
    Speakers are Dynaudio Confidence 5.

    Regards dave

  2. #2
    Addicted to Best! DaveyF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    La Jolla, Calif USA
    Posts
    4,997
    Probably depends on the sensitivity of your Dynaudio's...which are known to be not that sensitive a speaker--and as such are harder to drive. You also have a fairly large room...and we don't know what you consider to be 'loudish'.
    I would think that 50 to 60 would sound about right on your volume scale...given the sensitivity of your speaker and the size of your room. I wouldn't worry about this...Jeff's amps are very durable and this volume shouldn't really faze it.

  3. #3
    Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. I got in touch with JRDG and yep they replied it was normal. Guess just seemed weird, I had a LSA integrated and 9 o'clock was loud and 10 o'clock was really loud. And like likewise on my previous W4S stp-Se pre + Bryston 4b 30 out of 85 was loud and 40 was really loud.

  4. #4
    I have the JR 625 S2 amp and Corus preamp. Most of my listening is done with the volume between 60-70.
    My system: Monitor Audio PL500 II, Jeff Rowland(JR) 625 S2 amp, JR Corus preamp, JR Aeris DAC, Antipodes DS GT music server, Wireworld Platinum XLR cables and power cords, Wireworld Silver speaker cable.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ricjor1 View Post
    I have the JR 625 S2 amp and Corus preamp. Most of my listening is done with the volume between 60-70.
    Hi Ric,

    Thanks for that, I think I saw on stereonet , you owned a continuum S2 integrated before more to the separated

    Cheers Dave

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Corks67 View Post
    Hi from sunny Perth, Western Australia,

    just a quick question, I have just bought a continuum S2 integrated
    amplifier. All is working fine. I'm just curious about the volume controls
    levels. To get say average listening levels I need at least 50 showing on
    the display with 60 being better, loudish is with 70 showing. Is this
    normal. With the volume maxing out at 99.5 , its seems odd to have the
    volume over halfway all the time.

    Listening room is 5 meter wide x 4 m long x 2.4 m high. Source is a Yamaha
    cds2100 CD player connected to the con s2 via xlr/balanced connections.
    Speakers are Dynaudio Confidence 5.

    Regards dave
    The Dyn's definitely have less sensitivity than your average speakers so they are harder to drive. I've had a Jeff Rowland Concerto Integrated amplifier (250W in 8ohms, 500W in 4ohms) and I used to keep the volume between 50 and 60 with Raidho's that are definitely more sensible than your Confidence 5 loudspeakers. No stress for the amp whatsoever...
    Triangle Magellan Cello 2 < AudioQuest Everest DBS 72V < BAT VK-600SE < AudioQuest Hurricane High-Current DBS 72V < AudioQuest NRG-10 DBS 72V < AudioQuest WEL XLR DBS 72V < exaSound e22 DAC w Paul Hynes SR3-12 LPS < Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server < UpTone ISORegen w USPCB A-B < AudioQuest Diamond USB DBS 216V < MacMini w UpTone DC-Conversion Kit < Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE/Classic < IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3 < Furutech FT-SWS < HiFi Tuning Supreme 3 < Solid Tech Hybrid

  7. #7

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
    The Dyn's definitely have less sensitivity than your average speakers so they are harder to drive. I've had a Jeff Rowland Concerto Integrated amplifier (250W in 8ohms, 500W in 4ohms) and I used to keep the volume between 50 and 60 with Raidho's that are definitely more sensible than your Confidence 5 loudspeakers. No stress for the amp whatsoever...

    Hi John

    Thank you for your reply and. Information , most appreciated dave

Similar Threads

  1. Repeatable volume level / how critical?
    By thedudeabides in forum General Audio Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-28-2016, 11:24 AM
  2. Jeff Rowland Continuum Series 2 Integrated Amplifier
    By GuidoCorona in forum Jeff Rowland Design Group Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-05-2015, 07:04 PM
  3. Lucien Pichet now at JRDG
    By flez007 in forum Avalon Acoustics Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2015, 05:22 PM
  4. New Continuum S2 Integrated Amplifier
    By MylesBAstor in forum Jeff Rowland Design Group Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 05:02 PM
  5. Rowland Continuum 500 and Continuum 250 Integrated amplifiers
    By GuidoCorona in forum Jeff Rowland Design Group Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 06:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •