Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very nice! Congratulations!

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
That is a beauty! In NY it is illegal to drive without a front license plate. I have been driving various BMW models for many years without, but never got pulled over and cited until I got my M3 last December. $180.00 fine. After being pulled over twice, I broke down and installed my plate with one of these. https://skenebrackets.com.

Just wait until after you bring it in for the first service at ~1500 miles when they 'unleash' the onboard computer to allow full power (after the car has broken in).

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

That is my wife's 2018 440i. She has the dark blue interior with gray trim.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am sympathetic to the front plate problem. (The Peoples' Republic of) California, also, requires a front plate. I never had a front plate on my non-daily-driver car, and I still don't.

Sadly my local CA dealer used wood screws to affix a front plate bracket to the front bumper of my SL550. So I am stuck with a front plate on my daily-driver car.

The reality is, in California, a car with no front plate which is used as a daily-driver eventually is going to get stopped and ticketed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am sympathetic to the front plate problem. (The Peoples' Republic of) California, also, requires a front plate. I never had a front plate on my non-daily-driver car, and I still don't.

Sadly my local CA dealer used wood screws to affix a front plate bracket to the front bumper of my SL550. So I am stuck with a front plate on my daily-driver car.

The reality is, in California, a car with no front plate which is used as a daily-driver eventually is going to get stopped and ticketed.

You should get DartZeel's - they have gold plated front plates with serial numbers ... :D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
With EZ PASS and cashless tolling, front license plates will become required everywhere.

It's time to get over it. :D

The car manufacturers should just make a slot for it in front just like the rear.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
That is a beauty! In NY it is illegal to drive without a front license plate. I have been driving various BMW models for many years without, but never got pulled over and cited until I got my M3 last December. $180.00 fine. After being pulled over twice, I broke down and installed my plate with one of these. https://skenebrackets.com.

Just wait until after you bring it in for the first service at ~1500 miles when they 'unleash' the onboard computer to allow full power (after the car has broken in).

View attachment 35161 View attachment 35163 View attachment 35162

That is my wife's 2018 440i. She has the dark blue interior with gray trim.

..this is my 11th BMW and 3rd M car...yes they are different cars at 2000+/- miles...right you are sir..

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
..this is my 11th BMW and 3rd M car...yes they are different cars at 2000+/- miles...right you are sir..

When my car went in for the 1200 mile service the dealer confirmed "break-in mode" will be deactivated. Full power and torque are released after the service. The engine and transmission fluid are changed as well as the oil.... It's not just a transitional change! BMW should reprogram the computer at the 1200 mile (first) service.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

If you drive through LAX with no front plate you will get a ticket going out 100% of the time, consider yourself warned!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
British Columbia is one of the four provinces in all of Canada that require both back and front license plates. The others are Ontario, Manitoba and Newfoundland.

There are 140 red light cameras installed in the province by ICBC. Some of the cameras take pictures of the front license plate, not the back one, which means front plates are needed to identify the car.

* If a driver is say from Alberta, or Quebec, and he's/she's driving (vacation, visiting, etc.) in B.C. with his/her car insured in his/her own province (original licence plate), he/she cannot be identified from the front of his/her vehicle by the cameras installed here. It's just the way it is; each province has their own laws and ways to operate cameras, and deciding on one or two plates (only one should cost less, it's like a double music album versus a single one...less material used).

If you think deep enough about it it has some pros and some cons. Which is best? I leave that up to you. Personally, I see more positives in having two. Today with cameras technology it is easier to have the facts when implicated in an accident and in front of a judge from the court of law. Cameras are good, very good...
_____

As of September 2009, the following states (USA) require only a license plate on the back bumper: Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Arizona, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana and West Virginia.

Texas is one of the 31 states that requires vehicles to have a front and rear license plate. ... According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, every vehicle must have a front and rear license plate.

If you live in VA, your vehicle must have license plates issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Most vehicles are required to display license plates on BOTH the front and back, while other vehicles only need a rear plate.

In California, it's not a matter of whether or not your car has the mounts - according to the DMV, if you were issued two plates (as are all passenger vehicles), you are required to have two plates on your car, front & back. Vehicle Code section 5200.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
When my car went in for the 1200 mile service the dealer confirmed "break-in mode" will be deactivated. Full power and torque are released after the service. The engine and transmission fluid are changed as well as the oil.... It's not just a transitional change! BMW should reprogram the computer at the 1200 mile (first) service.

..you lost me...so do they reprogram at the 1200 mi service or not??

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Congrats! Hopefully you viewed the mandatory video that all BMW drivers must see!!

A-hole BMW drivers.jpg

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'd much rather everyone drove like the average BMW driver than the average Prius driver... :)

Congrats on the new car, nice choice!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing