Anyone heard the new KR Audio P135 balanced DHT preamp?

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
There's a glowing review on Positive Feedback. Comparing favorably with NAT Plasma and Einstein "The Tube" MkII preamplifier. But I couldn't find any other review/feedback online. Anyone heard this preamp? I'd like to hear your opinions. I heard it's balanced. But there's only a pair of 45 tubes. And although being DHT, it's a very small unit.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/kr-audio-p-135-preamplifier/

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Single ended but has one pair of XLR inputs and one pair of XLR outputs. No problem driving the Atlas Signature Stereo amp in my bedroom.

Oh it has the 45 goodness in spades. I've been playing around with KR's own 45s, Sylvanias and Cunningham Globes. It's the little preamp that could. I like it so much I've decided to get one for myself and go to show with it partnered with the 842VDH based KR VA200 monos powering Von Scweikert VR-55s. Front end will be a TechDAS Air Force 2 with Graham Elite and TD COI Ti cart, Lamm LP2.1 and for digital an Aurender W20. Not decided on the DAC yet. I may go with the Light Harmonic Da Vinci II or EERA's new Meister. Racks all CMS, Cables all MasterBuilt except for the USB cable (Lightspeed by LH)

Look at it this way. This little guy is the single least expensive item except the USB cable and it is at the very heart of the system. That is how much faith I have in it. Morricab's review mirrors my own observations sans the comparisons he's made as I have not heard what he compared it against.

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
Helpful feedback! Thanks Jack!

One of the KR Audio dealer in US, asked KR Audio and told me that P135 is truly balanced. So, I'm little confused whether it's balanced/single ended.

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
Also, how big is the soundstage of P135? Are they suitable for rock music and average quality recording?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm pretty sure it is single ended :)

It is a very smooth and extended preamp. While I was listening mostly to DSD, I did stick a stick full of 16/44.1 files I got off Beatport. Can they rock? Oh yes. It throws a wide and dense stage. Loads of texture and nuance. I find it superior in every way to the little brother that uses KR's proprietary Octals which has more of a tendency toward big tone (think 6SN7s). I found it very forgiving of average recordings, it actually prettifies them a bit. I'm not an accuracy nazi but I still have strict limits on colouration. If something were to err, this is how I like it going that wee bit astray. Take FM Acoustics' top preamp. Yes it has a distinct sound of its own but it's so beguiling it makes me not care. :).

It's a lovely sounding preamp that is swoon worthy for simple music but as the review says, it's got dynamics too.

I've been running them into an Aesthetix Atlas Signature, The Aesthetix Pre is going through the latest upgrade. I had been using my trusty BAT VK-32 SE Super Pack which doesn't have the depth of the VK-51 and REX but is still a keeper. Speakers in my bedroom are Endeavor E-3s. When my Ultra 11s arrive, I'll bring VR-44s up to the bedroom.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You should get the EML anniversary mesh globe 45s they make specially for Lampi, they trounce all those other 45s. Another guy I know heard this preamp, loved it, and used these tubes and found a big improvement. I haven’t heard it yet, expect to next quarter. The cost of the valves is around 700 euro, so not much for a preamp upgrade.
I love KR valves but not their 45s, their PX4s are much better than EML PX4s, as are their regular 45s, but no comparison to the special globe annivs.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You should get the EML anniversary mesh globe 45s they make specially for Lampi, they trounce all those other 45s. Another guy I know heard this preamp, loved it, and used these tubes and found a big improvement. I haven’t heard it yet, expect to next quarter. The cost of the valves is around 700 euro, so not much for a preamp upgrade.
I love KR valves but not their 45s, their PX4s are much better than EML PX4s, as are their regular 45s, but no comparison to the special globe annivs.

Have to remember that tubes behave differently in different circuits Ked. Take the Atlas. Much as I love Tungsol GTBs, the amp sounds much better with the Russian tubes chosen and voiced with by Jim White. What you say may be true for a Lampi but this is a KR on a KR as voiced by Mark Genecev.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It is single ended. It is one of two preamps I would recommend in the sub 10k class...

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Currently have this on loan, along with a Golden Gate. Power amps are Berning Quadrature Z driving a few different speakers. It's a cracking pre with good transparency across the frequency range, very good sound-stage, and timbrally very natural, allowing the GG to shine through.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Again on the KR pre you will get a great upgrade putting on the special 45s. In fact putting them on both will take it to new heights

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing