Technics brings back the SP10

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I've known Jacob Heilbrunn since 2002 when he visited me in my previous home. I've spoken to him numerous times, particularly when he was building his room. I specifically talked to Jacob when he acquired both the Caliburn TT and the Wilson XLF's and he was going to buy those whatever the price he paid. I've not spoken to him since he got the Wamm's.

likely in the whole world Jacob has the best room of any reviewer. any manufacturer would love to have gear in that room. so he likely can pick and choose, and he does. and if he wants to buy something, he has the means. not all reviewers do.

so there may be feelings involved understandably with accommodation pricing with Jacob or anyone, but it has nothing to do with what Jacob writes, other than he will write about things he likes. and I don't have any gear or brands in common with him at all. but that is how he is. just my 2 cents. I realize i'm not going to change anyone's mind. but felt I should add the data point.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I get the wariness on accommodation pricing, I really do. I’m just a bit unsure why JH is being singled out for criticism re this particular mini review. As far as I can see, so many reviews end w the phrase “I liked it so much, I bought the review sample”. Not just this one.
I’m sure you got some kind of discount, ie accommodation pricing buying your Stacore platforms as a forum member and then raved about them here, should we be weary of your motives Marc :)?

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I’m sure you got some kind of discount, ie accommodation pricing buying your Stacore platforms as a forum member and then raved about them here, should we be weary of your motives Marc :)?

david

Around my neighborhood, they call this karma circle.

Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dave, for the record I got my two platforms at the price as stated in the website. The only positive was that Jarek threw in free carriage for me, and that hardly influenced what I wrote about the product - had I decided not to keep them, the carriage would have been covered anyway as part of the free no obligation trial.
I was offered over 60% off on the active alternative that I turned down (it was ex-demo) making it more financially favourable than my actual choice, and yet I didn’t go with that one.
I wish I did have the gift that got me amazing discounts on any gear that I rave about. But if I did, I guess I’d be a professional reviewer LOL.

I’ve heard some stories of well known reviewers taking stuff on l/t trial, and 18 months after a positive review, STILL not return gear, meaning they have a stable of superlative gear none of which they’ve paid for. As a result I put v little trust in the reviews they publish.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
This is my last post on this thread.

If some members cannot grasp why 'accommodation' pricing can lead to temptation that does not need to be there, then whatever I say from this point forward is going to fall on death ears.

Enough said.

As long as they pay for it, I have no issue.

Reviewing is hard and time consuming. They deserve accommodation pricing.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
This subject deserves its own thread.
Libel laws may need to be put aside LOL.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Back on topic then...

Final pricing is announced for these units:

SP-10RE-S = $8,999
SL-1000RE-S = $16,999

Delivery is now expected late Spring/early Summer.

Again, we'll have the first ever showing of this beauty to the public in an event March 17th. I'll post more information later, but mark your calendars :)

cheers,
alex

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Back on topic then...

SP-10RE-S = $8,999
SL-1000RE-S = $16,999

Again, we'll have the first ever showing of this beauty to the public in an event March 17th. I'll post more information later, but mark your calendars :)

cheers,
alex

Wish you a successful launch and sell a few dozens.

Kind regards,
Tang

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, Tang :)

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Looking forward to the launch.

Quick question, the difference in price...$8000... what does this buy you besides the Technics arm and a plinth?

48 extra pounds, an armboard, a plinth and the tonearm.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
You can buy armboards for $1,299 each. There are pre-set models for Technics, SME, Ortofon, Jelco and Ikeda arms, as well as a blank one.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Back on topic then...

SP-10RE-S = $8,999
SL-1000RE-S = $16,999

cheers,
alex

That will kill secondary market for Technics SP 10 Mk III real quick

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Only if the new SP10 beats the old. No way of knowing just yet.
Plenty of reimaginings of older tech don’t stand up.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
spiritofmusic

Only if the new SP10 beats the old, no way of knowing just yet. Plenty of reimaginings of older tech don’t stand up.

Indeed, true and well stated. Furthermore, the published technical bench specifications between the Mk3 and upcoming Sp10R are literally neck and neck for the most part, with the Sp10Mk3’s motor still edging ahead by way of torque with a heavier platter, substantially larger, more robust hydrodynamic bearing architecture and still going to be hard to beat -92db weighted rumble. Of course many more factors additionally come into play :)

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
spiritofmusic

Indeed, true and well stated. Furthermore, the published technical bench specifications between the Mk3 and upcoming Sp10R are literally neck and neck for the most part, with the Sp10Mk3’s motor still edging ahead by way of torque with a heavier platter, substantially larger, more robust hydrodynamic bearing architecture and still going to be hard to beat -92db weighted rumble. Of course many more factors additionally come into play :)

Everything being equal, it will come down to a choice b/w 30-40 y/old machine with unknown history and condition, vs. a brand new one, that is under a manufacturer's warranty.
That's an easy choice for many.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
I would rather buy a new table with a warranty then buy a revamped table from someone that forgets about you after the sale as some have told me about their experiences.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Everything being equal, it will come down to a choice b/w 30-40 y/old machine with unknown history and condition, vs. a brand new one, that is under a manufacturer's warranty.
That's an easy choice for many.

While I cannot speak for everyone, I personally know of at least one manufacturer specializing in vintage based analog playback devices offering fully restored, serviced and upgraded Technics Sp10Mk3's with full warranty and after sale support. :rolleyes:

Gary J I would rather buy a new table with a warranty then buy a revamped table from someone that forgets about you after the sale as some have told me about their experiences.

Agreed, as would most of us faced with a similar scenario I believe. Pointedly, with that being said, if you are friends with, or know someone requiring any further technical related consultation services relating to a Technics Sp10Mk.3, please do not hesitate to recommend he contact us directly for consultation.

Ultimately, for most experienced analog enthusiast clients, sheer playback capabilities will likely be the final deciding factor between the Sp10R and a optimized Sp10Mk3. There is obviously something definitely to be said for brand new, however, the Technics Sp10Mk.3, although of vintage origin, remains a tested, tried and true, rock solid, highly serviceable world class direct drive instrument nonetheless.

Speaking from solely a personal perspective, I for one am very anxious to begin listening to, testing with and comparing the upcoming Technics Sp10R head-to-head with all of our Technics Sp10Mk3 based models on offer from stock to the direct motor coupled models (ie. NG, NGS).

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Slight change in pricing:

SP-10RE-S
$9,999.99
SL-1000RE-S
$17,999.99
Arm-Board
$1,299.99

We're quickly pre-selling out most of our initial allocation. Demand for this baby is extraordinary!

Benanton

May 1, 2015
Anyone preorder or thinking of ordered either the SP-10r or SL-1000r? I’m very tempted to, and I’d particularly like the SL-1000r but I’m extremely bummed that the main arm can’t be swapped out (or so it seems). Any thoughts on the quality of the Technics arm? I know it’s 10” and supposedly has better bearings but I can’t imagine it’s that much different than then 1200G arm.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing