Technics brings back the SP10

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Comment from VPI on the Fremer thread stating that the VPI direct measured better than this sp10r in the review by Fremer with same app.

I think it's classless for manufacturers to comment on other products/comnpetitors- in particular a pre-production unit.

Then again, I don't think much of VPI to begin with.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
At these levels of accuracy, I imagine that sonic differences depend more on other things like materials, build quality, vibration dampening/drainage, isolation, internal noise, etc etc. GPA claims that this level of speed accuracy is clearly audible, but how many of us have every done comparisons to really know if it is speed accuracy or some other aspect of the design which accounts for its sound?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think it's classless for manufacturers to comment on other products/comnpetitors- in particular a pre-production unit.

It is clear that VPI is following this closely. Technics may shake up the analog scene with this new DD table. Fremer has really liked VPI over the years, but I agree with you, that just seems weird for VPI to comment about this on Fremer's blog.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

Agree VPI hierarchy publicly dissed another alternative brand TT on AAsylum a couple of years back-- someone there needs to button the lip maybe:(

Doing their "Mana" in the community no favours.

Can't say I'm a fan of VPI either-every time I've auditioned one I hear a rather bland sonic presentation-- well built though

BruceD

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

I concur that Mat shouldn’t have posted that. Guess they are annoyed as the new Technics will definitely hurt VPI business.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Technics will break more than a few tt companies’ fortunes.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I concur that Mat shouldn’t have posted that. Guess they are annoyed as the new Technics will definitely hurt VPI business.

Perhaps VPI should have done some simple marketing before bringing out their 30k DD turntable that looked the same as their 3k Classic turntable. That is what killed that product - VPI's own stupidity as the table sounded great.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Perhaps VPI should have done some simple marketing before bringing out their 30k DD turntable that looked the same as their 3k Classic turntable. That is what killed that product - VPI's own stupidity as the table sounded great.

Yeah totally agreed. They had an opportunity to create a really stand out product both in tech and looks terms. I assume that they do an Avenger Direct or maybe Titan direct if you requested. Not my kind of looks but certainly more ostentatious that the classic chassis.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

They were likely caught up in the furore of analog re-birth and probably thought that if they built it, they would come....Sadly they did not count on or chose to dismiss the elephant in the room which is likely to blow them into the weeds......

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

x2

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Howie, maybe the VPI is sponsored by POTUS and fulfils the MAGA line
Ironic if the SP10R makes Made In Japan pivotal for a new tt that truly outperforms at its price point

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie, maybe the VPI is sponsored by POTUS and fulfils the MAGA line
Ironic if the SP10R makes Made In Japan pivotal for a new tt that truly outperforms at its price point

I was going to go there but then decided to stay apolitical:rolleyes:

With Techdas and Technics, Made in Japan is definitely not second rate, rather over here it is a sign of quality and commands a premium.

Reactions: hogen

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I wasn’t trying to make a snarky point.
High end audio firms will struggle to compete w Technics resources and funding for this project.
VPI know that v well, hence their response.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I know. I am all for supporting the small passionate manufacturer. What I don’t like is a lack of decorum from competitors. It is off-putting and with so many choices, I would rather put my money with someone who plays by the Queensberry rules.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Technics played the SP-10R (or rather the full SL-1000R) on the Norddeutsche Hifitage hifi show today. It's the first one that arrived in Germany though still a pre-production model. I don't want to judge on SQ from a show demo on mid size Technics gear. But what I can say is that this thing is a stunning beauty. Much more than any picture can tell.

IMG_7694__Technics-SP-10R_1200px.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Technics played the SP-10R (or rather the full SL-1000R) on the Norddeutsche Hifitage hifi show today. It's the first one that arrived in Germany though still a pre-production model. I don't want to judge on SQ from a show demo on mid size Technics gear. But what I can say is that this thing is a stunning beauty. Much more than any picture can tell.

Yes, the Technics SL-1000R is beautiful. Japanese minimalism.

However, I also wonder whether the plinths of Artisan Fidelity (their model - TECHNICS SP10MK3 NGS) can be used with the new Technics the new Technics SP10R ?
They are beautiful too :

Technics 1.jpg

Technics 2.jpg

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Yes, the Technics SL-1000R is beautiful. Japanese minimalism.

However, I also wonder whether the plinths of Artisan Fidelity (their model - TECHNICS SP10MK3 NGS) can be used with the new Technics the new Technics SP10R ?
They are beautiful too :

View attachment 38514

View attachment 38515

They should be able to. the new SP10R motor is a drop in replacement for the SP10 mk2 and mk3 motors.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing