Technics brings back the SP10

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
jdza, I concur, $5.7k is the “new lo fi”, it seems, NO LOL!
Advice to get where you belong? Are you happy where you are? Then you’ve arrived, you belong.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That is funny Keith. You've only reinforced my exact thoughts... the entire premise of their existence originates in being large enough to sell stuff much cheaper. With their teams of people they can do stuff much quicker and easier. They can make it all for very little with their resources.

If they were small timers I wouldnt have any expectations of price. And I wouldnt even expect the amount of customized parts.

Ha.

I'm debating replacing the Bardo you heard with one. I'm just not sure how much better sound I would obtain or if I want the hassle of finding the right plinth (and if my Brinkmann 10.5 arm would even be a good match?). It also might not be as user friendly for me in my "short" disposition.

I'm a sucker for a Technics after djing for years on them - so at least admit i'm somewhat biased!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I remember selling my DD Technics and replacing it with a belt drive Dual....and getting big smile on my face when I did that! Today, i would definitely want to listen to the new SP10 in my own system before making a change in my TT. Keith, going from a Bardo to the Technics is an interesting idea, but I would definitely listen to the SP10 first in your system. Unfortunately, the fact that it comes without a plinth and arm board etc., makes that very difficult.....perhaps on purpose??:confused:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ha.

I'm debating replacing the Bardo you heard with one. I'm just not sure how much better sound I would obtain or if I want the hassle of finding the right plinth (and if my Brinkmann 10.5 arm would even be a good match?). It also might not be as user friendly for me in my "short" disposition.

I'm a sucker for a Technics after djing for years on them - so at least admit i'm somewhat biased!

I wouldn't discourage you from buying one if it "feels right" to you. I willingly pay for that kind of fulfillment.

But I wouldn't proclaim that I would expect any wild results from the performance of it, over the Bardo.

Last edited:

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
Decisions, Decisions, For me it is down to the Kuzma Stabi M with 4 point arm or the Technics SL-1000R table, such a tough choice.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Decisions, Decisions, For me it is down to the Kuzma Stabi M with 4 point arm or the Technics SL-1000R table, such a tough choice.

I have a friend with the Stabi M + 4 point as well as a Bardo he just got in - will see how it sounds.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
Keith call it crazy but the Stabi M in red looks great to me it breaks up that all black look. As for the Technics table it is new and untested but Mike Fremer seem to really like it when he listened to it at CES this week. Some have said the sound of the Technics SP-10 MK-3 can sound cold at times not sure if the new table has that same signature.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I did hear the SP-1000R. It was mounted with 3 tonearms, but the one playing was the Ortofon on Technics' new 10" arm.

I'm sorry for the "lowly" comment on the Ortofon. For some reason, I thought it was a $2000-$2500 cartridge. But alas, it's not. So yeah, it did make sense to have it in that system. We've ran the Ortofon A-95 with our 1200 GAE, and it's gorgeous as well.

I just wish I could've heard the SP-1000R with the other arm/cartridge combinations... Or a better phono stage...

Here's a pic of the setup at CES.

IMG_0317.jpg IMG_0317.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This in a custom Artisan Fidelity plinth would be really interesting.

6C4FCDC4-83CE-4DC3-B8FA-97640452E72E.jpeg

Oh..and a Patek Philippe pepper grinder Bruce recommended too I forgot. :p

Tang

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
One could argue a centering turntable is far more accurate. The difference is easier to read.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Fascinating in depth early report.
From the guy who set the cat amongst the pidgeons with that “damning with faint praise” review of the first GP Monaco 1.0.
It looks like it’s up there with some established serious big hitters.
I do wonder if the best option here is the “base” SP10 motor/platter at $10k, installed in a plinth/armboard/tonearm of your choice.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Fascinating in depth early report.
From the guy who set the cat amongst the pidgeons with that “damning with faint praise” review of the first GP Monaco 1.0.
It looks like it’s up there with some established serious big hitters.
I do wonder if the best option here is the “base” SP10 motor/platter at $10k, installed in a plinth/armboard/tonearm of your choice.

Go for it Marc.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanks for the advice Tang, but I’m doing ok
However YOU might consider getting one
With that range of exemplary belt drives and idler, surely a DD is needed in yr stable?
I’m too busy saving funds for more isolation.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
"the most accurate or among a handful of the most accurate turntables ever designed and manufactured. It sounded as it measured, with a reel-to-reel tape-like rhythmic consistency and accuracy that produced severe relaxation and unprecedented, in my experience, low listener fatigue."

I find the part about the most accurate turntables to be in line with my experience with the SP10mk2/mk3. However, the part about "relaxation and low listener fatigue" is certainly off from my experience w/both the mk2 and mk3. If the new 10R is can deliver the "relaxation" and "low listener fatigue" parts while able to maintain the rhythmic consistency, it will certainly be my next table.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’ve just auditioned a Sony DD, 70s vintage, updated to 2017 Spec, with a nested isolating plinth, sporting a late 70s 12” SAEC506 arm, and modestly priced, but seriously overperforming Aidas cart
I detected ZERO fatigue, and MAXIMUM involvement
If this new tt maintains these positives and goes further as a ground up new design, it will slay

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
"the most accurate or among a handful of the most accurate turntables ever designed and manufactured. It sounded as it measured, with a reel-to-reel tape-like rhythmic consistency and accuracy that produced severe relaxation and unprecedented, in my experience, low listener fatigue."

If this statement is true, this would seem to be what the American Sound AS2000 massive belt drive table can do as well. Now that would be a fascinating turntable comparison, same arm, cartridge etc.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I believe Tang is the man for this mission.
If he wishes to accept...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I believe Tang is the man for this mission.
If he wishes to accept...

Not sure why he is the man. To be a man, he needs a DD in his portfolio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing