Technics brings back the SP10

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We have some great after-market plinth modders in the U.K.
NorthWest Analogue can do single-, double-, and even triple-tier slate plinth/armboard variations.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yep, I'm already looking at a handful of alternatives for the SP-10 plinths, in case folks want something different than Technics' is offering.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yep, I'm already looking at a handful of alternatives for the SP-10 plinths, in case folks want something different than Technics' is offering.

How about this. Maybe persuaded into remanufacture
91578918-1D31-4776-AFFC-856F927DF9DA.jpeg

Attachments

• 2D86BD63-D79C-4D45-9C5C-EBA16DA47D83.jpg
    2D86BD63-D79C-4D45-9C5C-EBA16DA47D83.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 468

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Greetings XV-1 and others,

They should be able to. the new SP10R motor is a drop in replacement for the SP10 mk2 and mk3 motors.

According to Christopher, as soon as they receive the first Sp10r, they will make the necessary measurements for fitting into an NGS plinth, if the model warrants the efforts :) Time will tell...... My Artisan Fidelity Technics Sp10Mk3 NGS is an analog playback force to be reckoned with and currently I can foresee no need to replace it with another direct drive. New does not always mean better.

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
CKKeung, my favorite NGS finish Mercedes Obsidian micro suede.

artisanfidelityngsdirectdrive.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Very much looking fwds to the first user report of a new SP10R in a custom plinth.
Some established marques are going to have their noses seriously put out of position.

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
bonzo75

Hi, so what differences do you now between your MS 8000 and the technics, and the various arms that you have? Great collection

Greetings!

In my own experience, the Micro Seiki SX 8000 and the Artisan Fidelity Technics Sp10Mk3 NGS each in use and by nature remain entirely different yet beastly animals, but fortunately both excel in the art of record playback. Talk about apples and oranges, this is a lengthy topic requiring someone with far more articulate writing skills than I possess to provide you with an adequate explanation. :D Beginning with the Micro, which is a champion of majesty, scale, air, subtlety, refinement, articulation, quietness and immense depth + width of soundstage. Whereas the Sp10Mk3 NGS emanates life sized projection of recording scale, width + height, solidity, focus, pitch perfect speed, neutrality, superlative channel separation capability, palpable macro dynamic contrasts, sheer see through transparency with silent backgrounds yet remains very refined as well. Both decks are accurate, erring towards the musical neutral, balanced side of the spectrum to a degree in character, with the direct drive sounding a bit more dynamic and the Micro a tad more relaxed in comparison. Naturally, each design differs not only through different drive propulsion systems and engineering methodology read: belt drive & air bearing vs. direct drive & conventional oil sump bearing but also with dissimilar internal base material composition. When it comes to sheer mass, the Micro setup tips the scales at about 292lbs. with all ancillary components (if memory serves?) and the AF Mk3 NGS in the area of 239lbs., both extremely heavy and exquisitely built pieces. Best to find the right room location and setup one time only! :cool: Both instruments are brutally revealing in nature, imo especially the AF NGS, it will react immediately to any minuscule change to setup, it hides nothing on the recording or within the tonearm and phono cartridge relationship, so if after setting up you hear anything that sounds off per se, better double check every single parameter carefully for proper connections, alignment & calibration and be sure everything else in the system is up to snuff. To immediately hear the synergy and tiny nuances existing between arms and various carts without coloration, imo this is the ideal model to use for comparing.

Let me have a little rest first and get back to you about some tonearms....:)

Last edited:

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
bonzo75

Greetings!

In my own experience, the Micro Seiki SX 8000 and the Artisan Fidelity Technics Sp10Mk3 NGS each in use and by nature remain entirely different yet beastly animals, but fortunately both excel in the art of record playback. Talk about apples and oranges, this is a lengthy topic requiring someone with far more articulate writing skills than I possess to provide you with an adequate explanation. :D Beginning with the Micro, which is a champion of majesty, scale, air, subtlety, refinement, articulation, quietness and immense depth + width of soundstage. Whereas the Sp10Mk3 NGS emanates life sized projection of recording scale, width + height, solidity, focus, pitch perfect speed, neutrality, superlative channel separation capability, palpable macro dynamic contrasts, sheer see through transparency with silent backgrounds yet remains very refined as well. Both decks are accurate, erring towards the musical neutral, balanced side of the spectrum to a degree in character, with the direct drive sounding a bit more dynamic and the Micro a tad more relaxed in comparison. Naturally, each design differs not only through different drive propulsion systems and engineering methodology read: belt drive & air bearing vs. direct drive & conventional oil sump bearing but also with dissimilar internal base material composition. When it comes to sheer mass, the Micro setup tips the scales at about 292lbs. with all ancillary components (if memory serves?) and the AF Mk3 NGS in the area of 239lbs., both extremely heavy and exquisitely built pieces. Best to find the right room location and setup one time only! :cool: Both instruments are brutally revealing in nature, imo especially the AF NGS, it will react immediately to any minuscule change to setup, it hides nothing on the recording or within the tonearm and phono cartridge relationship, so if after setting up you hear anything that sounds off per se, better double check every single parameter carefully for proper connections, alignment & calibration and be sure everything else in the system is up to snuff. To immediately hear the synergy and tiny nuances existing between arms and various carts without coloration, imo this is the ideal model to use for comparing.

Let me have a little rest first and get back to you about some tonearms....:)

Great! i enjoyed reading your post immensely.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
So long as he gets his 'accommodation' pricing...but at full retail..then the true statement would be forthcoming, I suspect!!!!
Sorry, but I'm in that kind of a mood tonight; and I have just about it had with these guys who proclaim how they are considering acquiring the piece and forget to mention the pricing that they are actually paying.
Pay full retail and let's talk then, LOL

BTW, I’m not specifically talking about the Technics TT...but this happens to be the example here.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So long as he gets his 'accommodation' pricing...but at full retail..then the true statement would be forthcoming, I suspect!!!!
Sorry, but I'm in that kind of a mood tonight; and I have just about it had with these guys who proclaim how they are considering acquiring the piece and forget to mention the pricing that they are actually paying.
Pay full retail and let's talk then, LOL

BTW, I’m not specifically talking about the Technics TT...but this happens to be the example here.

Jacob Heilbrunn would probably get any turntable (or any other equipment) at accommodation price . He clearly writes what motivated him to think about procuring one SP10 in the future in this well written short pre-review - IMHO it is what really matters.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Jacob Heilbrunn would probably get any turntable (or any other equipment) at accommodation price . He clearly writes what motivated him to think about procuring one SP10 in the future in this well written short pre-review - IMHO it is what really matters.

You do not think that the “accommodation “ pricing has anything to do with his description to procure the piece...??
For instance, his recent acquisition of the Wilson Wamm...which he paid probably a small fraction of the retail price..
When you or other consumers would have to pay retail. That doesn’t play at all into your decision to acquire the piece under review; to me that is a factor that should be disclosed to the readership, even if most ( not all) are probably assuming this event anyway.
Let me give you an analogy, I review the latest top of the line Lamborghini, the car retails at $400k...and I notice that the engine sputters over 3000 rpm...consistently. However, the manufacturer is going to sell me the car for $50k...and I only have to keep it a year before I can sell it. Do you really believe that my review is saying one thing about the engine sputter...do you!:(

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Had a few enjoyable hours with the new SP1000R & audio technica ART1000 this weekend Excellent sounding deck

. 20180223_151318.jpg

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
You do not think that the “accommodation “ pricing has anything to do with his description to procure the piece...??

I do not, because he could get "accommodation pricing" for just about any single turntable out there. And proportionally, X% off a 100K table is a lot more money than the same X% off a $20K table.

He simply liked what he heard, and thinks he might be interested in buying one. When did that become a crime?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing