Phono Stages with 3-4 inputs

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hello Tang,

Did you ever find a very high-quality switcher box?

I do agree with MikeL's sonic perfectionist point. So maybe the middle path is to accept a tiny sonic penalty and use an intermediate pair of short and easily accessible interconnects, swapping between or among phono cables on a short interconnect extension, rather than unplugging and plugging directly into the back of the phono stage box?
No Ron. I am only using one phono preamp now so no need for switching box.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
5 inputs musical-fidelity-nu-vista-frei1-1024x386.jpg

Reactions: Arcus7

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Esoteric E-02 - 3 inputs, 1 x XLR and 2 x RCA - remembers settings for each input. XLR or rca output must be selected, so can't use simultaneously, which is a pity.
I will hopefully have a listen to it at home in afew weeks.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Esoteric E-02 - 3 inputs, 1 x XLR and 2 x RCA - remembers settings for each input. XLR or rca output must be selected, so can't use simultaneously, which is a pity.

Esoteric makes nice products. I almost bought the C-03 preamp. Part of me wishes I would have. I really liked the adjustable gain on that preamp. I hope it is a pleasant audition.

Reactions: XV-1

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Project have brought out a new balanced input phono stage, the Phono Box RS2. Looks very interesting. Noel Keywood in the March issue of Hifi World has given it a five star review. Keenly priced at £1300.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

Were you able to get a demo Phonolab to try as well? That would be a very interesting comparo...

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Were you able to get a demo Phonolab to try as well? That would be a very interesting comparo...
Hi Solypsa,
Phonostages from 3-4 Inputs is the titel of this thread.
As you know, the AS Phonolab Version "QUADRIGA" from Audiospecials, a German manufacturer, offers 4 Inputs. Including the fantastic RECOMPIZER to increase the dynamic.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

I have yet to look into that - Phonolab being on the other side of the world does give it some logistical issues. That does not mean, when the time is right I will not reach out. I do like the 4 input option as you can stagger each box away from each other to be closer to connect 4 tonearms/tables.

One questions - are the rca and xlr outputs on simultaneously? I like this option with my Accuphase as I can use both outputs with different cables to provide a slightly different sound by selecting different inputs.

the Esoteric I can borrow from the local dealer at any time.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
I have used my Audio Research Phone 2 ref phonostage for a number of years but as I consider adding another arm to my Avid Acutus and possibly a new TT with one or two arms I might wish to trade in my AR for one with multiple inputs. Don't really want to roll phonostages! What good phonostages have 3-4 (all MC) inputs? Can be a combination of rca and XLR inputs.

You guys with multiple TTs. What do you do?

Thanks
The Thoress phono enhancer has multiple inputs and you can specify the loading you require. I have posted (what's the best phono stage) the latest manual from Rienhart that is, in my opinion, one of the best instruction manuals i have read. I do not own a Thoress (yet) but have been talking to Reinhart about his EQ settings etc.

Reactions: howiebrou

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
... One questions - are the rca and xlr outputs on simultaneously? I like this option with my Accuphase as I can use both outputs with different cables to provide a slightly different sound by selecting different inputs.
Yes you can! In truth it never occurred to me to do this so have not tried it yet. I did confirm with Mr. Fehlauer @ Audiospecials directly about it.

Each Phonolab has both xlr and rca outputs, which we now know can be used simultaneously, so a 'Quadriga' ( double Phonolabs on one powersupply giving four phono inputs ) will have 4 total outputs two from one selected input and two from another selected input. Make sense?

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Yes you can! In truth it never occurred to me to do this so have not tried it yet. I did confirm with Mr. Fehlauer @ Audiospecials directly about it.

Each Phonolab has both xlr and rca outputs, which we now know can be used simultaneously, so a 'Quadriga' ( double Phonolabs on one powersupply giving four phono inputs ) will have 4 total outputs two from one selected input and two from another selected input. Make sense?

Makes total sense, thanks. So you need a minimum 2 output cables to run the 4 inputs thou?

Cheers

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Makes total sense, thanks. So you need a minimum 2 output cables to run the 4 inputs thou?

Cheers
Yep...each phonolab is two preamps that route to an ( but with two types) output. So with a quad setup will have two inputs selectable on one ( xlr+rca ) out, ditto for the second unit...

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Currently I do use the following PhonoPres with multiple inputs:

- Phasemation EA-550

photo-1.png rear-1.png

- LAB 12 Melto II

images-1.jpeg images-2.jpeg

Reactions: XV-1 and howiebrou

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I forgot to mention my

Boulder 2008

as PhonoPreAmp with 3 inputs.
Will listen to the Boulder soon with a Phasemation T-2000 step up :)

BOULDER-2008-Phono-Stage-Pre-Vorverstärker-MC.jpg

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
I use the LAB 12 Melto 2 myself which has 3 flexible inputs, i.e. they can be mapped for MM or MC independently. If I use my SUT into one of the inputs my SUT has 2 further inputs which can allow me to have 4 arms attached to the phono stage

Reactions: shakti

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
Air Tight ATE -2001 3 MC 1MM

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing