Phono Stages with 3-4 inputs

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I do like my Accuphase C-37. 3 inputs for MM or MC with memory and 3 ground posts. 100K loading for MM if you want to try.

Sounds a treat.

Shane, much of the accuphase line could be described as "gentle and smooth". Would that apply to the phono? I am guessing no, as your equipment suggests a like of a more dynamic sound?

Howie

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Lamm LP1 Sig gives you three MC inputs if you use an outboard transformer plugged into the MM inputs. I use it that way. My Allnic has a total of 4 inputs. 2 MC and 2 MM. for 4 total MC inputs if I run outbd trannies.

Gosh. Outboard step ups. That puts another twist into the puzzle and more fun for the journey! I guess I can use the MM phono input on my Kondo Preamp for one input.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Shane, much of the accuphase line could be described as "gentle and smooth". Would that apply to the phono? I am guessing no, as your equipment suggests a like of a more dynamic sound?

Howie

Hi Howie, correct: the Accuphase is pretty neutral, dynamic with tight bass. It is a pretty clear window and quiet as a tomb. Equally at home with Jazz, electronic and rock.

Quite a nice improvement over my Pass XP-25 I had before.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Seems like the VAC statement phono ticks quite a few boxes with 4 inputs. Anyone have experience with this or with VAC products in general?

Edit: Just found this thread. At 70k it seems a little expensive...

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The pass XS has dedicated gain blocks for each input. Only switched at the output. I hear great things about the EMT if you have the coin.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Seems like the VAC statement phono ticks quite a few boxes with 4 inputs. Anyone have experience with this or with VAC products in general?

$70k is a show stopper for a phonostage. I would love to hear it in my system to see what the extra $40k delivers over my Lamm or Allnic...if in fact it can beat those units.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
$70k is a show stopper for a phonostage. I would love to hear it in my system to see what the extra $40k delivers over my Lamm or Allnic...if in fact it can beat those units.

It is very expensive but then I guess there are 100k preamps that do even less.

Anyone know the EMTJA66 Mk II msrp?

Thanks

howie

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Except you have to manually change the gain, load etc each time you change inputs. I had this with the Pass XP-25. Gets tiring turning knobs every time you change tables/arms if the settings are different.

btw - the VAC phono was released in 2013 @ 50K. Now its 70K LOL - WTF - talk about being well ahead of inflation.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It is very expensive but then I guess there are 100k preamps that do even less.

Anyone know the EMTJA66 Mk II msrp?

Thanks

howie

I once tried a $80,000 phono in my system but didnt sound as organic and involving as a $15,000 Thoress.

The EMT is around €35,000 - €40,000 I think. And you can adjust load and gain seperately for each input.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I talked to Gerhard the designer and owner of Ayon once about the adjustability in phono. He told me that he likes the signal to go straight through as much as possible. The more adjustability the less direct signal path and purity of signal. I think the Lamm also has no adjustability.

Kind regards,
Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I talked to Gerhard the designer and owner of Ayon once about the adjustability in phono. He told me that he likes the signal to go straight through as much as possible. The more adjustability the less direct signal path and purity of signal. I think the Lamm also has no adjustability.

Kind regards,
Tang

Most of the time phono adjustability is just switching resistive and capacitive loads in parallel with the input - it does not affect the "signal path".

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Except you have to manually change the gain, load etc each time you change inputs. I had this with the Pass XP-25. Gets tiring turning knobs every time you change tables/arms if the settings are different.

btw - the VAC phono was released in 2013 @ 50K. Now its 70K LOL - WTF - talk about being well ahead of inflation.

That is a bit of a pain. Anyhow the price kind of rules it out anyway...

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I once tried a $80,000 phono in my system but didnt sound as organic and involving as a $15,000 Thoress.

The EMT is around €35,000 - €40,000 I think. And you can adjust load and gain seperately for each input.

Kind regards,
Tang

The EMT intrigues me. Gotta get to have a listen sometime.

restock

Nov 12, 2016
Toronto, Canada
I do like my Accuphase C-37. 3 inputs for MM or MC with memory and 3 ground posts. 100K loading for MM if you want to try.

Sounds a treat.

I second the Accuphase C37 - real depth, wonderful tonality, textures and details, dynamic. Loading and gain is easily adjustable for each input.

Another choice for multiple inputs is the Cyrus phono ...

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Howie,

The Allnic's have 4 inputs, 2 x MC 2 x MM, and sound is pretty good.. Retail is about 10K here, not sure about HK though. My H3000 uses built in SUT's for MC, alternatively you can use the HA3000 head amp into the MM input's but I have no experience using the H3000 this way though so can't comment on a comparison.

Rgds,
Paul

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie,

The Allnic's have 4 inputs, 2 x MC 2 x MM, and sound is pretty good.. Retail is about 10K here, not sure about HK though. My H3000 uses built in SUT's for MC, alternatively you can use the HA3000 head amp into the MM input's but I have no experience using the H3000 this way though so can't comment on a comparison.

Rgds,
Paul

Thanks Paul. I need to investigate the Allnic sometime. They are included in a list that also includes the CH P1 and EMT JPA66ii.

howie

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am also thinking a convenience of a switch box because I like my Ayon Spheris phono very much. The EMT and Lamm are very tempting though.

Kind regards,
Tang

Hello Tang,

Did you ever find a very high-quality switcher box?

I do agree with MikeL's sonic perfectionist point. So maybe the middle path is to accept a tiny sonic penalty and use an intermediate pair of short and easily accessible interconnects, swapping between or among phono cables on a short interconnect extension, rather than unplugging and plugging directly into the back of the phono stage box?

Last edited:

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I have an EMT JPA66 as well and really like it. Very quiet, super dynamic and just plain good sounds.... I do use an Auditorium Hommage SUT into one of the inputs because I like it’s sound with my SPU’s.

I have been hearing some very good words on the Emia stuff (I think Mike L has one of their SUT’s). I really align with their sensibilities in general though, I think. You might check them out. It almost seems that they Could build you anything you wanted even if it’s not a “stock” model. http://myemia.com/home.html

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing