Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Phono Stages with 3-4 inputs

I talked to Gerhard the designer and owner of Ayon once about the adjustability in phono. He told me that he likes the signal to go straight through as much as possible. The more adjustability the less direct signal path and purity of signal. I think the Lamm also has no adjustability.

Kind regards,
    Tang

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
    It is very expensive but then I guess there are 100k preamps that do even less.

Anyone know the EMTJA66 Mk II msrp?

Thanks

howie
    Just to remember it seems to sell much cheaper in Italy. http://www.afmerate.com/v3/271-emt/
    At last settled around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I talked to Gerhard the designer and owner of Ayon once about the adjustability in phono. He told me that he likes the signal to go straight through as much as possible. The more adjustability the less direct signal path and purity of signal. I think the Lamm also has no adjustability.

Kind regards,
    Tang
    Most of the time phono adjustability is just switching resistive and capacitive loads in parallel with the input - it does not affect the "signal path".
    At last settled around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Except you have to manually change the gain, load etc each time you change inputs. I had this with the Pass XP-25. Gets tiring turning knobs every time you change tables/arms if the settings are different.

btw - the VAC phono was released in 2013 @ 50K. Now its 70K LOL - WTF - talk about being well ahead of inflation.
    That is a bit of a pain. Anyhow the price kind of rules it out anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I once tried a $80,000 phono in my system but didnt sound as organic and involving as a $15,000 Thoress.

The EMT is around 35,000 - 40,000 I think. And you can adjust load and gain seperately for each input.

Kind regards,
    Tang
    The EMT intrigues me. Gotta get to have a listen sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    I do like my Accuphase C-37. 3 inputs for MM or MC with memory and 3 ground posts. 100K loading for MM if you want to try.

Sounds a treat.
    I second the Accuphase C37 - real depth, wonderful tonality, textures and details, dynamic. Loading and gain is easily adjustable for each input.

Another choice for multiple inputs is the Cyrus phono ...
    Accuphase E600, Devore O/96, DPS 2, Schroeder No. 2fw, Allaerts MC1B, Accuphase C37

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Uk Paul's Avatar
    Howie,

The Allnic's have 4 inputs, 2 x MC 2 x MM, and sound is pretty good.. Retail is about 10K here, not sure about HK though. My H3000 uses built in SUT's for MC, alternatively you can use the HA3000 head amp into the MM input's but I have no experience using the H3000 this way though so can't comment on a comparison.

Rgds,
    Paul
    Z:Axis Audio

Balanced Power ~ 'Symetrica' by Z:Axis Audio TT Sony TTS 8000 / SAEC WE-506/30 / Nasotec Swing / Aidas PanzerHolz-Diamond, Allnic H3000 Phono /KR Audio 'Lampi Anniv 5U4G CD Ayon CD transport / Concert Fidelity DAC 040B/D /Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 Pre / ZL200 Amplifiers / Martin Logan Spire - Extensively modified. Cabling is by Z-Axis Audio, Reference mains leads, 'Reference B52' interconnects, 'Livewire' speaker cables. Mirage equipment support.

Quote Originally Posted by Uk Paul View Post
    Howie,

The Allnic's have 4 inputs, 2 x MC 2 x MM, and sound is pretty good.. Retail is about 10K here, not sure about HK though. My H3000 uses built in SUT's for MC, alternatively you can use the HA3000 head amp into the MM input's but I have no experience using the H3000 this way though so can't comment on a comparison.

Rgds,
    Paul
    Thanks Paul. I need to investigate the Allnic sometime. They are included in a list that also includes the CH P1 and EMT JPA66ii.

howie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234