MQA discussion

MQA Truth

Banned
Sep 13, 2017
"Think about it. This is music arriving in your room via the Internet, for a fairly minimal monthly charge—an exponentially increasing body of recordings for playback with sound quality that’s, at the very least, as good as the best present high-resolution digital files. Imagine being told 20 years ago that this was the future of the high end. We all would have been astounded, energized, and maybe even joyous."

bingo. this is the potential.

What does this have to do in any way what so ever with MQA?

Nada. Full 24/192 and DSD streaming is possible with no issues. No lossy pseudo formats, no speical
DACs needed, no special software needed.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
With regards to industry standards, is the industry moving more rapidly towards a downloading/storage standard with priority towards time domain optimization like MQA or towards a multi channel format? Where is MQA in the whole multi channel discussion? And has anyone asked what the consumers really want, or is this more or less decided by the industry and then pushed onto the consumer?

Peter, you just mentioned MQA in the multichannel world. There is an audience for multichannel music, but it is an audio niche. It is similar to what multichannel music is for stereo fans as 3D movies are for 2D fans.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Nada. Full 24/192 and DSD streaming is possible with no issues. No lossy pseudo formats, no speical

Is the recording industry really interested in 24/192 streaming, giving consumers access to all the bits exactly as in their masters?

MQA Truth

Banned
Sep 13, 2017
Is the recording industry really interested in 24/192 streaming, giving consumers access to all the bits exactly as in their masters?

Qobuz in Europe already is doing it. There are several services about to launch in Japan, and Europe.

Spofity is in the process of tooling up for it.

So, uh, yes.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Qobuz in Europe already is doing it. There are several services about to launch in Japan, and Europe.

Spofity is in the process of tooling up for it.

So, uh, yes.

As far as I could see Qobuz hi-rez is mainly 24/96 - the 24/192 is less than 2%. And they charge usd 420 per year.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Tidal is $240/yr and is losing money. Since Qobuz is essentially in receivership, I doubt they could convince their credit managers to let them offer something at a loss.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
What does this have to do in any way what so ever with MQA?

Nada. Full 24/192 and DSD streaming is possible with no issues. No lossy pseudo formats, no speical

No, you don't get it. since most want to stream using a phone, please talk about bandwidth limitations on the go. also, streaming DSD over wifi at home is hardly without incident.

and you absolutely need special equipment to stream DSD at home lol.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
No, you don't get it. since most want to stream using a phone, please talk about bandwidth limitations on the go. also, streaming DSD over wifi at home is hardly without incident.

and you absolutely need special equipment to stream DSD at home lol.
I for one don't see the appeal of hi-res on the go? As small as the market is for hi-res at all, streaming through a cellular connection would seem to be minuscule?

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
From www.audiostream.com:

HDtracks, the grandfather of hi-res download sites, will be launching their own streaming service, HDmusicStream, which will feature all MQA-encoded music all the time, later this year. HDtracks have chosen 7digital to provide app development, host the music catalogue on its platform, and deliver tracks to consumers. Here's Pete Downton, Deputy CEO of 7digital (as reported in StockMarketWire.com):

"We are excited today to be able to confirm our relationship with HDtracks. The Grammy Award-winning label Chesky Records—from HDtracks founders David and Norman Chesky—has, for many years, set the highest standards in high resolution audio. Their pursuit of excellence will soon be available to audiophile music fans in a streaming service for the first time".

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
In either downsampling or upsampling, brickwall filters are employed, particularly so with a 44.1KHz sample rate (22.05kHz Nyqust frequency) system. In the digital domain, brickwall filtering is usually performed with low-pass FIR digital filters. The technical reasons for this are not a simple matter to discuss here. Suffice to say that aliasing would otherwise occur during downsampling, and the image bands need to be cut-off (filtered) for upsampling. The lowest image band of RBCD starts at only 22kHz, so, brickwall filtering is still needed if we're to cut-off 22kHz and above, while leaving 22kHz and below unmolested. The filter performance requirements are, however, much more relaxed via High-Rez.

High-Rez (96kHz and 192kHz) doesn't actually require brickwall filtering to capture the audio band without aliasing, it's just that the commercial ADC and DAC chips typically already feature such filters by default. Custom filtering could instead be employed, but that must be a planned effort by the production engineer. I have always thought that some sort of logo or graphic symbol identifying a High-Rez album as being time-domain optimized, should the production engineer have done so, would be very useful for audiophile consumers. Even should an high-rez album be time-domain optimized, the playback end of the chain (the DAC) would still represent an uncontrolled random element of sorts because there is not an industry standard for a PCM based time-domain optimization, outside of MQA.

Thanks, Ken.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Interesting Alex.
Is it a case of FINALLY saying Rush doesn't suck in digital?

I played the hell out of a cassette of Rush "Hold your fire" in my car back when came out in 1987...I was 16 and life was Goooood.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, so did "Time Stand Still" for you?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, I've had some "fly by night" systems in my house, but "in the end", my final system is "making memories".
Btw, only the truly musically enlightened understand what we're wittering on about

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
As I have posted elsewhere, some of the comments are better reading (and more accurate) than the editorial itself

To be honest the best comments I have read are by Ken Newton on the non subjective aspects of MQA processing.

If we are to summarise the issues

MQA has joined with the major record labels to convert files to MQA
Many streaming sites have begun streaming MQA

MQA Involves reprocessing and filtering both in software, and hardware domain which attempts to preserve time domain information. It gives this precedence over antialiasing and ultimate frequency extension, and enfolds the high frequency data into the LSB of the 24 bits. This is believed to be subjectively below the noise floor, but unproven at this stage.
This system involves some elements of compression. To package it down to lower freq download.
Although this in theory may involve some technical loss of information especially in high frequency dowmain, and precision, and ultimate noise floor, in absolute terms, this as stated above, is sacrificed in return for great time domain accuracy.
The reasons for this engineering decision making appears somewhat unclear, but appears to relate to four competing engineering concerns
1. To be able to easily stream
2. A standard for downloads sites, which eliminates the need for multiple formats
3. A closed system
4. Priority of sound quality as perceived, over ultimate technical specifications in digital domain.

This system, is closed, in that it requires licensing and hardware/ firmware solutions for ultimate performance
A software only un-enfolding appears to give a more limited alleged benefit, over full un-enfolding which currently requires some hardware/firmware modifications.

There are many reports at demonstrations and home listening of improved quality.
There are also reports of more patchy benefit

I am unaware of any direct comparison of hires formats against MQA and would be enlightened of any reports.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I am unaware of any direct comparison of hires formats against MQA and would be enlightened of any reports.

Here a listening test suggested by Gordon Rankin:

"Go to Amazon and buy Rebecca Pigeon's MQA cd. Rip it play it back with something that does not support MQA like iTunes or whatever. Then play it back with Audirvana or something else that supports MQA and the result is 24/176.4 from a 16/44.1 track. Then compare that to maybe the HD Tracks downloads at 24/96, 24/88.2 (I think the closest sounding to the MQA), or Bob Katz version at 24/176.4."

Of course you'll need to borrow a MQA DAC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing