COS Engineering DAC 1

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Ever since I read the review by Srajan Ebaen of the D1 DAC from COS Engineering I am keen to learn more. He certainly waxed lyrical. Is this in the same league as say the TotalDAC or dCS Vivaldi? At $9000 MSRP it seems to want to be there. Hailing from Taiwan, according to Sranan it has many merits both as a DAC and as a preamp.

I searched for it here and didn't find any reference. Since his review was published nearly three years ago, I was perplexed. Hence I began this thread.

Any owners, users, listeners or others with experience of this DAC that wish to share?

DDD8C505-8F7D-4189-BD42-DF41B79276FD-564-0000017C4D9048EA.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The number of things mentioned on 6Moons and MonoAndStereo, never to be seen again.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
My friend has an H1 and I then purchased the D2v DACs. My D2v replaces an EAR Acute. It is a generation superior. The Acute in 2006 was the most analog like, tube output CD player I heard that was affordable. The D2v as a DAC at the same price as the Acute is just superior in all ways. I have not found a footer that it likes better than it's own design. I suspect the really thick aluminum case and design eliminates nearly all vibration, a great thing. It's $5,000 retail. The H1 has a more open/extended highs and slightly punchier bass but is not as beautiful sounding, especially in the mids and tonal density. The H1 comes with a headphone jack. The reasons I didn't buy the D1 was price and the funky volume control lights (too small for me to see far away). The H1 and D2v have great volume controls with large lit numerals for distant remote use and easy resetting. The D1 is said to have the greatest tone density and fleshed out sound. It uses dual linear power supplies (1/channel) while the least expensive H1 at $2,500 uses dual switching power supplies. That's what I read.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing