Battery replacement for preamp

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
Hello dartlovers :D
My actual batteries no longer last 2 hours on bat-mode
So I think is time to replacement
I've been told that Yuasa NP4-12 is the replacement but also i found a photo on internet with SSB SB5-12.
So any recommendations?

Important, Do i need to do to anything special? Or I simply need to unsold -> sold, and that is?

Thanks
Luis

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Luis,

This looks like a perfect opportunity to have your preamp upgraded to the new version, with newer/better batteries (+ other goodies)!
Why don't you contact darTZeel in Geneva and see what can be done?
I wouldn't do anything to the batteries before contacting them anyway...

cheers,
alex

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As far as I remember the Yuasa was the best choice. However remember that the batteries come pre-charged - IMHO they should only be changed by someone with technical knowledge and in the correct order. And you should have an adequate solder to solder to the battery lugs.

Last time I heard about it there was a long waiting line for preamplifier upgrades.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Luis,

Yes, please get in touch with Herve as doing things in the incorrect order can fry the pre amp. Better to leave to a dealer or send back to Dartzeel if you don't feel confident about it.

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
WOA :O
I didn't know that they need to be replaced in a specific order...

Thank you friends !!

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
When I bought the preamp a few months ago I was talking to Hervé and he sent to me all the details of the upgrade, but I thought that the batteries long more than 6-7 months... :D

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
Hi there, I asked Hervé the procedure to replace the batteries, and he kindly sent me a complete pdf
so there is no need to unsold/sold, and no specific order of replacement
only is needed an angled hex wrench to do the job
Althought is "easy" is very very tricky because of the small place of working and you have to put the preamp upside up, upside down, ... and so on... so very care is needed

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I have begun to use the BTM mode on my 18NS for casual listening which produces surprisingly good results even if the sound lacks the bloom when played in battery mode which of course is preferable. However the advantage of the BTM (or AC) mode is that it constantly charges the batteries which are always ready for serious listening. I find that degree of flexibility satisfying especially since the waiting list for the upgrade with its improved batteries is lengthy.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Do you have a part # or battery specifications of the batteries you put in?

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Do you have a part # or battery specifications of the batteries you put in?

Sorry, I don´t have that information but check out "luiscesar"'s post above mine. He has some detailed information about batteries from Hervé and might share the information.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I was able to get in touch with Herve. They are NP4-12 batteries.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I was able to get in touch with Herve. They are NP4-12 batteries.

That NP4-12 battery seems to be squared off in shape while the batteries shown in the 18NS manual photo appears to be round, although it isn't clear.

manjy

Aug 31, 2011

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

manjy

Aug 31, 2011
Thank you!

manjy

Aug 31, 2011
Does anyone have the battery changing procedure?

manjy

Aug 31, 2011
I changed the batteries yesterday. It was pretty easy and took me about 25 minutes. The batteries in my preamp were the right side up.
I did however, accidently press 1 or all of the small black push buttons located behind the front panel. Any idea what they are for? The Preamp works fine though.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing