IEC inlet surgery - is it worth the hassle?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
If it involves any cut or permanent change to the casework IMHO it is a serious issue. BTW, are you addressing the Furutech FI 06 NCF?

Particularly where ones equipment retains the manufacturers warrenty, invariably such a modification rendering said warrenty null and void.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I should put my hand up to being the devil on Marc's shoulder willing him to do this based on my own experiences. Some people may be sceptical about the gains however they go well beyond upgrading a wall socket / outlet to NCF from an existing audiophile model since 99% of equipment uses cheap generic iec sockets.

The NCF FI06 inlets are pretty cheap and have screw terminations, with the only wrinkle being that the chassis aperture needs to be opened up by @2mm on each side to accomodate. The chassis screw spacings are otherwise unchanged.

I repeat my question - if the NCF inlet stays in the outside secured with long screws and cylindrical spacers for experimenting it affects its performance?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Particularly where ones equipment retains the manufacturers warrenty, invariably such a modification rendering said warrenty null and void.

If done properly, the work will be visually almost indistinguishable besides the ncf logo.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
If done properly, the work will be visually almost indistinguishable besides the ncf logo.

I suspect that would still cut no ice with the majority of manufacturer Mark, I have had that conversation with both ARC and Martin Logan.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Not only that, but in the USA it is not legal to nullify a warranty unless the modifications done are responsible for the failure. Since there's no possible way an IEC inlet can cause a failure unless something crazy is done there is no issue with installing an upgraded IEC inlet affecting the warranty.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Not only that, but in the USA it is not legal to nullify a warranty unless the modifications done are responsible for the failure. Since there's no possible way an IEC inlet can cause a failure unless something crazy is done there is no issue with installing an upgraded IEC inlet affecting the warranty.

I suspect that could be the same legislation which relates to modifying cars where the manufacturer would need to prove the mod has caused the warranty claim

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
I suspect that would still cut no ice with the majority of manufacturer Mark, I have had that conversation with both ARC and Martin Logan.

Roger, I guess it depends whether they want to be dicks about it. If the work (and it is a rather simple task, not much more complicated than changing a fuse or tube) is done by the supplying dealer like Marc is doing, then there shouldn't be any cause for complaint.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
I repeat my question - if the NCF inlet stays in the outside secured with long screws and cylindrical spacers for experimenting it affects its performance?

i would imagine that it might impair performance slightly as the inlet would be more prone to vibration though you should still hear a decent improvement. Feel free to experiment and share your experiences as others have done ;-)

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Roger, I guess it depends whether they want to be dicks about it. If the work (and it is a rather simple task, not much more complicated than changing a fuse or tube) is done by the supplying dealer like Marc is doing, then there shouldn't be any cause for complaint.

Mark, in that particular instance Manufacurers rubber stamp and authorised engineer no worries, a swift email to ones manufacturer / Dealer in order to check ones ground would seem prudent, at least to me.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Mark, in that particular instance Manufacurers rubber stamp and authorised engineer no worries, a swift email to ones manufacturer / Dealer in order to check ones ground would seem prudent, at least to me.

Agreed, CYA!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I suspect that could be the same legislation which relates to modifying cars where the manufacturer would need to prove the mod has caused the warranty claim

Yes, mfg'ers can't just deny warranty for any reason, it removes consumer's right to do what they want with what they own.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Yes, mfg'ers can't just deny warranty for any reason, it removes consumer's right to do what they want with what they own.

Sorry! What on earth are you talking about Dave, manufacturers around the globe, and most certainly in the EU, will offer their warrenty upon an item of equipment that they have manufactured to their specification and componant construction alone.

A number of manufacturers would regard warrenty as void were one to merely open the box! let alone start replacing components that they have no duty of care and compliance upon.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm out of warranty, so not relevant in my case, although obviously a consideration otherwise.
This thread is really whether there's a variety of guys on this forum who've gone ahead and done this proceedure and have had an "OMG!" moment.
It's a no brainer that if you're concerned about warranty or risk to resale, you might not risk it.
I'm just experienced in the impvts in sound and how they manifest themselves.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sorry! What on earth are you talking about Dave, manufacturers around the globe, and most certainly in the EU, will offer their warrenty upon an item of equipment that they have manufactured to their specification and componant construction alone. (...) .

Yes, in EU distributors have the task of supporting warranty work and do not authorize people to modify their equipment. Any technical modification or repair carried outside the official distributor circuit or without his permission invalidates the warranty - it is usually clearly written in the papers. Even replacing speakers connectors invalidates warranties.

It is also a question of confidence. I have got a lot of expensive used equipment - a pair of mono amplifiers is arriving - but I would never buy equipment that has been modified. If the owner changed the power connector who knows what else did he modify? :)

Surely if I was posting in the great and enthusiastic diyaudio forum www.diyaudio.com I would say differently ... There I would warn people to be careful with the metal particles produced when enlarging the hole, they can be quite dangerous if they fall in the circuits.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Sorry! What on earth are you talking about Dave, manufacturers around the globe, and most certainly in the EU, will offer their warrenty upon an item of equipment that they have manufactured to their specification and componant construction alone.

A number of manufacturers would regard warrenty as void were one to merely open the box! let alone start replacing components that they have no duty of care and compliance upon.

Absolutely; replacing any part will void your warranty, and most manufacturers would rightly suggest you do not modify. FWIW Marc, I do not think it is worthwhile.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Micro, yes that is a concern, and I've had my fair share of bad luck over the years disabling components accidentally.
No matter how good these Furutech NCF IECs are, I'd rather find one that doesn't require buggering about w the chassis metalwork.
Also, I'm unable to address the Zu sub amps IECs since they are soldered direct to the Lundahl transformers, and part of me thinks if I can't do the whole lot I might not bother at all.
Re warranty concerns, this is less of an issue for me w my gear all being well past expiry of warranty.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

In the US there are laws that do not allow a mfg'er to void a warranty without reasonable evidence the repair or modification caused the warranty issue. It doesn't matter what the mfg'er states or how many seals are applied, laws are laws... I didn't write them!

I have no idea what laws are like in other countries.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Are you saying that the NCF makes changes deep inside the equipment?

My apologies if I over estimated your electronics knowledge; I thought it was fairly in depth.

If they NCF is mounted to the enclosure it can reduce the parasitics between the incoming AC and the enclosure. Basically it can surpress the transfer of RF from the enclosure to power, as the gap between the two in a schematic appears more like a tiny capacitor.

Also the IEC plugs and jacks have funny shapes on top of being the 120v, which exerts a larger field that other stuff can pick up on. Once the wires come off the back of the IEC they can be tightly twisted to surprise those fields.

You cannot get those benefits a few feet away. If the NCF parts are no where near the enclosure then they can only merely burn off a little RF from skin effect.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing