Different opinion in cartridges

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
During these days of holiday i have nothing to do and i listen music and i read many threads of cartridges and is incredible how different are all the opinions.

Who loves Koetsu and who don't like,some prefer Atlas vs Etna and some Etna vs Atlas,Some Madake vs A95 and some A95 vs Madake,some find ZYX open and some dark,
so this mean that all the top cartridge are wonderful and we need only to find the one that match well with our system

But is funny read all the discussion

Regards to everybody

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I like Atlas and Etna SL :)

I agree that what you are buying is a sound philosophy of the manufacturer that ties in with your preferences and system that makes listening to music enjoyable.

no such thing as best anything.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You can't really go wrong with any of the top tier carts. They all sound good. Pick your flavor.

Indeed, often it is differences in presentation/emphasis. Much like really good speakers, they are just a lot smaller and easier to keep and switch between :D

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I wonder if a modern cartridge can sound exceptional on a vintage arm and table like for example the EMT 927 with banana arm.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, the Zyx has sounded great on restored TD 124 (with FR 64s), and the Lenco restorer uses Zyx too. The Schick plinthed commonwealth in Munich used the VDH. I have heard Ortofon a90 on EMT 930. I doubt many would have Neumann anyway.

And SME and FR are both great with zyx and FR also with koetsu

Last edited:
Reactions: ton77

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The other way to look at it Gian is that while all might be equally good none are outstanding :)!
david

During these days of holiday i have nothing to do and i listen music and i read many threads of cartridges and is incredible how different are all the opinions.

Who loves Koetsu and who don't like,some prefer Atlas vs Etna and some Etna vs Atlas,Some Madake vs A95 and some A95 vs Madake,some find ZYX open and some dark,
so this mean that all the top cartridge are wonderful and we need only to find the one that match well with our system

But is funny read all the discussion

Regards to everybody

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I wonder if a modern cartridge can sound exceptional on a vintage arm and table like for example the EMT 927 with banana arm.

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Tango,
You have it backwards. The real question is if you can find a current production tt+arm that compares to the EMT with these cartridges!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tango,
You have it backwards. The real question is if you can find a current production tt+arm that compares to the EMT with these cartridges!

Dear Mr. Karmeli,

As Mr.Bonzo said the Neuman like yours is unobtainum, could you pls suggest me what cart to use if I were to buy an EMT927 that comes with an Ortofon 297.

Kind regards,
Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I will buy a Decca London reference,is not old cartridge but is old Decca system,i think this cartridge is beautiful on dynamic and mid and voices

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I will buy a Decca London reference,is not old cartridge but is old Decca system,i think this cartridge is beautiful on dynamic and mid and voices

I can see why you might like a Decca. Haven't heard the reference. I was a huge Decca fan in the 70s - 90s. Beautiful sound and very alive and " present". Quality control was not the best back then but I think they've got that worked out now.

Let us know how you like it!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Mr. Karmeli,

As Mr.Bonzo said the Neuman like yours is unobtainum, could you pls suggest me what cart to use if I were to buy an EMT927 that comes with an Ortofon 297.

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Tango,

David is fine, we're friends here :). The 297 is a wonderful arm and works with any of the fine cartridges you already own all of those mentioned here. Personally I tried and like everything from EMT TSD/TMD cartridges to various Ortofons starting with the SPU to the McAnna, both TechDas TDC01versions, various Colibris, the Decca that Gian recommended and vintage ones, a few ZYX models including the Universe Premium which is a favorite and many others that I don't recall anymore, I own my 927 for about 25 years. I also use/used many vintage and mm cartridges and had beautiful sound. You're not limited at all by the 297 or the 927 your bottleneck will be with your electronics. What I recommend is to make sure that the arm isn't messed with or wired with silver, change the tracking spring if it hasn't been done and have the connection changed from star to standard SME type. This is so you have more choice of headshells, quality star types are difficult to find and cost too much.

Pin Patterns.jpg

Good luck,

david

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK

Gian,

Like you, I will use London Ref soon, I have an SME Series V especially for this cart, as they are very demanding carts, but get them right and they are incredible. For my SAEC 506 I will install cart for classical LP's, for which I have some choices, as Ked knows, we will talk soon about this. Keep us posted on you LR..

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Khun David,

Thank you very much for your insights and most of all a friendship. You are so very fortunate to be the owner of so many rare spinners.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Khun David,

I forgot to ask. If the 927 comes with the 139st b phono, is it any good or should I just bypass it and use external one?
Sorry for getting off topic Gian.

Kind regards,
Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Khun David,

I forgot to ask. If the 927 comes with the 139st b phono, is it any good or should I just bypass it and use external one?
Sorry for getting off topic Gian.

Kind regards,
Tang

Bypass, nothing special but don't throw away. It's dark and noisy but sometimes it can be nice with some classic jazz for a change.

david

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
@ Tango every off topic is always useful for all of us

@ Paul I am interesting to buy a Saec 506,with new knife made by Torqueo on Torqueo turntable,can you tell me about the sound of this arm or comparison with other tonearms you did?
I never listen this Saec,but told me seems better than Ikea,but i don't know

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@ Tango every off topic is always useful for all of us

@ Paul I am interesting to buy a Saec 506,with new knife made by Torqueo on Torqueo turntable,can you tell me about the sound of this arm or comparison with other tonearms you did?
I never listen this Saec,but told me seems better than Ikea,but i don't know

Hello Gian,
Is Torqueo like Artisan Fedelityof the USA?
Idler or direct drive?

Kind regards.
Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
You can see torque-audio.it
I am ordering one
i know well them,if you need some,good quality and very good price,not crazy like artisan fidelity,
they produce all new with top quality line ergal and special material
see website and if need information you can send message to me

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing