Schiit Yggdrasil DAC and MQA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You basically have no understanding who Peter McGrath is or what he does. Those are his own recordings, he engineered them himself, using recorders he knows intimately. He chose which files were sent to MQA for encoding, and they were already sent in fully realized, mastered form.

O.k. thanks, Alex, for the clarification.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, before we go much further with this thread, can you answer me one question....have you actually heard any MQA files in their fully unfolded state and through a good DAC?

No, I haven't. While optimal MQA may be stellar, I am not sure if what you heard is representative of the average result from the format. Reviews seem to be mixed.

I do not plan to bother with MQA as long as it remains a fringe format -- which it will. I also didn't bother with SACD because I predicted that it would remain a fringe format, which it did. I am glad I didn't put time, money and effort into the format. And in the meantime, plain CD has become so much better than it was at the introduction of SACD that I am seriously wondering how much, from a pure sound quality standpoint, involvement with SACD would have been worth it.

As for being interested in MQA because it brings you much closer to analog: the Yggy also brings me astonishingly close to the life-like realism of analog -- on Redbook CD. While you may reply, "wait until you have heard MQA so that you know what I am talking about", I'd say in return, "wait until you have heard the Yggdrasil DAC so that you know what I am talking about". Unfortunately, we cannot instantly swap each other's experiences.

I have said before here too MQA is damn good, I was blown off when I heard it on the Meridian dac back in Feb or March. However, I did further investigation with two people who had bought the Meridian and then sold it, and one MSB owner/dealer who initially loved the MQA but had gone off it back to listening to PCM.

Apparently the reason was there wasn’t enough MQA music around.

Precisely my point.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I fully agree with you that listening is part of forming an opinion. However we have many reasons be very careful with listening results. No one seems to known anything solid about how files are encoded. I have not seen no serious technical evaluation of MQA results - at less a comparison of an accumulative spectra of the original and the MQA file carried at the analog output of the DAC.

I am an open mind person concerning new techniques. However I do not feel happy at all when my questions remain non-answered, particularly when they involve "correcting the digital signal for ADC faults". It happened with the HPQ and now happens with MQA.

But I appreciate the direct reports of WBF members on MQA sound quality and they triggered my curiosity!

Francisco,

I understand dCS is beta-testing firmware for their DACs with MQA compatibility. You might be able to experience it with a product you're entirely familiar with.

Me, I'm not going into the political or even the technical merits of MQA, but I respect those that want to go there. I just like what I heard, and most importantly, the results are fairly consistent, with digital and analog recordings alike.

BTW I feel I must emphasize this is not like PCM x DSD, where you could make the case for preferring one over the other, as each has their merits/drawbacks. This is a clear cut improvement.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It does if there is no software or firmware option to modifying the particular DAC in question. While there are clearly some 'skeptics' about the value of MQA, I strongly suspect these very same people have NOT had the pleasure of hearing
a MQA demo like the one that Peter put on. Like I said before, go and listen to this format and then let's discuss. Without having this experience all else is simple supposition...and nothing more.

I'm not talking about modifying the DAC, but re-formatting the files using a music server in order to feed the DAC with whatever format it sounds best with. For example lots of people resample PCM to DSD in the server then feed DSD to the DAC.

Currently I have no opinion of MQA, I haven't heard it and opinions seem mixed.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I was very skeptical about MQA for a long time......I have to admit mostly it was my viewpoint toward Bob Stewart and his previous MLP idea. and I have not been a Meridian fan for a long, long time (although I do like his dacs).

but more recently I've changed my mind up to a point. first; I heard the Wilson-Meridian-MQA demo with Peter McGrath at the L.A. Show. then I heard a similarly, if not more, compelling case made at the L.A. Show in the MSB-YG room with the MSB Select II. and now I'm hearing those Tidal MQA files in my own system daily with the MSB Select II dac. so at this point I'd have to say it's got me believing.

but......I've not done any actual A-B direct comparisons with my own files or analog versions. so until I get around to that step my positive view is provisional.

and at this point if MSB has decided MQA is worthy of the effort to include it in the Select II feature set then that speaks very loudly to me that it is legit. my ears tell me that they know their stuff.

and as far as how significant MQA might be in any dac, my perspective would be that it depends on whether your a streamer, a server/file guy, or love silver discs. if you are a streamer (or might become one) then you got to have MQA would be my advice.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am not trying to convert anyone into becoming a MQA acolyte. It is understandble that individuals would like as close to apples to apples A/B comparisons of MQA versus other versions of the same releases. Those comparisons can and have been done yet some individuals challenge the provenance of any files included.

I have made the following comparisons in my set-up.
Tidal MQA version versus the actual CD.
Tidal MQA version versus a CD version that has been stored in Sooloos format.
Tidal MQA version versus a CD version stored on a server I use for Roon content.
Tidal MQA version versus Hi-Rez version stored on both Sooloos and Roon servers.
Purchased MQA version versus Hi-Rez version stored on both Sooloos and Roon servers.

Results:
-I have never heard the streamed or purchased Tidal MQA version sound worse than the CD, Sooloos, or Roon content.
-There are some where the MQA and other 16/44 are too similar to worry about.
-I only have a handful of purchased MQA titles but they compete in the same sandbox as the hi-rez versions I own. Some are better, some the same and some not as good.

Thoughts
-I am looking forward to the promised content from Universal and hopefully Sony, even if it is just comes from streaming.
-Just like my other content there are titles I wish to own. I would like a lot more MQA offerings available for purchase.
-I am considering options for a new DAC. I will only consider those that are MQA capable.
-I wouldn't suggest anyone else go and swap out their current DAC for a MQA capable unit unless more content (new releases and old stuff) is released. If you "need" a new DAC that is a different story.
-If streaming(at least CD quality) isn't something you are considering, don't worry about MQA.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
and at this point if MSB has decided MQA is worthy of the effort to include it in the Select II feature set then that speaks very loudly to me that it is legit. my ears tell me that they know their stuff.

MQA has even been a part of the entry-level, Analog Dac USB module upgrade for almost a year.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
No, I haven't. While optimal MQA may be stellar, I am not sure if what you heard is representative of the average result from the format. Reviews seem to be mixed.

I do not plan to bother with MQA as long as it remains a fringe format -- which it will. I also didn't bother with SACD because I predicted that it would remain a fringe format, which it did. I am glad I didn't put time, money and effort into the format. And in the meantime, plain CD has become so much better than it was at the introduction of SACD that I am seriously wondering how much, from a pure sound quality standpoint, involvement with SACD would have been worth it.

As for being interested in MQA because it brings you much closer to analog: the Yggy also brings me astonishingly close to the life-like realism of analog -- on Redbook CD. While you may reply, "wait until you have heard MQA so that you know what I am talking about", I'd say in return, "wait until you have heard the Yggdrasil DAC so that you know what I am talking about". Unfortunately, we cannot instantly swap each other's experiences.

Precisely my point.

Surely Peter recordings are the optimal scenario for MQA as the recording process is fully known for MQA encoding

JA had trouble picking the difference on some MQA recordings when he blind tested himself

It would seem to me that it is nice to have as an added extra, but you wouldn't discount a dac that didn't have it

The Ygg seems to be optimised for redbook given its dac architecture and all feedback seems to agree with this

I cannot see what great advantage the Ygg would have from MQA as it truncates the last 4 lsb from 24 bit files, and produces artifacts

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The Yggy seems to be optimised for redbook given its dac architecture and all feedback seems to agree with this

This seems to be the case, yes.

I cannot see what great advantage the Ygg would have from MQA as it truncates the last 4 lsb from 24 bit files, and produces artifacts

John Atkinson (Stereophile) seems to be wrong on this. Here is Mike Moffat (Baldr):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...multibit-is-here.782824/page-33#post-11988106

In Yggy, Gumby, and Bimby all trailing bits are rounded at 20, 18, and 16 bits respectively - not truncated which introduces errors.

MQA may 'only' have a resolution of 17 bits:

HighResAudio to stop offering MQA

"From the HighResAudio Press Release:

HIGHRESAUDIO has stopped offering MQA. MQA is NOT lossless, the original signal is never recovered, estimate to recover at most 17bits (reduces the sampling rate), reduces the frequency range, SNR reduced by 3bit, aliasing with artifacts at 18kHz. MQA encoding filters manipulates drastically the original source. No analysis tools are available to verify the encoded MQA content. Therefore no quality control is possible. highresaudio.com stands for offering purity, original mastering source, none manipulated, tweaked or up-sampled content and codecs that are widely supported and offer use of freedom."

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco,

I understand dCS is beta-testing firmware for their DACs with MQA compatibility. You might be able to experience it with a product you're entirely familiar with. (...)

Yes, the official words are:

dCS FAQ: Are you planning to support MQA?
dCS is currently working to add MQA support to Rossini, Vivaldi, Network Bridge and future dCS products. This is scheduled for late summer 2017. This is planned to be a software-only solution, which will be offered free to original registered owners.

David Wilson owns a dCS Vivaldi stack - perhaps he has been listening to Peter McGrath MQA tapes in the Wamm's using the beta version!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Surely Peter recordings are the optimal scenario for MQA as the recording process is fully known for MQA encoding

Good point. For many recordings this will not be the case.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
This seems to be the case, yes.

John Atkinson (Stereophile) seems to be wrong on this. Here is Mike Moffat (Baldr):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...multibit-is-here.782824/page-33#post-11988106

MQA may 'only' have a resolution of 17 bits:

HighResAudio to stop offering MQA

"From the HighResAudio Press Release:

HIGHRESAUDIO has stopped offering MQA. MQA is NOT lossless, the original signal is never recovered, estimate to recover at most 17bits (reduces the sampling rate), reduces the frequency range, SNR reduced by 3bit, aliasing with artifacts at 18kHz. MQA encoding filters manipulates drastically the original source. No analysis tools are available to verify the encoded MQA content. Therefore no quality control is possible. highresaudio.com stands for offering purity, original mastering source, none manipulated, tweaked or up-sampled content and codecs that are widely supported and offer use of freedom."

Interesting post Al. I've only heard a MQA comparison once at a friends house. I think there was a difference but it was a small one. The DAC was just a low end Meridian though. MQA is not a high priority for me at the moment.

Not a big fan of most DSD files either. The only DSD files I have liked were ones I knew the provenance of. If actually recorded originally by a good DSD ADC then they are great. If not then they usually suck. Problem is most DSD files are the latter type.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Not a big fan of most DSD files either. The only DSD files I have liked were ones I knew the provenance of. If actually recorded originally by a good DSD ADC then they are great. If not then they usually suck. Problem is most DSD files are the latter type.

And to be true DSD, they need to not just be recorded by a good DSD ADC, but also there must be no DXD step (PCM) that is required for usual mixing/mastering. Yet PCM mixing is done for most DSD releases, causing there to be very few pure DSD recordings, see:

https://www.grimmaudio.com/site/assets/files/1088/dsd_myth.pdf

http://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/dsd-vs-pcm-myth-vs-truth/

Or one can follow this best practice (quoted from the first link by Grimm Audio):

"Mix everything on an analogue desk, record the result digitally using a native 64 fs DSD converter (like Grimm Audio’s AD1). Don’t change any levels or other properties of the audio, except some crossfades where necessary, using special software that leaves the rest of the audio untouched (see above). The end result will be 99% pure DSD. Almost no one does that, Channel Classics may well be the only one in the trade. We should admire them for this and encourage them to issue their beautiful recordings in 64 fs for many years to come. And believe it or not, if they were to convert these recordings to 128 fs this would deteriorate the audio quality." (End quote.)

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The Yggy is a fine tuned product for a focused group. If I were in the market I would buy one.

Not interested in MQA for the obvious reasons. Currently satisfied with my Ayre C5xe MP. The MP filter was a nice update.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
All I can say that utilizing the MDB DAC that the MQA files were a very easily heard upgrade over the standard file of the same music. One thing that is possibly a factor is that as the DAC increases in resolution then MQA increases the difference even more.
The demo that Peter put on was clearly heard and by the whole audience. It certainly was something that I believe even a neophyte listener could easily pick up on....it made that much of a difference!
BTW, my current old DAC has the ability to decode HDCD, which I always feel sounds better than the standard red book.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The Yggy is a fine tuned product for a focused group. If I were in the market I would buy one.

Not interested in MQA for the obvious reasons. Currently satisfied with my Ayre C5xe MP. The MP filter was a nice update.

I strongly suspect that the "obvious reasons" won't be so obvious in the very near future!

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I strongly suspect that the "obvious reasons" won't be so obvious in the very near future!

As soon as my Aesthetix Io Signature needs to decode MQA vinyl I'll give it serious consideration. So far RIAA has been working for 90% of my listening.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

You mean if there will be much more titles? Ain't gonna happen. They said the same thing about SACD too, and it didn't happen. And unlike MQA, SACD had a behemoth marketing machinery in the form of Sony Corporation behind it, which also had put multiple millions into the development of the format and was highly interested in its success.

MQA will go the usual path of fringe formats: nowhere.

Just like HDCD went nowhere either. There were never more than a few thousand titles available:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Definition_Compatible_Digital

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
You mean if there will be much more titles? Ain't gonna happen. They said the same thing about SACD too, and it didn't happen. And unlike MQA, SACD had a behemoth marketing machinery in the form of Sony Corporation behind it, which also had put multiple millions into the development of the format and was highly interested in its success.

Just like HDCD went nowhere either. There were never more than a few thousand titles available:

If that is the case, I believe that would be a shame. SACD was good sounding and deserved to be more exposed, IMHO. Same is true with MQA, problem is that all of these formats do appeal to a small segment...the a'phile listener. Wide spread appeal to the masses is NOT where any high end product is at right now...or probably ever!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Just because SACD was a bust, doesn't mean MQA will be. You have to understand distribution has changed in 2017. The ask isn't buying all your favorite music on pricey physical media anymore (which originally couldn't be played on a normal CDP). It's clicking a button on my phone that's included with my streaming package. Apple, Spotify, etc. are all trying to do this as well.

Tidal + Roon is the most transformative digital experience on the planet. You just have no idea because you are clinging to old distribution. Do you realize people in their 20s have *zero* digital physical media? The #1 exciting thing about MQA is being able to stream hi rez music at some point. You are missing the big picture.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing