The Sound of Gold

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
I have been impressed with the sonic quality of gold in the signal path, and wanted to gather other opinions. Various metals have vary distinct sonic attributes, whether gold, silver, copper, brass, or platinum. While it is difficult to absolutely generalize due to cable building techniques, there are some common themes.

When gold is implemented correctly, it has a tube-like quality. Rich harmonics, warm hues, depth, texture, and realistic decay. It can even have a paradoxical increase in detail. The upper and lower extension is not there, especially compared to silver. But when combined with white metals in the correct proportion, a synergistic balance can be realized across the entire spectrum.

rhyno

Dec 29, 2010
agree completely. trouble with gold is that its pricey! best way i know of to get benefits at reasonable cost is to use gold alloys (mundorf makes a killer gold + silver wire).
i also found the only Bybee devices i'd allow to touch the signal are the Bybee Gold models...which are also used in jorma cables IIRC

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I only use Siltech cables all over my system, some have more gold than others since I use FTM 4 gold, G6 and SG series at different sections of the audio /system chain.

I have not tried them all (who has? :) ) but I have arrived to the conclusion that gold in the Siltech line is a major component on that particular coloration (all cables equalize in some way) that I find enjoyable.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My only experience with gold wire is with my comparison between 2 ZYX Airy Models, the Gold and the Silver. I preferred the Silver finding the Gold too laid back.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I diy cables include tonearm interconnect speaker and power, I did try 3N 4N 5N+3% gold in silver, I picked 4N for tonearm, for interconnect I prefer the alloy from Tala Lab,in speaker I picked 4N silver too but silver plated Telfon also quite good (14 awg or bigger) same thing to power cord and the construction of cable also very important
tony ma

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
A friend who owns an audiophile label and has tried everything really likes the Crystal Cables which are a gold-silver alloy. I am looking to try some soon.

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
I really like Gabriel Gold interconnects which use some gold wire in addition to other metals. Gold only, is generally been found to sound soft or dark or too laid back, etc.

At the Audio Show in newport beach (June 3-6), I heard the Luxman components with Crystal Cable connections(cables). That was very good and one of the top 3 best sounding systems there. I did not hear the softening of bass, and shrill upper range that I have heard with pure silver cables.

With that said, an all gold interconnect may be just what is needed. Teresonic, and KCI have received excellent feedback from some Audiophiles.

Last edited:

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Silkworms: $1400 the first meter and $429 a half meter thereafter. Would only run about 50 K to wire my system.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A friend who owns an audiophile label and has tried everything really likes the Crystal Cables which are a gold-silver alloy. I am looking to try some soon.

I am just starting to listen to some Crystal Dreamline speaker and interconnect cables. They sound promising, but it is still too early to have an opinion. One think is sure - they have a full and articulated sound, plenty of detail. Can I ask you what is your friend's system?

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
Silkworms: $1400 the first meter and $429 a half meter thereafter. Would only run about 50 K to wire my system.

No need to wire your whole system with gold cables. It would probably sound worse. One or two cables should do the trick. If one or two don't improve the sound significantly, then DO NOT buy them. This goes for any cable line.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing