Porsche 911 R on the way

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There is nothing like the kick in the butt you get from a manual transmission. Where the paddles excel is maintaining the revs between shifts.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
There is nothing like the kick in the butt you get from a manual transmission. Where the paddles excel is maintaining the revs between shifts.

This is where driver skill comes into play. ;)

I can pretty much unconsciously shift my STi while perfectly rev-matching, but with 4.11 gearing you get A LOT of practice!

Congrats on the 911R! I'm sure it'll be an amazing drive. The last 911 I drove was a 930 turbo cabriolet slantnose about 20 years ago. Fun car, unfortunately I can't find anyone who wants to give me their GT3 for a joy ride... weird, huh? :)

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
My new car should arrive in about two weeks. Currently driving a 991 15 GTS PDK which may be the best performance/$$$ tradeoff in. The lineup. Great for driving around town or taking the long way home. The PDK is great and the PDK+ in GT3/RS even better. But I miss the The connection and focus I get from working through the gearbox without the electronics in between and using both feet to drive. I truly miss my 07 C4S and 12 AM V12 vantage. Both 6 speeds. The Porsche is a better drivers car providing lots of feedback and response while the Aston was beautiful, it was more a touring car and had more power than its suspension could handle. So the opportunity to have the Porsche with a RS engine, lightweight parts and six speed set up for road driving was too much to pass up. Given weather here I will get second set of GT wheels with Michelin Pilot rubber for the wet/cold months and use the Cups when it's warmer. Will post pics once here and my guys at Benchmark have taken care of her. DD is wrangler unlimited - great around town but severely lacking in acceleration. Needless to say I drive the two cars very differently...but enjoy both. Prior to Jeep I drove Cayenne turbo, MB G55 and BMW X5 M. I like the jeep best

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The only real trouble with Porsche manuals is the stiffness in the clutch mech, done for fast return of the peddle, I suspect. The problem is that they really are stiff, requiring considerable down force. This makes the manuals very tough to enjoy when used for long periods in city traffic. Your gear changing leg really feels the strain.

There's no denying manuals are more involving, though. You just feel like you have more control of the car. And that's because you do.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Having owned 5 Porsches (well, actually, 4.5 since the first was a 944 :D), it is the ONLY automobile that I ever owned that made driving fun, exciting, challenging, and just a plain ol' good time. Nothing of the class of the 911R car, certainly, but even the basic 911 of it's day (80's and 90's)was awesome. And as for being a manual transmission, I would never have owned a Porsche had they been anything but. Running through the gears is what allowed me to actually "drive the car".

Congrats on your new car. I can't not imagine what it would be like to have that kind of performance, handling and raw power in my hands.

Enjoy!! Life is very short !!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yup - agreed audioguy. Porsche understand the meaning of the word "fun". Though the more recent turbos are arguably less so especially in the case of the 718 Boxster/Caiman flat 4 turbos. Where once there was a flat 6 naturally aspirated in their place. That means less enjoyable sonics, and many reviewers have stated such. I think so too, have driven them on race tracks. Bit more power and fuel efficiency, though, for the turbos.

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
All the paperwork and funding complete. The car will arrive the Tuesday after Labor Day. I will post pictures after it's cleaned up

It's all a little serendipitous, I turned 50 this year and to celebrate I now have the Rolex seadweller SD43 which marks the 50th anniversary of the seadweller (one of my favorite watches and I have four versions of it now) and the 991 911 R which marks the 50th of the original 911R from 1967.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
All the paperwork and funding complete. The car will arrive the Tuesday after Labor Day. I will post pictures after it's cleaned up

It's all a little serendipitous, I turned 50 this year and to celebrate I now have the Rolex seadweller SD43 which marks the 50th anniversary of the seadweller (one of my favorite watches and I have four versions of it now) and the 991 911 R which marks the 50th of the original 911R from 1967.

Happy Birthday! Tuesday is also one of my younger brother's birthday, Frankie. He'll turn 59, just few years older than 50, and a year younger than 60.
I agree with you; cars have something special with our birthdays, and the year we had our first one.
You seem to be on a good slope, that special slope. ...Slope as in a great ride from a ski hill. ...1967, that's a good year.

Who is Mary Smith? It is you. :b

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Weird, keep it going, make everything 50 that week.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
proper heel/toe rev matching when downshifting is an art....taken for granted with paddle shift cars.

+1....nothing quite like nailing a downshift with a perfectly rev matched engage...hit the apex..then punch the torque....

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
The only real trouble with Porsche manuals is the stiffness in the clutch mech, done for fast return of the peddle, I suspect. The problem is that they really are stiff, requiring considerable down force. This makes the manuals very tough to enjoy when used for long periods in city traffic. Your gear changing leg really feels the strain..

hear that ...used to use a 7.1 GT3 as a daily in Houston...now that was ..ahh a misuse of a tool :rolleyes:

but standard clutch in prior 6.2 C4S was easy...so much so that when switching back to it from the GT3...almost put the clutch peddle through the firewall

now have one PDK...and one manual....horses for courses

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Porsche 911 was always a flawed design! A souped -up VW. A strong tendency for the rear end to come around. Still a magnificent vehicle that has done well in stock car racing.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Maybe I understated the Porshe 911 series. They have dominated their class in stock racing.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
+1....nothing quite like nailing a downshift with a perfectly rev matched engage...hit the apex..then punch the torque....

Nothing like the burble of a paddle downshift in a tunnel driving an AMG!!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Nothing like the burble of a paddle downshift in a tunnel driving an AMG!!

I just destroyed a CLA 450 AMG that tried to taunt me into a race, wasn't even close... only up to ~55 mph though. I have a full Ti exhaust system that makes some beautiful noises when rev matching.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
AWD... sure has merit off the line. Although it has been banned for a lot of official racing because when the cars do break free they launch straight up into the air, flying out of the track, hitting parked cars, bleachers, billboards, etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing