Porsche 911 R on the way

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
You could also have your calipers redone to match the green stripes. I never understood why Porsche didn't offer color options for their steel and pccb brake offerings.

Rockitman. I have a friend with an F12 and we plan to do some drives together. Seems like you are enjoying your ride after moving over to the dark side

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Rockitman. I have a friend with an F12 and we plan to do some drives together. Seems like you are enjoying your ride after moving over to the dark side

something addicting about the sound, feel, brand ;) If I had room, I would have a GT3..too. I would prefer driving a Porsche on the track. Care and feeding is much more reasonable. The F12 is a under steer heavy weight on the track. I have yet to try my much more nimble 458. With a helmet on, I can barely move my head...lol. Porsche has better headroom for people like me...6'7".

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
My own problem with 911 ownership in the UK is that there is nowhere to drive the car. I wonder if it is better to have a boring car and a track day car?
I need think the current 911 cars are lovely - I have the 997 shape - some claim that the 991 cars lack the feel of the 997 but I don't buy it - I tried the 991 and thought it did everything my car did but had simply taken the game forward.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My own problem with 911 ownership in the UK is that there is nowhere to drive the car. I wonder if it is better to have a boring car and a track day car?
I need think the current 911 cars are lovely - I have the 997 shape - some claim that the 991 cars lack the feel of the 997 but I don't buy it - I tried the 991 and thought it did everything my car did but had simply taken the game forward.

Someone should tell all the jerks in London driving around revving Lambos that there is no where to drive them, before they buy.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Not a single person on the planet is better / faster than paddle shift. Lost interest in gated shift many years ago. (edit i just realized i was reacting to a three year old post, nice stable!)

Congratulations however on the new acquisition, enjoy!

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Not a single person on the planet is better / faster than paddle shift. Lost interest in gated shift many years ago. (edit i just realized i was reacting to a three year old post, nice stable!)

hah....I resurrected the old post to update. I don’t disagree on PDK or better yet PDK S. If I tracked regularly the 2/3 RS or dedicated track car is faster. I drive through the cascades in PNW or down in CA desert. Actually like the drive taking a little longer. Cheers

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Unless you're being paid to win races...

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Unless you're being paid to win races...
Nobody can make a shift in 20 milliseconds even one time, let alone for the duration of a race. Both hands on the wheel is better than one. Could you imagine an F1 driver pumping a clutch and shifting as much as they do in a race. NASCAR, for now, is still manual shift but all the tracks except two are designed for no shifting once you get to speed. NASCAR finally is going to central wheel lock rather that 5 lug nuts per wheel.

Old school

new school

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Oh you're a professional race car driver that makes his income based on performance? :rolleyes:

No one would buy a Porche if they wanted lap times anyways, they'd just get an ACR so they could watch the Porche's east their dust.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Oh you're a professional race car driver that makes his income based on performance? :rolleyes:

No one would buy a Porche if they wanted lap times anyways, they'd just get an ACR so they could watch the Porche's east their dust.
Not denying the rawness of it or the fun of it but all things being equal the paddle shift is going to win the race.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Absolutely stunning. Enjoy!!!!

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
NASCAR, for now, is still manual shift but all the tracks except two are designed for no shifting once you get to speed.

I can think of at least three .............Sonoma, Watkins Glen and Pocono. Which 'two' were you referring to ?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I can think of at least three .............Sonoma, Watkins Glen and Pocono. Which 'two' were you referring to ?
Sonoma and Watkins Glen, they made transmission and rear gear changes so they no longer shift at Pocono once up to speed.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Nobody can make a shift in 20 milliseconds even one time, let alone for the duration of a race. Both hands on the wheel is better than one. Could you imagine an F1 driver pumping a clutch and shifting as much as they do in a race. NASCAR, for now, is still manual shift but all the tracks except two are designed for no shifting once you get to speed. NASCAR finally is going to central wheel lock rather that 5 lug nuts per wheel.

Old school

new school

I agree, if you're a F1 driver or being paid to win races, you want an auto, but if not then just go with what you like to drive, nobody cares what your lap times are.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Sonoma and Watkins Glen, they made transmission and rear gear changes so they no longer shift at Pocono once up to speed.

so they eliminated the overdrive transmission ? shows you how much I've paid attention to NASCAR as of late.........

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
so they eliminated the overdrive transmission ? shows you how much I've paid attention to NASCAR as of late.........
Watch my old school / new school videos above at the same track. Good old heal toe versus the new crash boxes were they dont even use the clutch other than to get going. Electronic shift is inevitable in the not to distant future. I believe NASCAR is headed to big bodied Indy cars if you will.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing