Porsche 911 R on the way

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Wow..you are truly an uber Porsche fan willing to pay the premium for that rare German beast...unless you got a dealer allocation ? Congrats and Drive her in good health ! Pics ?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Nice.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Really... OK now I think the GT3 is a cool car.

It's not like any of us would be buying a Porsche to actually race it, so in my mind the stick adds an immense pleasure factor... so does the fine quality of Porsche. You can buy a faster, more high performance car, for less money, but if you are not truly going to enjoy it what's the point?

IMO the days of being the fastest thing on the street died a long time ago. Street racing was cool before everyone could buy turbos, superchargers, and a gazillion different things. It was cool when the grinding job on the valves was the edge for competition. Go for what you personally enjoy the feeling of, not numbers.

Anyways, congrats on pulling the trigger. I live on the East side of our state but maybe if I'm on the other side I'll get to see your sweet ride at a meet or such.

Last edited:

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Very nice car indeed.... The want is real.
(Street racing in germany--- its legal ! Atleast on the deristriced Autobahn)
But my dreamcar for all time will be the Porsche 917-30. For the street I'll gladly take a 964 Turbo S Leichtbau

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You pic doesn't show the real significant parts....stick shift and a 3rd pedal....;)

You obviously don't live in San Francisco ;). You can go through several clutches each year being stopped on the upslope of one of the large hills with an 18 wheeler in front of you as you're riding the clutch to keep your car from stalling

Don't get me wrong Christian as I have driven a 2 seater most of my life and all were stick shift until I lived in the SF Bay area when those very things occur that I postulated above. For me stick shift is a thing of the past as I still visit the Bay area often.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Stick shifters and clutch riders are for race track drivers on a horizontal track. ...Or on a country side sports roads with many curves.
Where I live, the Malahat highway with all the repairs for the next couple years, and the long steep hill; keep safe, get rid of clutches, and make sure the AC is working solid.
Big trucks are the norm, and you can stall solid for a long time, or @ a turtle pace, like yesterday coming back from the dentist.

But yes, when I lived in the Okanagan, Paradise Ranch, and driving to town...Penticton; MGB sports convertible with stick shifter and clutch pedal to the floor.
...Lots of curves with gorgeous views; fun driving.
In town, Victoria on Vancouver Island, clutches are ok. Lots of sports cars, some real nice ones, all colors, no roofs, nice people who love shifting and clutching.
Insurances are expensive, second most expensive in all Canada, and speed tickets are expensive too.

So, it all depends; where we live, working or vacationing or retiring, lifestyle, taste, no limits.
Driving is like listening to stereo; you ride high above like sliding on the surface/cruising, or you tilt to the max., grabbing the road with physical bite...making contact.

Hey, what's best? ...Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 - 3D/4K Blu-ray full throttle.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Your missing the point Steve. In Porsche land, stick is everything to the Porsche purist. I don't think 911R 's are being bought for daily driving...so clutch wear is a non issue.;)

You obviously don't live in San Francisco ;). You can go through several clutches each year being stopped on the upslope of one of the large hills with an 18 wheeler in front of you as you're riding the clutch to keep your car from stalling

Don't get me wrong Christian as I have driven a 2 seater most of my life and all were stick shift until I lived in the SF Bay area when those very things occur that I postulated above. For me stick shift is a thing of the past as I still visit the Bay area often.

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
congrats, the ultimate 911 for sure.

did you consider the new GT3?

if not, why was the 911R more to your liking?

I plan to drive it on weekends-heading out east over the cascades or down south. I do have GT3.2 allocation which was going to be manual and the rumored "touring edition" which takes off the wing. Then this opportunity presented itself. I think both are great cars...the R will always be special....lightweight bits, SMFW and the peptia seats. I am not buying as an investment and to be honest I have spent more on audio and boats over last few years....and they depreciate more the the R will. It is a drivers car and I plan to enjoy driving it

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I don't know.... I used to be a diehard stick/clutch person until I got my taste of paddle shifters. Still like my clutch on the motorcycle (though my Can-am is an auto) but give me PDK any day!!

Congrats on the new ride. You'll definitely have to upload pics.

Don't forget to go to the Porsche Driving Academy!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I don't know.... I used to be a diehard stick/clutch person until I got my taste of paddle shifters. Still like my clutch on the motorcycle (though my Can-am is an auto) but give me PDK any day!!
!

One needs both. The biggest mistake I ever made was getting rid of my 2004 911 GT3. Some days it's nice to get a more mechanical connection with the car shifting slower via 3 pedals and a stick versus dual clutch lightning paddle shifters. :D

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I plan to drive it on weekends-heading out east over the cascades or down south. I do have GT3.2 allocation which was going to be manual and the rumored "touring edition" which takes off the wing. Then this opportunity presented itself. I think both are great cars...the R will always be special....lightweight bits, SMFW and the peptia seats. I am not buying as an investment and to be honest I have spent more on audio and boats over last few years....and they depreciate more the the R will. It is a drivers car and I plan to enjoy driving it

regarding driving Porsche's east and south.......early yesterday morning I had intended to drive down to the 'totality zone' in Oregon for the Eclipse; but I was too tired after getting back from fishing late. so; instead my wife and I took the 991 CS2 to Mt. Rainier. Between the Eclipse and Chinook Pass being closed by a fire there was little traffic, so what little traffic there was allowed me plenty of space for safe passing of slower vehicles, and so I did let the big dog (not as big as your big dog) eat. even in the park I let myself step it up a bit and it's a great road for a car like that.

the mountain was in full glory, had a great hike, and the car was delightful.

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
regarding driving Porsche's east and south.......early yesterday morning I had intended to drive down to the 'totality zone' in Oregon for the Eclipse; but I was too tired after getting back from fishing late. so; instead my wife and I took the 991 CS2 to Mt. Rainier. Between the Eclipse and Chinook Pass being closed by a fire there was little traffic, so what little traffic there was allowed me plenty of space for safe passing of slower vehicles, and so I did let the big dog (not as big as your big dog) eat. even in the park I let myself step it up a bit and it's a great road for a car like that.
the mountain was in full glory, had a great hike, and the car was delightful.

Sounds like a good day

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Lovely car and one of a dying breed (high revving NASP manual) - enjoy those special days when you can wring it out through the gears!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing