Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zero Distortion: Dohmann Helix 1 with Schroeder CB + MSL, Kuzma 4p + GFS, TAD Ref One, VTL, MSB

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries

Zero Distortion: Dohmann Helix 1 with Schroeder CB + MSL, Kuzma 4p + GFS, TAD Ref One, VTL, MSB

http://zero-distortion.org/dohmann-h...ger-statement/

These notes will highlight differences heard that day between

• VTL Siegfried and MSB 204 through both digital and analog on the TAD reference
    • Ayon SACD player and Meridian CD player
    • Schroeder CB (Captive Bearing) Carbon Fibre arm + My Sonic Labs , and the Kuzma 4p 11 + Clearaudio GFS on the $40k Dohmann Helix 1 (made by Mark Dohmann, designer of the Continuum Caliburn and Copperhead tonearm) played through a Thrax Orpheus phono. This was done using both the VTL and the MSB amps. This was the key objective of my trip
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Ked, I know you hate making judgements if you haven't compared gear side by side, or if the contrast is at different times in different systems.
    But if you had the cash for either, would this Dohmann get the vote over the PTP, or vice versa?
    I ask because it looks like this Helix maybe has a less overt belt quality than many others, encapsulated in yr comments that it's a very neutral, rock solid performer, and of course the PTP is as far from belt as you can get.

Blog Entries
    Hi Marc, I think PTP can compete with most things in bass, drive, and dynamics, and throw a larger soundstage than most. I doubt it will have the resolution, and be as linear, low noise, and as transparent as the Dohmann. Of course if one’s system is not transparent or low noise, the difference will matter less. Mike’s system is a good example, you first move to the TT, and it seems to do nothing. Then you switch over to the higher Durand model with the GFS, and everything just gets better by a mammoth margin.

The good thing about analog is many times you can walk away satisfied with the lower cost product even if it comes second in a compare.

When I get the PTP I will circulate it to people with Kuzma XL4, Prometheus, and Schopper TD 124, so will have a better idea.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Ha Ked, as you know my system is not the last word in low noise (slightly growly NAT 211s and ElectroHarmonix') or transparency (Zus).
    However room acoustics, dedicated lines and balanced power, and now cutting edge Stacore isoln, are all taking my sound past dramatically thru its previous bottlenecks and law of diminishing returns.
    But yes, my system will never be a ruthlessly revealing, ruler flat linear Soulution/Magico type sound, or even a jump out of yr seat D'Agostino/Wilson one.
    Hence its probably better suited to a more driven, expansive presentation like the PTP rather than eeking out detail and cooler presentation like Dohmann.
    Most critically, I'll be running the Stacore platform under my tt, and hence the Dohmann w it's integrated Minus K isoln would be incompatible w it.
    Sounds like an interesting tt nonetheless.

I would like to know why Dohmann did not choose the Schroeder linear tracking tonearm to be sold with his turntable? Surely that would bring the table up a notch or two.
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Blog Entries
    Is that the Schroeder LT that often went with the kodo

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Is that the Schroeder LT that often went with the kodo

Yes. J French has one on his Monaco DD table as well as a few others users around I know of.
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

John has swapped out his Schroeder LT for a Spiral Groove Centroid.
    Most fascinating thing about the Helix is the integrated Minus K isoln platform, I believe the Vertere uses the same, rebadged.
    I'm about to install my tt on a Stacore platform.
    I wonder if more top tt designers are going to wake up to the benefits of this approach?

Addicted to Best!
    Kuzma have woken up and rebadged one also...

Yep, a rebadged Herzan
    And repriced from 8k to 12k
    😳😓

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast