System/Room revamp

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Hello WBF members,

My music room had become a bit tired requiring some redecoration and the system had grown over the years into a sprawling giant with tentacles of power cables and such extending left right and centre.

The system was initially set up on a large glass table-top supported by Aurios Pro Max roller bearings with individual components isolated further using a variety of footers. The addition of the SGM 2015 server necessitated an additional plinth in front of the table top and now the whole system was 3 metres into the room from the front wall.

I took the decision to completely reorganise the room including replacing two old windows with double glazed units, therefore keeping the neighbours barbecue noise, barking dogs and clattering kitchen noise out and my music from escaping. I live in a Victorian terraced house in London and outside noise is always a problem, or was.

My idea to place all the audio components on a stand, more for convenience rather than sound quality, led me to investigate numerous manufacturers but many were prohibitively expensive and a few looked decidedly Hi Tech whilst others looked like workbenches and most too small, in that I would require two stands to accommodate my amps. Luckily I came across a Polish manufacturer, Rogoz, who had a stand large enough to take my DIY mono-block tube amps and offered a choice of finishes and custom sizing all at an acceptable price point.
With a few phone calls to the UK distributor, Gpoint audio, I secured a stand, slightly customised, with equal shelf spacing and white gloss shelves with satin black supports and of sufficient top shelf area to take both power amps.

Now, I thought, what other changes could I make to the system/room whilst everything was dismantled and stored in a spare bedroom? Once you start taking your system apart it is amazing how much 'stuff' you accumulate, from all the various cables to endless anti vibration supports and plug in 'doodahs'. My plan started to formulate in my audio addicted brain.

The Avantgarde Duo Omega had simply stood on some BDR cones on carpet which were intended to be temporary when installed 7 years ago. I'd surmised that spiking the Duos to the suspended floorboards, my music room is a bedroom on the 1st floor, would induce vibration into the floor and create a sounding board.
Searching around and having had success with Herbie's Audio Lab products I chose some large threaded gliders for the Duos and non threaded gliders for the Rogoz rack. I'd not intended the rack to be a sound improving item but purely a means of stacking my components so had no qualms about combining additional footers to the rack.

I'd long been an advocate of letting the room sing with the system and creating a synergy of sorts but exposure to my good friend Marc's new loft and his use of acoustic panels led me to purchase some GIK Acoustic Tri-Traps and a few panels for FRPs. I'd known my room had a bass node and some notes would vibrate the whole floor but I got used to that and avoided turning up the EDM to max levels, unless I wanted to burn off some calories.

Fast forward to a completed window installation and repainting and it was time to take delivery of the Rogoz stand. All 125KGs of it! I hadn't expected it to be so heavy, so well made and with exemplary fit and finish. A very impressive stand indeed.

Installation of the Tri-Traps in the room corners looked great, like 2.5m tall subwoofers behind the Duos. White panels at FRPs did not look intrusive on walls and ceiling and all equipment on the stand between the speakers looked tidy and impressive. My only fear was the size of the stand directly between the speakers would impact on sound quality. In actual use it does, compared to the components being at low level, but only to a minor degree and there are other improvements that outweigh the negatives.

The Duos remain in their same position which I found to be ideal in this narrow room and the addition of gliders allows me to now adjust the rake of the speaker and move them more easily to dial into the perfect position. For Duo owners out there, do not rely on the view to the rear bolt/frame as I found this not to be accurate but use a laser alongside the tweeter housing to dial in position, then listen by ear.

Well the musical presentation has changed considerably and I'm slowly adjusting to the wealth of detail I'm now hearing and the bass is tighter, deeper and has more natural impact. Strangely, more bass is being driven into the floorboards but there is less resonance. This is probably the Tri-Traps eliminating the bass nodes and letting the higher frequencies shine.

I'll be honest here, as always, and say it's taking a while to adjust to the new presentation and it will take a while longer to dial in the sound quality to suit my preferences. I prefer an organic, emotional sound to an analytic, accurate one and will take presence over soundstage any day of the week.

I've a few further experimental tweaks to undertake in the coming weeks. I've just ordered some straps to allow me to time align the Duo tweeter and discover what effect this has overall and also have the option to place the top shelf of the Rogoz stand on the Aurios bearings to add additional isolation. I'm a fan of roller bearings but only in conjunction with vertical isolation. I also have one more tricky corner to place a trap into but that may take some imagination.

So, hope you enjoyed my ramble, better than an endless analog/digital debate.
Still some work to do on tweaking the system and room, which I think is a little more lively than previously, but very happy with how it all looks and will do me for some time to come.

Let me know your thoughts, suggestions and questions as I'm willing to try almost anything to improve sound quality still further.

Blue58
ps.the CDs are just for decoration now :)
DSC07037.JPG DSC07045.JPG DSC07036.JPG

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Congrats .. it looks very coo, modern , tidy and neat now .. always good to prune the system now and then and to fish out all those unused cables and devices and tweaks that have been lost for eons
Room is the biggest giver .. sort it out and it works across all equipment and system changes .. cheap to do too...best bang for the buck.
A good room is an always evolving thing ... currently doing some DIY type asc tube traps for mine

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Thanks Rodney,
And if anyone is wondering what the space on the lower shelf is for, it's for this little unit, a Java Triple Shot in walnut to match the amp chassis and shelves. Due soon, been waiting 8 months for it!
IMG_0597.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
A fascinating concept for audiophiles, getting rid of stuff, we all have a inbuilt tendency to accumulate I think.
I've been fortunate enough to get to know young Barry for well over two years, become very good friends with him, and hear his system evolve.
From the early days of his Audio Aero dac/pre powering his own design 45 tube amps, to current SGM server/T&A Dac 8, always thru his trusty Avantgarde Acoustics Duo Omegas horns, and evolution of Sablon cables from Panatellas and Coronas to present Reservas.
One thing has been ever present, other than fantastic hospitality and a great choice of music. And that has been a fantastically holistic presentation to music, transparent and tonally discriminating depending on the recording.
If his system could have been criticised, and this is only noticeable in retrospect as his sound has evolved, was that it had a slightly recessed, dark quality, with the soundstage very far behind the speakers, and some complex prog rock and fusion that I like coming off a bit lower mids/upper bass heavy.
Fast forward 30 months with all his system changes and the sound I'm hearing now is soundstaging much more naturally in the room, and it has a much lighter, more agile quality, less anchored in the low mids, so able to reveal more speed and detail.
All with no compromise on horns transparency and communication.
Well done, my friend.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Blue58!

I enjoyed your detailed explanation, and I am happy for you that all of the improvements have worked out so well!

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Love the new layout, the Rogoz stands look nice, Greg the UK dealer has been onto me for a while to buy one, was wondering if you felt it had any affect on the performance of the system

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Love the new layout, the Rogoz stands look nice, Greg the UK dealer has been onto me for a while to buy one, was wondering if you felt it had any affect on the performance of the system

Sorry Lee for the delay in replying, somehow I missed your post until pointed out to me.

The change in my system's layout has been so great that it is hard to quantify what sound quality improvements each change has brought.
I can say that the Rogoz stand exceeded my expectations in quality of fit and finish and was built to my size requirements with nothing being unachievable.
The shelves are incredibly heavy and the whole stand weighs 125KG. The BBS system works to a degree in giving some lateral movement but not to the degree of roller bearings. I have a spare set of Aurios bearings I may add under the top shelf just for additional isolation.
I'm sure the stand does affect the sound quality in a positive way due to its rigidity and isolation, just can't quantify it.
Rogoz Audio have so many stands to choose from I'm sure there is one that would be perfect for you.
If you're ever in the area and want to check it out you're welcome Lee.
Cheers
Blue58

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing