Kii Three Stereophile Review

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
https://www.stereophile.com/content/kii-audio-three-loudspeaker

Some quotes:

"A pair of Kii Threes, the Kii Control, and a truly high-quality server—such as the Baetis Prodigy X running JRiver Media Center or Roon—would constitute an almost perfect audio system with a minimal room presence"

Conclusions
The Kii Audio Three is an outstanding loudspeaker. However, it took a bit of getting used to—in addition to visual bias, under all but the most ideal situations each of us is adapted to the effect of his or her room on the sound. While I was struck by the transparency of the Kii Threes' soundstaging and transparency, freed as they are from most acoustical influences, the result was somewhat surreal. I found myself groping for explanations that apply more to conventional speakers: What happened to the warmth? Isn't it a bit bright? Is there a midrange suckout? Are the rear-mounted drivers spraying sound out the back to be washed back at me from the front wall?

There was none of that. The Kii Three didn't just lift a veil away from the music—it removed a heavy cloak.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/kii-audio-three-loudspeaker-page-2#FAt742q2DuQdPepC.99

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Fascinating read, although like a lot of other reviews of this speaker that I've read, the reviewer's vague sense of confusion leaves me with a vague sense of confusion.

I still think they are quite likely to feature in my future, especially as the mancave becomes unavailable and I need a simple all-digital system in a compromised space. I've heard them once and liked them, but in a strange room with strange source material there's only so much you can learn. At the time I had some misgivings about a certain "oddness" to the presentation that I coudn't quite identify, more apparent with some material than others. I wonder sometimes if reviewers have the same experience, and certainly KR's conclusion hints at that to me? No matter what, it's still a fairly glowing review, and I was happy to get JA's input too.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, Kal posts here, so maybe he can clear up some of the confusion that might've come across in his writing.

And I may be able to help with any questions you might have too...

cheers,
alex

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I've just reread it, and short of Kal writing "I think Diapason should buy these immediately" I don't know what else it would take to satisfy me!!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
So there you go! Waiting for Kal to issue the command in 3...2...1... :)

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I've just reread it, and short of Kal writing "I think Diapason should buy these immediately" I don't know what else it would take to satisfy me!!

"I think Diapason should buy these for me immediately" :p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
My take in my room:

The speakers are incredibly resolving and transparent, which is both a plus and a minus. On great recordings they are really incredible. On lousy recordings they are insufferable -- you hear all the compressors used to drive up volume and drive down dynamic range and easily hear when multiple parties recorded their components in different environments that were later mixed together. I'm considering feeding them via a DAC with a nice 300B tube buffer in the chain, but will have to figure out how to do that and keep them integrated into my theater chain.

The complete thread here:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?23469-Kii-3-Response

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Bruce...any headway into the 300B solution? Perhaps a used Lampi Lite 7 with 300B may do the trick. Its not just a buffer, but actively a part of the amplification chain.
There are 2 available on Audiogon now. One via the OP of this thread:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings?s...&location_filter_radius=25&filter_category_id[]=37&filter_category_id[]=37&min_condition=1&max_condition=11&listing_types_auctions=1&listing_types_classifieds=1

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I'm going to try a tricked out 300B unity gain tube buffer from Purity Audio. It's only purpose is to add 300B sweetness to source chains. The chassis is on back order, so it'll likely be late next month.

If if it doesn't work for that purpose I'll add that unit to my DirecTV chain to sweeten TV.

If if I had a Lampi with balanced output I'd use that, but I don't.

Last edited:

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Switched from generic power cords to Shunyata Sigma. Really nice improvement; noticeably "smoother" and less "edgey".

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Oh yeah power cords do make a significant difference on the Kiis! We've been using Kubala-Sosna Fascination on them, adds a bit more body and smooths things down a notch too!

cheers,
alex

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Bruce, how are you coping in Houston area right now?
_____

The Kii Three speakers seem to be ideal for picking the good music recordings from the bad ones.

Where I live it's been fine. Power flickered and surged which popped two fuses but otherwise no issues. Others were far less fortunate.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Good to hear. Sorry for the others there.

Not good, but such is life.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing