Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kii Three Stereophile Review

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!

Kii Three Stereophile Review

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ee-loudspeaker

Some quotes:

"A pair of Kii Threes, the Kii Control, and a truly high-quality server—such as the Baetis Prodigy X running JRiver Media Center or Roon—would constitute an almost perfect audio system with a minimal room presence"

Conclusions
    The Kii Audio Three is an outstanding loudspeaker. However, it took a bit of getting used to—in addition to visual bias, under all but the most ideal situations each of us is adapted to the effect of his or her room on the sound. While I was struck by the transparency of the Kii Threes' soundstaging and transparency, freed as they are from most acoustical influences, the result was somewhat surreal. I found myself groping for explanations that apply more to conventional speakers: What happened to the warmth? Isn't it a bit bright? Is there a midrange suckout? Are the rear-mounted drivers spraying sound out the back to be washed back at me from the front wall?

There was none of that. The Kii Three didn't just lift a veil away from the music—it removed a heavy cloak.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/...2q2DuQdPepC.99
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - San Diego, CA
    Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Fascinating read, although like a lot of other reviews of this speaker that I've read, the reviewer's vague sense of confusion leaves me with a vague sense of confusion.

I still think they are quite likely to feature in my future, especially as the mancave becomes unavailable and I need a simple all-digital system in a compromised space. I've heard them once and liked them, but in a strange room with strange source material there's only so much you can learn. At the time I had some misgivings about a certain "oddness" to the presentation that I coudn't quite identify, more apparent with some material than others. I wonder sometimes if reviewers have the same experience, and certainly KR's conclusion hints at that to me? No matter what, it's still a fairly glowing review, and I was happy to get JA's input too.

Well, Kal posts here, so maybe he can clear up some of the confusion that might've come across in his writing.

And I may be able to help with any questions you might have too...

cheers,
    alex
    Disclosure:
    Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics

I've just reread it, and short of Kal writing "I think Diapason should buy these immediately" I don't know what else it would take to satisfy me!!

So there you go! Waiting for Kal to issue the command in 3...2...1...
    Disclosure:

Quote Originally Posted by Diapason View Post
    I've just reread it, and short of Kal writing "I think Diapason should buy these immediately" I don't know what else it would take to satisfy me!!
    "I think Diapason should buy these for me immediately"
    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round/

I just read the title as "Kill Three Stereophile Reviewers" and thought "It's a bit much".
    Digital Source: dCS Rossini CDP + Clock
    Integrated Amp: Pass Labs INT-250
    Speakers: Wilson Audio Alexia
    Signal Cables: Transparent Reference MM2
    Power Cables: Transparent XL Gen 5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by parkcaka View Post
    I just read the title as "Kill Three Stereophile Reviewers" and thought "It's a bit much".
    Lol
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

LOL all round!
    Wadia 581SE - Mark Levinson 432 - Sonus Faber Elipsa Red (SE) - GIK Acoustic panels - Kubala-Sosna cables - Finite Elemente Levelplus rack

My take in my room:

The speakers are incredibly resolving and transparent, which is both a plus and a minus. On great recordings they are really incredible. On lousy recordings they are insufferable -- you hear all the compressors used to drive up volume and drive down dynamic range and easily hear when multiple parties recorded their components in different environments that were later mixed together. I'm considering feeding them via a DAC with a nice 300B tube buffer in the chain, but will have to figure out how to do that and keep them integrated into my theater chain.

The complete thread here:
    http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?23469-Kii-3-Response

Preamps: ADA Reference (multichannel); VTL 7.5 II (two channel)
    Digital: MSB Transport+ Platinum V DAC. Core Audio + MicroRendu streaming; Roon+HQP+FabFilter/Acourate; Trinnov (multichannel)
    Speakers: PRO Audio Technology 2115sm across fronts; 4x 18" PRO subs; 11.4 overall
    Room: Design by Dennis Erskine and Keith Yates. Extensive use of RPG custom bass traps
    Power: Richard Gray 20A UPS and isolation transformer. Triton/Typhon and Sound Application. Shunyata Sigma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast