August 2017 Furry Fosterlings

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Three five week (just about) old kittens. Still a little wobbly about the legs, able to climb but they get about 2 feet off the ground and cry for help. A game Cat-Daddy friend had been lobbying for a "Mamba" after his favorite basketball player so I decided that the other two needed "Sportsball" names too. So, meet Penny (dilute Calico), Mamba the many spotted and Magic two spots.

all_three.jpg

Just picked them up Wednesday, so they've only been with me a day. Still young enough to require replacement "mother-cat washing" - I massage their bellies after every meal - helps with their digestion and makes for not-so-smelly-and-harder-poop. Ahhh! The glamorous life of a kitten foster mother!

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Kittens were a little "trembly" and wobbly about the legs - after a few days in the cage and good food, Penny and Mamba have perked up and are bouncing around the house. Magic, however was lethargic over the weekend and a little cold. I feared "Fading Kitten Syndrome" or just plain "Failure to Thrive" which is not uncommon in these rescue kittens. Abandoned... low birth weight, unhealthy mothers... all can be contributors. I kept him warm and tried to tempt him with the tastiest canned foods abut he was not eating well either.

Magic.jpg

Here he is on a heated rice filled sock.
Magic_2spot.jpg

He was taken to the vets this morning - indeed, his temperature was low and he was a little dehydrated, so he received fluids (which includes vitamins), a tube of high calorie gel, some tasty prescription cat food and is resting on a hot sock.

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Learned their history when I got Magic back. The mother cat was trapped and found to be lactating - which clued the rescuers to a nest of kittens hidden away somewhere. They were found 5 days later. Which means they starved for 5 days when they were only about 3 weeks old - which resulted in them eating whatever was near them - twigs, grass, dirt - then after they were reunited with the queen for about a week, some days-old kittens were found. They were bottle fed for a couple of days before they tried to see if this queen would accept them. She did - that meant these guys had to be taken away. The disparity in age/size would put the younger kittens at risk. Little wonder they were a little wobbly and looked like they were only perhaps 4 weeks when I got them.

I've been far more diligent about massaging them, especially their bellies since I found out, to help them clear their guts of any foreign matter. Magic was expressing a lot of "stuff" - and we hope he does not have a blockage. He's slowing getting better. They are all growing stronger every day. Phew! It's really hard to pull them back once they start to fade.

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
I've had friends come over twice to help me massage kitten bellies (and all over really) - gets the circulation and digestion running - something they are sorely lacking from loss of mother cat to groom them. Magic is well on the road to recovery at this time (yay!) - he is eating well (they all are) and playing although he tires easily.

Huddled on the heat pad / warm sock on a cool day.
Kitten_pile.jpg

Spots! They have such unique markings.
Spots.jpg

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Kitten weigh-in. Magic was only 13oz when he came back from the vets about 10 days ago. He is now 1lb 7oz. Eating like a champ, loves the nutri-gel - I no longer have to swipe it in his mouth - in fact, they all like it so much they come running across the room for it. Penny is 1lb 10oz and Mamba is 1lb 11oz. They are scheduled for their Spay/Neuter if they make weight (2lbs) on the 16th. If Magic is still weak, he get a reprieve. He is finally running after his siblings today. For the past few days, he was play wrestling his siblings only if they came over to bop him. Today, he participated in the rough and tumble. Yay! He still tires easily, but is growing stronger every day

Magic - looking much better. Holding his head up. Alert, not droopy.
Magic2.jpg

Mamba - love it when they cock their head at you.
Mamba2.jpg

Penny - look at the curiosity in her eyes. :)
Penny2.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing